Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,531 members, 7,812,652 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

Kwanzaa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kwanzaa (4683 Views)

Kwanzaa.... / Happy Kwanzaa / Kwanzaa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kwanzaa by Cristally(f): 4:29pm On May 31, 2007
Please I have a question to the nigerian ppl.
In another Forum, we have a discussion about the ceremony
of Kwanzaa (please google for it, because I canĀ“t explain it so well)
and the ideas behind it.

http://www.officialkwanzaawebsite.org/index.shtml - for example

And please - I only want the "real" african people to give their opinion - means
the ones, who are living in Nigeria or Africa.
It would be very helpfull.
Thank you in advance
Re: Kwanzaa by ghettochyk(f): 12:09am On Jun 01, 2007
sorry, i didn't read dat link. but i'll you i thing about kwanzaa.
i middle school (at a new school), during Christmas time, my teacher didn't wanna "offend" me by giving me Christmas candies and stuff cus after i told her i'm african, she thot i celebrate kwanzaa. before dat, i never even heard of Kwanzaa and i after dat, i asked many africans dat i knew about it, they're were also clueless but some said it's dis one african-american holiday about connecting to their roots or something. but i don't think many africans (I'll say Nigerians) dat's never left africa (Nigeria) know much about Kwanzaa. i bet if i went back to Naija and asked a random person, s/he prolly say "Kwa-what?"

well, i hope my post helped in whatever you were tryna find out since you didn't really specify.
Re: Kwanzaa by Ikomi(m): 12:56am On Jun 01, 2007
Kwanzaa, maybe its not said properly, but if thats the real pronounciation it must be a ceremony that was conducted in one of those slave ships by the slaves just to keep there spirit up. And it always dies when they get on shore. At this present time and age one of the survivors decides to remember it and make something big of it. If u find anything contrary to my view please let us know.

As that name does not sound anything like Yoruba or Igbo where most of the slaves taken from Nigeria came from.

Kwanzaa maybe its devine inspiration.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Kwanzaa by lazy(m): 9:42pm On Jun 18, 2007
I am wondering what kind of response you were looking for from individuals living in Africa? It isn't an African Holiday in that sense. Kwanzaa is a Pan-African Holiday that was created in the US. It was basically created for the Africans in the Diaspora (mainly in the US) to allow them to reconnected with their ancestors (that were left in Africa and those sprinkled across the western hemisphere) and to remember the struggle (Slavery, 40 acres and a mule, Black Codes, Jim Crow, etc, ).
Re: Kwanzaa by BlackMamba(m): 9:52pm On Jun 20, 2007
The Idea is laudable for African Americans but not practical for most Africans. There is no unified African culture that every African can rally around. Each African tribe has distinct language and culture which they will not substitute for another. Some of the terms seem African but obviously not Igbo which I can relate to.
Re: Kwanzaa by lazy(m): 10:26pm On Jun 20, 2007
I defiantly understand what you are talking about when you stated:

"Some of the terms seem African but obviously not Igbo which I can relate to."

A large portion of African Americans don't relate to it either. I think when the holiday was created it was with the ideal of Pan Africanism in mind. They were trying to keep alive the ideals of Henry Sylvester-Williams (Trinadad), WEB Dubios (USA), Kwame Nukramah (Ghana), Patrice Lumumba (Congo), Jomo Kenyatta (Kenya) etc. The whole concept of seeking to unify the global African community for the goal of uplifting all Africans worldwide. There isn't any one group's culture I can say that makes up all of Kwanzaa so that is why Africans (even African Americans) don't relate to it. I think the principles of Kwanzaa are good (Unity, Self Determination, Collective Work and Responsibility, etc, ) but i can understand why most don't relate to the holiday.
Re: Kwanzaa by Horus(m): 8:56pm On Dec 21, 2007

Kwanzaa is an African American and Pan-African holiday which celebrates family, community and culture. Celebrated from 26 December thru 1 January, its origins are in the first harvest celebrations of Africa from which it takes its name. The name Kwanzaa is derived from the phrase "matunda ya kwanza" which means "first fruits" in Swahili, a Pan-African language which is the most widely spoken African language.
The first-fruits celebrations are recorded in African history as far back as ancient Egypt and Nubia and appear in ancient and modern times in other classical African civilizations such as Ashantiland and Yorubaland. These celebrations are also found in ancient and modern times among societies as large as empires (the Zulu or kingdoms (Swaziland) or smaller societies and groups like the Matabele, Thonga and Lovedu, all of southeastern Africa. Kwanzaa builds on the five fundamental activities of Continental African "first fruit" celebrations: ingathering; reverence; commemoration; recommitment; and celebration. Kwanzaa, then, is:
a time of ingathering of the people to reaffirm the bonds between them;
a time of special reverence for the creator and creation in thanks and respect for the blessings, bountifulness and beauty of creation;
a time for commemoration of the past in pursuit of its lessons and in honor of its models of human excellence, our ancestors;
a time of recommitment to our highest cultural ideals in our ongoing effort to always bring forth the best of African cultural thought and practice; and
a time for celebration of the Good, the good of life and of existence itself, the good of family, community and culture, the good of the awesome and the ordinary, in a word the good of the divine, natural and social.
Re: Kwanzaa by davidif: 10:14pm On Dec 25, 2007
As a Nigerian born and raised i can confidently tell you we don't celebrate kwanzaa. We celebrate christmas and since we are very deeply religious (either christian or muslim) we focus more on the religious part of christmas rather than the material (the giving of gifts), we even say merry christmas rather than the politically correct happy holidays. Also, if you ask most africans what kwanzaa is they would look at you strangely like what are you saying, most africans have never even heard of MLK jr talkless of kwanzaa. In Nigeria, even muslims also celebrate christmas. grin grin grin
Re: Kwanzaa by wendymanda: 1:33am On Dec 28, 2007
Kwanzaa is similar to Black Histroy month in that it was started in the 60s I think by someone that thought blacks should not celebrate white people's holiday. However it's only recognized in the U.S, I lived in Jamaica and I'd never heard of it till I came here.
Re: Kwanzaa by Horus(m): 9:55am On Dec 16, 2017

(1) (Reply)

(Picture) Prince Abdul Rasheed Adewale Akanbi Is The New OLUWO Of Iwoland / The Igbos From Benin / (photos) Naked People Still Exist In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.