Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,627 members, 7,823,760 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles (26096 Views)

Wike Orders Task Force To Destroy 500 Impounded Commercial Motorcycles / LASG Reiterates Ban On Commercial Motorcycles In Restricted Areas / Lagos Impounds 100 Commercial Motorcycles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by berrystunn(m): 1:10pm On Jan 31, 2020
Davash222:
Then, who licensed them

CAC did

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by northbird: 1:12pm On Jan 31, 2020
mrsage:

We all know the bike and Kekes guys do not pay taxes, but like it or not, its an economic activity.

Says who? Whether thru d organised rides ( opay, gokada n co) n the informal guys. They pay.

All the tickets they give them at the stops, by the touts/ nurtw. you think a cut of that is not going back to the govt.

Don't say what you don't know

6 Likes

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by llade(m): 1:13pm On Jan 31, 2020
Brandstudio01:
I pity for Opay. Please always considered the future before investing your hard earned money in any venture
Investment needs serious analysis oh.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by deboysben(m): 1:14pm On Jan 31, 2020
GamalNasser:
Hmmm who do we believe
afonjas are doing it against 2023 election

They think they are smart .

Northerners are waiting for them in 2023
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Onlineclothing(m): 1:14pm On Jan 31, 2020
You can order for clean Europe made pant trousers all colours and size for 1500.
Chinos and shirt available too pay on delivery within Lagos
Check contact on profile
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by GoddonBishop: 1:15pm On Jan 31, 2020
Davash222:
Then, who licensed them

� CORPORATE AFFAIRS COMMISSION �

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Doubleoh7: 1:20pm On Jan 31, 2020
But yet you collect #500 from the bike guys daily?

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by babesiosis: 1:21pm On Jan 31, 2020
payperpost:
Very good
!! majority of you don't know the implications of having illegal immigrants everywhere including boko haram elements in thousands in Lagos disguising as okada men., plateau state for instance banned it during Jos crisis and that was the end of the crisis because these fighters and trouble makers relocated to southwest.
the moment okada was banned in those states, they started throwing their okada into the next available trailer heading to Lagos, that is what is responsible for the high number of Chadians , Nigeriens , Senegalese and Malians you see in Lagos today, a LGA office was burnt down few weeks ago including all the sewing machines the government is using for skill empowerment programmes, that is boko haram loading.
they even burgled all the offices and stole all valuables in the broad day light .
this is a matter of security of life and security
No talk much bro, this is the link to it..
https://www.nairaland.com/5624870/hausa-youths-go-rampage-set

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Salmoneus(m): 1:22pm On Jan 31, 2020
hmm

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Ritchiee: 1:24pm On Jan 31, 2020
Do not take away a mans means of livelihood,do you expect him to steal to survive?
Leave them for 8 months as they are gradually faced out.Invite some of them to go into mechanised farming.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Africomterror: 1:25pm On Jan 31, 2020
Wow
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Mizwisdom(f): 1:25pm On Jan 31, 2020
It's obvious that Jagaban and his BRT idea is failing that's why he wants to frustrate motorcyclists.
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Emily22(m): 1:31pm On Jan 31, 2020
OlujobaSamuel:

Says who?
They are now recklessly reckless sef. The last two ride I booked in december, mu heart was in my throat waiting to pop out of my mouth and their customer care service is wack. One of their bikers even fell a yam seller wares placed in a wheelbarrow last Saturday at egbada, and he never tried to help, when people called his attention to it, he said shey na Der be him shop, and he went away.

Lwkm ooo

After the last one wey carry me from Ikeja to Iju ishaga, I promised myself not to use oride again.....jeez...they got diz feeling like they are riding power bike...

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Iyiataata92: 1:31pm On Jan 31, 2020
fireback:
nobody go contact you for badmouthing another person business.
i dont think you live in lagos, if you do, you would have agreed with this the guy.
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by KingAzari: 1:33pm On Jan 31, 2020
mrsage:
Let's get things clear.
I'm not in love with okoada and Kekes. They also have their faults.

However the government approach is wrong.

First they should consider the social consequences of this so called "restriction".

These bikes and Kekes are a business, Micro Finance banks (who pay taxes to government and employ Lagosians ) have invested heavily in this mode of transportation. How do we expect them to recover?

If the government decides to ban, why can't they give the operators some time. 6-8 months notice is not a bad idea.

Then every party involved will have time to plan an exit strategy.

If you take away a mans means of livelihood how do you expect him to survive?

All the states in SE and SS have banned okada and nobody died. If you knew the nuisance and security threat posed by this okada riders - 80% of them from the north.

Every "mallam" in Lagos rides a bike; whether he understands what he is doing or not. Any small altercation, they'd gather in numbers and threaten fire � and violence. They know nothing about road signs, break traffic rules and laws with recklessness and rascality. They send nnocent people to untimely avoidable deaths. They constitute traffic mayhem and some are robbers and criminals in disguise. The last time I was coming from Cotonou to Lagos, I saw hell from Okoko till VI. The activities of these guys required a state of emergency declaration.

Please remember there is an existing law in Lagos that bans the activities of okada operation in Lagos. Fashola enforced total ban but Ambode came and played politics with it. Engaging an illegal business has its consequences.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Witchersunited: 1:40pm On Jan 31, 2020
Banning bikes and Keke is stupid, robbers use cars too, are you going to ban it's use? Most of the people making rules are the people least affected by the rules, going into some streets especially surulere, require bike, they are long and the sun is unforgiving

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by tweakdude1: 1:47pm On Jan 31, 2020
Am out of words. smiley
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by NGRsenate: 1:49pm On Jan 31, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

They dont owe anybody an alternative. You should be asking yourself, now that okada and napep is banned, what alternative do you have for yourself?

Huh?

Wtf is this?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by NGRsenate: 1:52pm On Jan 31, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

Government does not owe you job in return for your tax.

Amnesty rewards is not our way of life in Yorubaland.

Govt does not owe you job, and you had better not go into crime if you know whats good for you.

Relocate to other states where you can earn money with your okada.

What is this nonsense?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by uuzba(m): 1:57pm On Jan 31, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

They dont owe anybody an alternative. You should be asking yourself, now that okada and napep is banned, what alternative do you have for yourself?
Are you ok?
How can the government of a state not care about transportation of the citizens of that state?
Does BRT stop in front of everybody's doorstep?

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by MrNipplesLover(m): 2:02pm On Jan 31, 2020
las las, everybody go resolve to skateboarding, make everybody just go buy skateboard put for house. if u want go work, market or an event, just dust your skateboard and voom, you go.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by uuzba(m): 2:04pm On Jan 31, 2020
scribble:
Oride and gokada knew the law before embarking on operation

Okada has been banned since Fashola administration
Ehen, so how come they are riding the bike in broad daylight without issues until now?
Look it is simply jealousy.
They set up a business that uses online payment and the business is doing fantastic.
This is same with Über.
Über has this same issue in every country of the world. They rival traditional offline taxi service. The taxi drivers get jealous and try to shutdown über. But it never works.
Somebody is jealous of Gokada's success

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by brownemmanuel43(m): 2:14pm On Jan 31, 2020
Kai, so what will happen to Opay investment and the likes do na. One problem why some don't like to do business in Nigeria is bcs of this kind wahala.
Some borrowed to invest with riders company, but now what will be their fate. Govt policies has been killing many businesses in naija. After everything, u are now telling them that u didn't license them to operate which I doubt.
A company cannot just wake and start existing without proper documentation and registration.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by goshen26: 2:14pm On Jan 31, 2020
OK....

It is a welcome development if okada riding can be regularised I. e let them register under a company.

Ensure that:

You can communicate in a Nigerian language. The one that took me last night did not understand common "go" I was d one that directed him to my destination.

That they have lassra... The way they troop in from Mali, Niger and other neighbouring countries is alarming. They are always ready to fight, knowing that they can't be traded.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by duwdu: 2:16pm On Jan 31, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Leave Opay alone..they are not reckless

Funny you. How do you know OPay riders have not been reckless? Are you riding with each and every OPay motorcycle driver all of the time?

P34c3
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by olumike001(m): 2:17pm On Jan 31, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

I dont understand how you think...

They dont owe anybody alternative?
So what alternative do you as a person had for yourself?sit inside the bus for hours while trailers park on the apapa express road.

They should also send those trailers away from the major road thats not a park, Lagos state govt is getting money from them.

Government should provide alternative for both the riders and the people at large.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by GamalNasser: 2:19pm On Jan 31, 2020
northbird:

Says who? Whether thru d organised rides ( opay, gokada n co) n the informal guys. They pay.

All the tickets they give them at the stops, by the touts/ nurtw. you think a cut of that is not going back to the govt.

Don't say what you don't know

Don't mind him , too many NIGERIANS are too ignorant Keke bikes and busses pay over 500 million dollars a year to Lagos govt backed ticketeers

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Xisnin(m): 2:22pm On Jan 31, 2020
Brandstudio01:
I pity for Opay. Please always considered the future before investing your hard earned money in any venture
It is not the future.
They did not consider the past Lagos law on Okada.
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Xisnin(m): 2:25pm On Jan 31, 2020
mushystuff:
Does it mean Gokada and Opay companies are not registered and haven't been paying taxes to Lagos state out of proceeds from the same okada business? Is it not the state's task force that forces regular okada riders to buy daily or weekly tickets? Were these same okada riders not mobilized for election campaigns? Now see denial.

Even if the state wants to phase out okada and keke, there should have been at least 6 months notice within which time the government can plan and deploy alternative transportation along affected routes while the okada operators use the time to transit to other businesses or other approved modes of transport.

That way citizens/residents are taken into consideration and not subject to unnecessary suffering. Besides when will the government ban cars and trailers for accidents and deaths?
Why are you guys commenting as if this is the first time LASG is banning Okadas?
Were you not born during Fashola's tenure?
Lagos does not register Okada business any more than it does groundnut hawkers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP's 59th Birthday Message To Jonathan (photos) / Shattered Bodies Of Two Suicide Bombers In Jiddari, Maiduguri (Graphic Photos) / All My Appointees Have Abandoned Me – Ortom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.