Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,353 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? (6944 Views)

Poll: Is George Bush a good president?

Yes: 29% (7 votes)
No: 70% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Amnesty Intl Urges African Countries To Arrest George Bush When He Visits Africa / This Is George W. Bush / Some Memorable Quotes Of George Bush (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Iman3(m): 8:34pm On May 31, 2007
@TayoD

Bush has a lot of failings but what I resent is the popular impression that he is irredeemably incompetent and that his reign has been a cataclysmic failure.Far from that,there are many successes one can point to.

The unpopularity of the Iraq campaign has led to the ridiculous demonisation of Bush.This singular issue and his foreign policy in general has led to visceral hatred of the Bush adminstration as manifested in the amount of prejudiced information one comes across in the media and the internet.

Being a bit of a nerd myself,who bothers to study economic data,I know that the picture is mixed.Bush is not an irredemable failure and is not destroying America.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by TayoD(m): 8:54pm On May 31, 2007
@I-man,

@TayoD
Bush has a lot of failings but what I resent is the popular impression that he is irredeemably incompetent and that his reign has been a cataclysmic failure.Far from that,there are many successes one can point to.
The unpopularity of the Iraq campaign has led to the ridiculous demonisation of Bush.This singular issue and his foreign policy in general has led to visceral hatred of the Bush adminstration as manifested in the amount of prejudiced information one comes across in the media and the internet.
Being a bit of a nerd myself,who bothers to study economic data,I know that the picture is mixed.Bush is not an irredemable failure and is not destroying America.

You are so right with your submission. The reason why people like you and me have been labelled Bush-supporters is because we refuse to be guided by prejudice and ignorance. While I do have my reservations about some aspects of Bush's governance, I fail to see the need for all the venom that has been directed at his person. While reference to the Iraqi war is justified, no one in all good conscience can say Bush is the one responsible for the civil war between the Sunnis and the Shias.

Casualty figures are presented everyday with respect to the Iraq war, but no one has yet given the figures of the unborn children whose lives have been saved by Bush's stand on abortion and his appointments of Justices to the Supreme Court to further his agenda. All I see are selective presentation of incomplete data to back up a prejudiced position.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by MILITIA(f): 9:25pm On May 31, 2007
TAYO-D, That means your equity after junk fees/air fares and settling relatives will probably be $45,000 or less.  Do you think you can invest $45,000 in Nigeria  That is not enough pocket money for 6 months!!!!  Nigeria is a very expensive society to maintain your current lifestyle.  Please think of some mutual funds, retirement plan or college funds for the kids---- or stick to buying and selling cars for quick returns.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by MILITIA(f): 9:30pm On May 31, 2007
Please mama, the man has only less than 18 months more, why waste resources in getting him out. The chance to do that was squandered. I pity the next president right or left that is going to inherit the "Bush" man's mess. For once I think I will pass up my voting rights!
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Iman3(m): 9:34pm On May 31, 2007
MILITIA:

That means your equity after junk fees/air fares and settling relatives will probably be $45,000 or less.  Do you think you can invest $45,000 in Nigeria  That is not enough pocket money for 6 months!!!!  Nigeria is a very expensive society to maintain your current lifestyle.  Please think of some mutual funds, retirement plan or college funds for the kids---- or stick to buying and selling cars for quick returns.

Is $45,000 not the equivalent of around 5.8 million Naira?   You are asking him where he can invest 5.8million Naira in Nigeria ?
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by MILITIA(f): 9:52pm On May 31, 2007
Oh yeah! Cant even clear a container from China with that or buy a brand new car with it--- maybe semi-tokunbo car from Cotonou. So what can you invest in Can't build a decent house or decent plaza of shops. Maybe some Onitsha outfit shops without roofs, electricity or running water. So what are we investing in here Otokoto business. I guess!
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Iman3(m): 9:58pm On May 31, 2007
MILITIA:

Oh yeah!  Cant even clear a container from China with that or buy a brand new car with it--- maybe semi-tokunbo car from Cotonou.  So what can you invest in  Can't build a decent house or decent plaza of shops.  Maybe some Onitsha outfit shops without roofs, electricity or running water.  So what are we investing in here  Otokoto business. I guess!

At the risk of being accused of sounding condescending,I  think the quality of the debate has gone down a notch here.

Ok,you can't invest 5.8million Naira in Nigeria.I agree wholeheartedly!
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by MILITIA(f): 10:06pm On May 31, 2007
No problem brov! It is easy to sit and calculate millions in Niara without realizing that the Naira has little value compared to other currencies. We are not saying N45million but about N6million. Haba!!! It shows you have not visited Nigeria in the past 10 years. You will be shocked. I rest my case, no ill feelings. You have to work harder than that to make you money meaningful in Nigeria---sad but true!!!!!! Sorry to disappoint you.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by TayoD(m): 10:46pm On May 31, 2007
@militia,

TAYO-D, That means your equity after junk fees/air fares and settling relatives will probably be $45,000 or less. 

What do you mean by junk fees/air fares? My commitment to my family in Naija is not based on my home equity, so I know not what you are talking about. And by the way, how does all that relate to the topic at hand?

Do you think you can invest $45,000 in Nigeria  That is not enough pocket money for 6 months!!!!
This your exageration na wa. I have shares in Naija that is not up to that amount and it has yielded more than double my investment.  $45,000 is chicken cahnge? No wonder the public officials are corrupt.  I lived in Abuja about up till I left for the U.S. My salary was slighlty over N1,000,000 per annum and I was very comfortable.  I was back in Naija last year and though there has been inflation, it is not that bad.

Nigeria is a very expensive society to maintain your current lifestyle.
What lifestyle are you talking about?

Please think of some mutual funds, retirement plan or college funds for the kids----

Thanks for the advice.

or stick to buying and selling cars for quick returns.
Excuse me? You totally lost me here!
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Bankole01(m): 10:50pm On May 31, 2007
Support Bush if you want. As far as I am concerned, Bush is a boob and a bumbling moroon.
First, he could never have been pressident if the Supreme court appointed by his father had not given him an affirmative vote. He had a stolen mandate.
His foreign policy was non-existent. He maligned a lot of nations and the UN body itself.
He started an unnecessary war in Iraq, telling lies to support to support need for war.
His presidency is the most corrupt in American history, turning the war in Iraq to business, making a lot money for friends. His vice becoming a billioneer from the proceeds of war.
He mortgaged peoples lifes to big business, especially the oil companies. Gas prices in America rose unprecedented to the highest prices in ages.
Gas is now selling an average of $3.39/gal.
Bush's administration has been a disaster for Americans. He was democrat, the hateful Republicans would have impeached him!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by TayoD(m): 11:57pm On May 31, 2007
@Bankole01,

Support Bush if you want. As far as I am concerned, Bush is a boob and a bumbling moroon.
Another smear campaigner on the loose!

First, he could never have been pressident if the Supreme court appointed by his father had not given him an affirmative vote. He had a stolen mandate.
If for the sake of argument we assume that his first term was based on a questionable mandate, how about the second when he won fair and square?!

His foreign policy was non-existent. He maligned a lot of nations and the UN body itself.
Case in point??

He started an unnecessary war in Iraq, telling lies to support to support need for war.
If you call basing his action on faulty intelligence lies, then I guess he is a Liar in your own world!

His presidency is the most corrupt in American history, turning the war in Iraq to business, making a lot money for friends. His vice becoming a billioneer from the proceeds of war.
How did you come to that conclusion? What statistics did you consult to arrive at that conclusion? Cheney has always been a rich man with financial interests with Halliburton. Your focus on ill-gotten wealth would probably yield better results if you focus on the Clintons.

He mortgaged peoples lifes to big business, especially the oil companies. Gas prices in America rose unprecedented to the highest prices in ages.
And that is the fault of President Bush? Please try to understand what is going on and not malign others character throguh ignorance!

Gas is now selling an average of $3.39/girl.
How much is it selling for in Nigeria?

Bush's administration has been a disaster for Americans.
In your opinion!

He was democrat, the hateful Republicans would have impeached him!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't you present your case without labelling people? Now it is 'hateful republicans'. You really need to detoxicate yourself of that hatred! The only reason why no one is able to impeach Bush is because he plays by the law and has not violated the constitution! Even the Democrats know better than to embark on such a futile journey! You may not believe this but your aversion for Bush is no grounds for impeachment.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Tornadoz(m): 12:24am On Jun 01, 2007
Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For?

Yes he is, and these are some of the reasons

1)Attacked and took over two countries.

2)First president in U.S. history to enter office with a criminal record.

3)Appointed more convicted criminals to positions than any president in U.S. history.

4)Set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously take to the streets to protest against his policies (15 million people), shattering the record for protest against any person in the history of mankind.

5)Dissolved more international treaties than any American president

6)First president in U.S. history to have the United Nations remove the U.S. from the human rights commission.

7)First president in U.S. history to have the United Nations remove the U.S. from the elections monitoring board.

coolRendered the entire United Nations irrelevant.

9)Withdrew from the World Court of Law.

10)Refused to allow inspectors access to U.S. prisoners of war and by default no longer abide by the Geneva Conventions.

11)First president in U.S. history to unilaterally attack a sovereign nation against the will of the United Nations and the world community.

12)Took the biggest world sympathy for the U.S. after 9/11, and in less than a year made the U.S. the most resented country in the world (possibly the biggest diplomatic failure in U.S. and world history).

Let me know if you want more reasons.
The above list is not exhaustive.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Iman3(m): 12:25am On Jun 01, 2007
@Tornadoz

You just copied that from a leftist blog grincopy and paste
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Tornadoz(m): 12:38am On Jun 01, 2007
@I-man
Why don't you visit your regular source of newsfeed?
Has Messrs Limbaugh, Ann coulter and O'reilly run out of excuses?
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Iman3(m): 12:45am On Jun 01, 2007
Tornadoz:

@I-man
Why don't you visit your regular source of newsfeed?
Has Messrs Limbaugh, Ann coulter and O'reilly run out of excuses?
You should have acknowledged the source of your post.That is plagiarism.Even Afam acknowledges grin

Check this link out.Notice the similarities to Tornadoz's post  grin Its common in the leftist blogosphere
http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/03/04/23_resume.html

He didn't copy the whole thing,that's why he said this
Tornadoz:

Let me know if  you want more reasons.
The above list is not exhaustive.

Haba,my man.Plagiarism no good o tongue
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Iman3(m): 12:59am On Jun 01, 2007
If you think I was kidding about Bush Derangement Syndrome,check out this:http://www.bushisantichrist.com/

What do you make of the fact that 7.8 million new jobs have been created over 44 consecutive months of job creation.Or that the economy has averaged growth of 3.3%,inflation adjusted,since 2003.Does that amount to a destruction of America?

PS:I'm off to watch Bill O'Reilly grin
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Nobody: 1:38am On Jun 01, 2007
Tornadoz:

coolRendered the entire United Nations irrelevant.

shocked where you not the same one accusing Isreal of ignoring UN resolutions when you knew all along that it had be rendered irrelevant? shocked

What a shame.

Bankole01:

Gas is now selling an average of $3.39/girl.

Bush's administration has been a disaster for Americans. He was democrat, the hateful Republicans would have impeached him!!!!!!!!!!!!

If not for the names Bush, Iraq, America. . ." one would have thought you were talking about Nigeria.  grin
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by WesleyanA(f): 3:10am On Jun 01, 2007
bush isn't really any different from most other former presidents.

what US stands is, more often than not, what it goes against.
It's one of the reason the US is where it is today. you have to cheat to succeed sometimes i guess?
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Tornadoz(m): 3:44am On Jun 01, 2007
It's one of the reason the US is where it is today. you have to cheat to succeed sometimes i guess?
It should not bomb other countries when they cheat.
America should not have monopoly on cheating.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Bankole01(m): 4:13am On Jun 01, 2007
Corrections. If Bush were a Democrat, he would have been impeached. Bill Clinton didn't break laws nor lied to put the country at war, yet the Republicans (whom I classify as hateful) wanted to impeach him for the mere fact that they couldn't get him out as much as they tried.

"If you call basing his action on faulty intelligence lies, then I guess he is a Liar in your own world!"

Faulty intelligence or orchestrated lies calculated to decieve and wrongly push the nation into a devastating war.

Gas at $3.39/gal is gouging of the public. This only happened under the presidency and watch of Bush. This resulted in massive profit of billions for the oil companies. Even with the congress threatening to pass legislation to curb the excesses of the oil companies, Bush is said to promise a veto if such legislation is passed. If this is not corrupt and one sided, I don't know what is.

The environment under Bush has never faced a worse degradation, for a man who could not even pronounce nuclear, calling it 'nucular'

Under Bush, the military has been so devastated and thinned out that they could not marshal enough forces to be of any threat to Iran. Iran knows these only too well, that is why they are thumbing their noses at the US and the World with their nuclear program.

When Bush turned the military to the World police by sending them on cowboy missions and fighting on several fronts, he made the military weak.

Whether I-man plagiarised or not, the fact remains that he was able to list the inconsistencies of Bush.

Can anybody remember his whole cabinet walking out of a UN general meeting? That was so ridiculous and childish. Quite uncalled for from a US president. This is why his foreign policy has been a disaster. This prompted Colin Powell to quit his rudderless administration.

No American president has been more hated  by the World and his own people. He has an approval rating of a mere 26%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by dblock(m): 7:32am On Jun 01, 2007
@ Seun If you think George Bush is destroying what America stands for, then you don't know what America stands for!!

America is an economy fueled by Power and Resources. Ronald Reagen stood his ground in his time, and Bush is standings his today.

There is not a single American leader apart from Jimmy Carter, that has ruled Legitimately and Adequately. Ronald Reagan, one of America's greatest leaders, didn't respect Human rights. Milhous Nixon, America's 37th President isn't indifferent from George Bush. Nixon tampered with the Media and his crimes are generally known as The WaterGate Scandal. However America would be very much different today without him. (Reference [url]http://www.nixoncenter.org/publications/Program%20Briefs/vol5no27barone.htm )[/url].

Today America's Unemployment is at 4.8%, poor, but it could have being worse If Bush's Admin didn't subsidize many of America's most prominent Companies like GM, Ford, American Airlines to enable that they remain Players in the World Market.

George Bush is controversial, but that is how America runs, it is a secretive economy that protects itself. The Second Gulf War is more than a war, 9/11 was more than a terrorist Attack. America is now seeking to get Oil from Alternative sources, Nigeria has overtaken Saudi Arabia in Oil Exports to America. America has destabilized the Middle East so much, that nothing else can be exploited without notice.

George Bush is a Traditional American Leader, just ask any Republican. American Leaders will always induce Instability to suit their convenience. George bush is an Idiot, I mean 12% of America's Population live below the Poverty line, in 20 years Ghana will have better stats than that. However George Bush is simply doing what is wanted from him.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Iman3(m): 11:17am On Jun 01, 2007
Bankole01:

Corrections. If Bush were a Democrat, he would have been impeached. Bill Clinton didn't break laws nor lied to put the country at war, yet the Republicans (whom I classify as hateful) wanted to impeach him for the mere fact that they couldn't get him out as much as they tried.

Clinton lied under oath.That,in the US,is a felony. Bush "lied" by asserting that Iraq had WMDs?The Clinton Adminstration also said that Iraq had WMDs.The Clinton Adminstration listed Iraq as a "leading state sponsor of terror" and bombed it repeatdly.The Clinton Adminstration also approved a law calling for regime change in Iraq.Bill Clinton supported the Iraq war and even came down to Britain to give a speech in favor of it at the Labour party conference telling us if he were still President,he would do the same thing based on what he knew of Iraq while he was President.

How come in Bush's case  he is a liar,whereas Clinton who said the same thing is not? Summary:Bush says-Iraq has WMDs=Bush is a liar. Clinton says-Iraq has WMDs=Clinton didn't tell lies  .Work that one out for me,pals  undecided

Bankole01:

Gas at $3.39/girl is gouging of the public. This only happened under the presidency and watch of Bush. This resulted in massive profit of billions for the oil companies. Even with the congress threatening to pass legislation to curb the excesses of the oil companies, Bush is said to promise a veto if such legislation is passed. If this is not corrupt and one sided, I don't know what is.
How in God Almighty's name is Bush responsible for escalating gas prices? Gas prices are going up in every single nation on the face of the earth. Where on earth do u know of that prices are not going up?The reason prices are going up is simple:oil prices,like commodity prices in general, are going up rapidly due to the rapid growth of China and India which has pushed demand up by unprecedented levels.How Bush is responsible for that,beats my imagination. undecided

Guess what happens when oil prices go up:The oil coys make huge profit(from Exxon Mobil to Petronas of Malaysia down to Sonatrach of Algeria).That has nothing to do with Bush.Congress wanted to pass legislation for windfall taxes of oil coys.Now explain to me how increasing the cost of production for  a coy is supposed to make its prices come down.This is what ignorance breeds
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Seun(m): 11:23am On Jun 01, 2007
How come in Bush's case he is a liar,whereas Clinton who said the same thing is not?
Nobody Died When Clinton Lied but thousands died when Bush lied. Isn't human life is very precious?
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Iman3(m): 11:45am On Jun 01, 2007
Bankole01:

The environment under Bush has never faced a worse degradation, for a man who could not even pronounce nuclear, calling it 'nucular'
For someone calling Bush a liar,you just told a blatant lie.Here are the real facts as Henry Payne pointed out in a recent article: Lead air levels dropped 96% since 1980,sulfur dioxide dropped 63%,carbod monoxide concentrations reduced 74%In addition, fine particulate matter was reduced 40 percent. Soot, nitrogen oxide and organic compounds have all decreased as well. In fact, in all of last year, there was not a single code red ozone day. Not one.-[url]http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba/ba577/
[/url]

The lower the pollutants get,the higher the rhetorics from environ[b]mentalists[/b] who survive on raising alarm.

What about greenhouse emissions?That fell 1.3% even as the economy grew 3.3% last year.Significant since its the first time emissions have fallen in a non-reccession year since 1990-http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/23/AR2007052301510.html

Bankole01:

Under Bush, the military has been so devastated and thinned out that they could not marshal enough forces to be of any threat to Iran. Iran knows these only too well, that is why they are thumbing their noses at the US and the World with their nuclear program.

When Bush turned the military to the World police by sending them on cowboy missions and fighting on several fronts, he made the military weak.
Another blatant lie.The US military is much larger now than it was under Clinton.Between 1992 and 2000, the Clinton Administration cut national defense by more than half a million personnel and $50 billion in inflation-adjusted -[url]http://www.heritage.org/Research/MissileDefense/BG1394es.cfmdollars[/url]

By the time Clinton left office,the US army regular forces totalled 480,000.Bush has increased it to 514,000.How come Clinton who reduced half a million personnel is not to blame  whereas Bush,who increased the size of the military, is to blame for not having enough forces to wage war against Iran? Please explain that
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Iman3(m): 11:52am On Jun 01, 2007
Bankole01:

No American president has been more hated  by the World and his own people. He has an approval rating of a mere 26%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you bothered to read through this thread,you would have seen where I posted a link dealing with approval ratings-http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htmhttp://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/political_updates/president_bush_job_approval . Good luck in locating the 26% approval rating.Another blatant lie.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Iman3(m): 12:08pm On Jun 01, 2007
Seun:

Nobody Died When Clinton Lied but thousands died when Bush lied.  Isn't human life is very precious?

Nobody died indeed!Apart from the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi nobodies who died under sanctions regime which Clinton maintained(400,000 to 800,000 Iraqi children according to an estimate by the Seattle Post Intelligencer)-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_sanctions  

Let me ask this simple question .If the "lies" told by the Bush Adminstration about Iraq's WMDs are a scar on his tenure due to the tens of thousands of Iraqis who have died since the invasion,how come the loss of lives under the Clinton regime due to the sanctions maintained by the US,justified at the time on the basis of Iraq's WMDs(which we later knew after the invasion did not exist since 1995),does not impose blame on Clinton?

Clinton said Iraq had WMDs and  used it to justify sanctions(which claimed close to a 1 million Iraqi lives) and yet you have the audacity to tell me that nobody died    

Let me tell you one major difference between now and then.In the "good old days"(Clinton era) a lot of people died but they were only Iraqis.Now,"the bad days"(Bush era) Americans are dying too.That,Seun is the  key reason behind the present brouhaha over Iraq.

Once the Americans leave,very few will care or know how many people are dying in Iraq,since the world's media(mainly American) won't care as much.It will be just like the Clinton era when close to a million nobodies died in Iraq.Nobody died indeed!    

PS:Nobodydied.com should be changed to noamericandied.com.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by TayoD(m): 1:04pm On Jun 01, 2007
@I-man,

I doff my hat for you! Going by your submissions, it is obvious that George Bush's greatest undoing is not giving enough resources to people who can really polish his image much like other past presidents have done. His "enemies" are seemingly better at the propanganda game than he is. I guess he just believes in doing what he thinks is right regardless of public opinion - that can be both good and bad.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Tornadoz(m): 1:13pm On Jun 01, 2007
@I-man

Stop trying to spin historical facts

Bush invaded Iraq,
Clinton did not

Bush defied the UN when he and his allies invaded Iraq
Under Clinton's reign it was the UN that imposed sanction to checkmate Iraq's "weapons" program

Lest not forget the topic title : Is Bush Destroying What America Stands For? If you think he is not destroying what the US stands for, by all means give the reasons.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Tornadoz(m): 1:18pm On Jun 01, 2007
If any body died in Iraq during Clinton's era, blame the entire UN.
The one's dieing in Iraq now are as a direct result of America's buffoon leader who invaded a sovereign country.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by TayoD(m): 1:32pm On Jun 01, 2007
@Tornadoz,

If any body died in Iraq during Clinton's era, blame the entire UN.
The one's dieing in Iraq now are as a direct result of America's buffoon leader who invaded a sovereign country.

You just have to condescend to name-calling again, right? You are getting too predictable man. So it is okay when the UN takes an action that results in the death of a million people but it is unacceptable if another person with the same goals use some other means? Please tell me if you will support a situation where the U.S. gets into Sudan unilaterally to stop the genocide even if the UN as usual stand against such a move?

Lest not forget the topic title : Is Bush Destroying What America Stands For? If you think he is not destroying what the US stands for, by all means give the reasons.
How can you discuss what America stands for without reference to the actions of her past Presidents and their policies?
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Tornadoz(m): 1:42pm On Jun 01, 2007
@TayoD
So it is okay when the UN takes an action that results in the death of a million people but it is unacceptable if another person with the same goals use some other means?
The UN makes decisions on behalf of all nations, America takes decision according to its national interest.
Re: Is George Bush Destroying What America Stands For? by Iman3(m): 1:44pm On Jun 01, 2007
Tornadoz:

Bush invaded Iraq,
Clinton did not

In a post 9/11 world,Clinton would,as he himself said repeatedly, have invaded Iraq.Had Bush been President from 1992 to 2000,chances are he won't as he never at the time called for an invasion.

Let me put it this way:From 1992 to 2000,neither Clinton nor Bush called for an invasion of Iraq.After 9/11 both Clinton and Bush called for an invasion of Iraq.The difference between the 2, is not in policy,but in the fact that their roles had changed.

Tornadoz:

Bush defied the UN when he and his allies invaded Iraq
Under Clinton's reign it was the UN that imposed sanction to checkmate Iraq's "weapons" program

Sanctions were imposed on Iraq by the UN,at America's insistence, following Iraq's invasion of Kuwait .During the 90s,most countries in the UN wanted the sanctions removed but that was[b] impossible[/b] without US consent.The Clinton Adminstration refused insisting that ;Iraq had WMDs,had an active nuclear,chemical and biological program and was a "leading state sponsor of terror.  Only Britain supported the Clinton Adminstration's position.

The refusal to remove sanctions led to the death of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis.We now know that at the time,Iraq had no WMDs(since 1995).So the Clinton Adminstration's policy on its Iraq,justified then on the basis of Iraq's WMDs ,could be rightly said to be based on "lies" and just as costly(even more costly) in terms of lives lost.Don't sit there and pretend that Clinton had nothing to do with the sanctions.

Tornadoz:

Lest not forget the topic title : Is Bush  Destroying What America Stands For?  If you think he is not destroying what the US stands for, by all means give the  reasons.

You may be ignorant of the Middle East but I presume you are not blind.I have stated elaborately,more than any other on this thread, Bush's positive record as President.Please refer to my previous posts on this thread.Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Egypt Court Orders Youtube Blocked For A Month / Robert Mugabe Has Died After Being Rushed To Singapore / South African President Mbeki Formally Resigns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.