Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,563 members, 7,958,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:12 PM

Help With This Job Switch Decision - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Help With This Job Switch Decision (523 Views)

Please Help Me Confirm If This Job Invitation Is Real!! / Are You Interested In This Job? / My Friend Got This Job Interview Invite, Pls Is It Real (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With This Job Switch Decision by adanny01(m): 1:59pm On Jan 30, 2020
My wife is a teacher with the state ministry. She has spent 13yrs on the job and has risen to salary grade level 12.

She interviewed and was successful for the state college of education lecturing job.

The issue is:

1. The COE entry level pay is the same as her current pay. However the current job has had its new minimum wage added while the COE have not had the increase yet.

2. The COE promotion doesn't come every 3 years like in the ministry where she will be a director in the next 12years.

3. As an academic staff in the COE, at a point, promotion will depend on her qualification. This means she will have to go for 2nd degree and even Phd to climb to the top.

4. Her current school is 2km from home while the COE is 32km away (95% of the lecturers don't stay within 5km of the school).

5. She has her 1st degree in chemistry but has always taught physics because of her physics/chemistry NCE.

My wife doesn't want to go but some people think she should.

I dont want her to lose a good opportunity.

1 Like

Re: Help With This Job Switch Decision by youngsahito(m): 2:06pm On Jan 30, 2020
adanny01:
My wife is a teacher with the state ministry. She has spent 13yrs on the job and have risen to salary grade level 12.

She interviewed and was successful for the state college of education lecturing job.

The issue is:

1. The COE entry level pay is the same as her current pay. However the current job has had its new minimum wage added while the COE have not had the increase yet.

2. The COE promotion doesn't come every 3 years like in the ministry where she will be a director in the next 12years.

3. As an academic staff in the COE, at a point, promotion will depend on her qualification. This means she will have to go for 2nd degree and even Phd to climb to the top.

4. Her current school is 2km from home while the COE is 32km away (95% of the lecturers don't stay within 5km of the school).

5. She has her 1st degree in chemistry but has always taught physics because of her physics/chemistry NCE.

let the academicians in the house decide on this
Re: Help With This Job Switch Decision by thebigkendo(m): 2:44pm On Jan 30, 2020
adanny01:
My wife is a teacher with the state ministry. She has spent 13yrs on the job and has risen to salary grade level 12.

The issue is:

Is she ready to go for a second degree? If the answer is No, let her jejely continue teaching her physic.

Chai one of the reasons i miss government job!!!!!! She already know what position she will be in 12 year time grin grin
I laugh in Private company grin grin
Re: Help With This Job Switch Decision by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:30pm On Jan 30, 2020
thebigkendo:

Is she ready to go for a second degree? If the answer is No, let her jejely continue teaching her physic.

Chai one of the reasons i miss government job!!!!!! She already know what position she will be in 12 year time grin grin
I laugh in Private company grin grin

grin
Re: Help With This Job Switch Decision by simonlee(m): 10:16pm On Jan 30, 2020
I know your wife just got employed by Kaduna state college of education.
my advice: let her take the lecturing job. 12years from now, where lecturing will take her, classroom teachers will not near there.
Re: Help With This Job Switch Decision by micflo28(m): 11:34pm On Jan 30, 2020
Take the lecturing job. I have seen lots of people cross over to mainstream universities from COE lecturing after years of solid performance.
Re: Help With This Job Switch Decision by Nobody: 5:51am On Feb 01, 2020
simonlee:
I know your wife just got employed by Kaduna state college of education.
my advice: let her take the lecturing job. 12years from now, where lecturing will take her, classroom teachers will not near there.
Adanny you need to stop this. Protect your family's privacy.
Re: Help With This Job Switch Decision by Nobody: 5:54am On Feb 01, 2020
To the topic.... I don't know what you want in life and home front. I suggest you seek advice from couples who have been there done that.... especially academicians and civil servants preferably retired ones or about to retire. The answer is not as straightforward as you want.

The academic tertiary institution lecturing is not usually what it appears to be from outside.... Send me a PM

(1) (Reply)

Massive Nationwide Recruitment At INEC 2020 - Jobly / Vacancy / Jpts Free Digital Marketing Training And Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.