Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,782 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

How I Lost A $30,000 Scholarship - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How I Lost A $30,000 Scholarship (390 Views)

I Lost A Colleague To An Explosion At Work In Kogi (Graphic Photos) / Ever Lost A Job Doing The Right Thing? My Experience Doing One / Why I Lost My Job At An Airtel Shop Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How I Lost A $30,000 Scholarship by Mazulu: 4:56pm On Feb 01, 2020
Let me tell you a story - about a stupid mistake that changed the course of my life forever.

It was 2012. I had only started working two years earlier. As with most young people, I was enthusiastic, naïve, optimistic and still trying to figure out my way in life.

One thing I wanted more than anything else was a scholarship to further my studies abroad and boy did I apply for so many of those.

As heaven would have it, a man of influence recommended me for a fully-funded government scholarship worth $30,000. If you are conversant with major Nigerian scholarships, by now, you'd have known which one I am talking about.

A day before the interview, I joined a night bus headed to Port Harcourt from Abuja. By 7 am, I was in Port Harcourt. I changed into my suit, strapped on my backpack and began heading towards the interview venue.

I was beside the venue when this 'evil' rain began. I made a dash for the gate. By the time I got to the entrance, I was already drenched to my panties.

At the entrance, soldiers would not let me in. It took some explaining for them to eventually let me through.

I thought that was the end, the heavens had other plans.
By the time I got into the venue - which by the way is one of PHC's largest hotels - I was practically shivering from the cold. The hotel has a central air conditioning system and I, on the other hand, was very susceptible to cold.

By the time it was my turn to face a panel of about four or five doctors and professors to explain why the Federal Government should invest $30,000 in my education, the odds were already hugely stacked - but not in my favour.

I have seen interviews, but never in my life had I been fired with so much questions in such rapid succession from so many people at the same time nor had I walked into any interview wet.
I walked away from that interview with my tail between my legs; my head buried in utter shame. It was obvious - there would be no scholarship.

I had disappointed the one who recommended me!
There's something about me - I utterly hate it when people dare me. When folks dare me, I am inclined to go to untold lengths just to prove them wrong. I also hate it when people or circumstances make me feel stupid or clueless.

So the next year, I promised myself that since the selection process is fair, I'd prepare as much as I can; I'd ace the interview and if there's anyone that'd walk away with that $30,000 it would be me.

I prepared, spent so much time reading and researching. I went as far as selecting a research area and developing a mini semi-thesis on it which I printed and bound.

When the interview took place, I wowed the panelists. No, I floored them. So much so that midway, they told me that I'm good to go.

I went home and began buying stuff, ready to leave for the UK. I was sure I had secured the scholarship. I waited for their call.
But it never came.

I had practically waited for this opportunity all my life and when I got it, I messed it up.

Why am I telling you this story? To amass your pity? Far from it. Not to boast, but By God's grace, I can afford a master degree abroad today. I actually have a master's degree now.

This story is about your 2020 - about opportunities. About regular seemingly normal everyday choices, decisions, actions and inaction that will end up shaping how the future of your kids will look like.

Yes, rain beat me on the interview day - but that' not the day I lost that opportunity. It was when I began procrastinating about preparing for it. Neither the rain nor the cold was the reason I lost it nor was it my job that 'made me so busy' I couldn't prepare for it.

You could be genuinely busy - like really really busy - so busy you begin to hurt yourself and your future.
How you handle 2020 will affect not just you, but the life outlook of your own kids.

There are opportunities that come only once in a lifetime. Many of those opportunities don't announce their presence. They are sought. They are not loud. Those that seek them find them.
In three years, what would the regrets of your 2020 actions, inactions and decisions be?

I have started a newsletter where I share amazing life lessons, teach people skills that change their financial fortunes in months and share opportunities with them.

Would you like to be a part of this community of winners?

Subscribe here:
https://mailchi.mp/bfedfcc4f339/lifenewsletter

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Lost A $30,000 Scholarship by 125diCalcitriol: 7:44pm On Feb 01, 2020
I got one or two from this... Nice one

(1) (Reply)

Unilag Post Utme Form 2020 : How To Apply And Eligibility / Breaking: Olumide Akpata Wins NBA Presidential Election / Expand Global Visits Family Of Richard, The Deceased UI Student.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.