Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,074 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Animals Endemic To Nigeria - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Animals Endemic To Nigeria (46230 Views)

Photos Of Pregnant Animals / Many Animals Are Way Bigger Than We Think (Photos) / Photos Of The Snake Man Of Lagos And His Over 30 Different Animals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Animals Endemic To Nigeria by theenchanter: 2:50pm On Jan 26, 2020
Endemic animals are animals that can be found in a particular place. Here are some endemic Animals to Nigeria.

1..... IBADAN MALIMBE (Malimbus Ibadanensis)
It is endemic to Nigeria, where it is known only from the southwestern part of the country, including the city of Ibadan (in Oyo) which it's named after. It was first discovered in 1951 and was common at one point, Forest clearing made it rare. The bird is about 20 centimeters long. The male is black with a red head and breast. The female has smaller red areas.

2.... JOS PLATEAU INDIGOBIRD (Visua Maryae)
The Jos Plateau indigobird is a species of bird in the family Viduidae. It is endemic to Nigeria.

3...... ROCK FIREFINCH (Lagonostica Sanguinodorsalis)
The rock firefinch is a species of estrildid finch found in the Jos Plateau of central Nigeria.

4...... ANAMBRA WAXBILL (Estrilda Poliopareia)
The Anambra waxbill is a species of estrildid finch found in wetter land of southern Nigeria.

10 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by Madara12(m): 2:58pm On Jan 26, 2020
theenchanter:
Endemic animals are animals that can be found in a particular place. Here are some endemic Animals to Nigeria.

1..... IBADAN MALIMBE (Malimbus Ibadanensis)
It is endemic to Nigeria, where it is known only from the southwestern part of the country, including the city of Ibadan (in Oyo) which it's named after. It was first discovered in 1951 and was common at one point, Forest clearing made it rare. The bird is about 20 centimeters long. The male is black with a red head and breast. The female has smaller red areas.

2.... JOS PLATEAU INDIGOBIRD (Visua Maryae)
The Jos Plateau indigobird is a species of bird in the family Viduidae. It is endemic to Nigeria.

3...... ROCK FIREFINCH (Lagonostica Sanguinodorsalis)
The rock firefinch is a species of estrildid finch found in the Jos Plateau of central Nigeria.

4...... ANAMBRA WAXBILL (Estrilda Poliopareia)
The Anambra waxbill is a species of estrildid finch found in wetter land of southern Nigeria.

OP just tell us that only the family of finch's decided to live and breed in nigeria

11 Likes

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by theenchanter: 3:03pm On Jan 26, 2020
5.... NIGERIAN TOAD (Slerophrys Perreti).
Sclerophrys perreti is a species of toad in the family Bufonidae. It is endemic to the Idanre Hills in southwestern Nigeria.Sclerophrys perreti is one the frogs declared as "Lost" in 2010.However, it was re-discovered at its type locality in 2013.

6..... DANKO PUDDLE FROG (Phrynobatrachus Danko)
This specie of puddle frog (Phrynobatrachus) is described from the Kurmin Danko Forest Reserve on the western edge of the Mambilla Plateau in eastern Nigeria.

7.... GIANT FOREST GECKO (Cnemaspis Gigas)
Cnemaspis gigas, also known as Perret's Nigeria gecko or giant forest gecko, is a species of gecko endemic to Nigeria.

8.... ONDO FOREST GECKO (Cnemaspis Petrodroma)
Ondo forest gecko also known as the Nigeria crag gecko or Ondo forest gecko, is a species of gecko endemic to Nigeria

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by theenchanter: 3:14pm On Jan 26, 2020
9.... WEST AFRICA WORM LIZARD (Baika Africana)
The West African worm lizard (Baikia africana) is a species of worm lizards found in Nigeria. It is the only species in the genus Baikia. It can only be found in Mokwa.

10.....SCALER'S GUENON (Cercopithecus Sclateri)
Sclater's guenon (Cercopithecus sclateri), also known as Sclater's monkey and the Nigerian monkey, is an Old World monkey that was first described by Reginald Innes Pocock in 1904 and named after Philip Sclater. It is an arboreal and diurnal primate that lives in the forests of southern Nigeria.

11.......FOX SHAGGY RAT (Dasymys Foxi)
Fox's shaggy rat is a species of rodent in the family Muridae.
It is found only in Nigeria.
Its natural habitats are moist savanna, subtropical or tropical seasonally wet or flooded lowland grassland, swampland, and plantations.

12.....GOTED MOUNTAIN SOFT-FURRED MOUSE (Praomys Obscurus)
The Gotel Mountain soft-furred mouse or Gotel Mountain praomys (Praomys obscurus) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae. It is endemic to the Gotel Mountains in southeastern Nigeria.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by Namdeenero(m): 3:17pm On Jan 26, 2020
Keep them coming bro.. This is what we come to petland for

1 Like

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by theenchanter: 3:19pm On Jan 26, 2020
13..... SAVANAH SWAMP SHEW (Crocidura Longipes)
The Savanna swamp shrew is a species of mammal in the family Soricidae. It is endemic to Nigeria. Its natural habitat is swamps and It is threatened by habitat loss.

14...... NIGER DELTA RED COLOBUS MONKEY (Piliocolobus Epieni)
The Niger Delta red colobus is a critically endangered species of colobus monkey endemic to the western part of the Niger Delta. It is threatened by hunting and habitat loss.

*...... NIGERIAN FILE SNAKE (Gonionotophis Egbensis)

*.........IBADAN TREAD SNAKE (Tricheilostoma greenwelli (Squamata Serpentes - Leptotyphlopidae)

(*) Can't get their pictures.

These are some of the animals endemic to Nigeria. Some other animals are endemic to Nigeria/Niger, Nigeria/Cameroon which are not included.

Most of these animals are close to extinction. cry

4 Likes

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by theenchanter: 3:36pm On Jan 26, 2020
Madara12:

OP just tell us that only the family of finch's decided to live and breed in nigeria
the same reason u decided to be born, live and breed in Nigeria.

Its not their decision actually, its nature.

3 Likes

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by Madara12(m): 4:34pm On Jan 26, 2020
theenchanter:
the same reason u decided to be born, live and breed in Nigeria.

Its not their decision actually, its nature.

That's my point before, they love this wasted country, jeez

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by solmusdesigns: 6:09pm On Jan 26, 2020
cool

Ibadan, ile iba oluyole... sometimes climate, weather, topography, and diet influence how DNA evolves

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by midnighter(f): 6:10pm On Jan 26, 2020
Beautiful thread op, thanks.

I know some sadistic elements on this forum will be salivating at these pictures and wondering how to divide their meat for soup smh

Make coronavirus no catch una o

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by MartinCorridon: 6:11pm On Jan 26, 2020
tongue
Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by sotall(m): 6:12pm On Jan 26, 2020
Ok
Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by jimmyolasun: 6:12pm On Jan 26, 2020
all I see is bush meats
eran igbe everywhere

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by Albert0011(m): 6:12pm On Jan 26, 2020
Nice one..i urge Nigerian's to embrace nature and wildlife.
We should stop killing these animal's recklessly cuz very soon they will go into extinction.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by penzino(m): 6:13pm On Jan 26, 2020
Mambilla is eastern Nigeria?
Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by Monaco2(m): 6:13pm On Jan 26, 2020
cool
Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by dapsoneh: 6:14pm On Jan 26, 2020
Very informative
Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by ImMamaPikin: 6:14pm On Jan 26, 2020
very educative...
at least I don know say there is a word like "endemic" � and it means animals wey d peculiar to an area

17 Likes

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by upower123(m): 6:14pm On Jan 26, 2020
Nice one.. I hope they are safe.. We dey chop anything available
Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by upower123(m): 6:15pm On Jan 26, 2020
Nice one.. I hope they are safe.. We dey chop anything available

1 Like

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by bjgurl(f): 6:16pm On Jan 26, 2020
It's the fox shaggy rat that keeps disturbing me in my room, I have killed up to 8 now.
Hope they don't cause Lassa fever.

2 Likes

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by SocialJustice: 6:17pm On Jan 26, 2020
jimmyolasun:
all I see is bush meats

eran igbe everywhere
Bush meats, why won't everything appear as food to you.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by okpalaAnambra: 6:17pm On Jan 26, 2020
Nonsense..from number 1 to 4 can all be found in my village cool shocked

1 Like

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by Sweetcollins: 6:17pm On Jan 26, 2020
Nsukkadrillus mbae
Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 26, 2020
theenchanter:
9.... WEST AFRICA WORM LIZARD (Baika Africana)
The West African worm lizard (Baikia africana) is a species of worm lizards found in Nigeria. It is the only species in the genus Baikia. It can only be found in Mokwa.

Don't know about y'all but this creature sure looks weird. Talking about the Worm Lizard.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by TOPCRUISE(m): 6:18pm On Jan 26, 2020
grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Animals Endemic To Nigeria by JubrinElSudan: 6:19pm On Jan 26, 2020
How about "Nsukkadrilus mbaee"?

12 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See The White Lizard I Saw Today (photo) / Top5 Most Dangerous Animals In The World / 17-Year-Old Boy Helps Polytechnic To Build Nigeria's First Locally-Made Drone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.