Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,590 members, 7,827,220 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? (919 Views)

A 17 Year 2 Old Partners Who Sing N Breakdance Need A Producer. / "The Sad Truth About Hip Hop" <chain letter> / Destiny's Child, the Hip-Hop Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by randa(m): 7:09pm On May 31, 2007
too old for hip hop?]
its funny why many of ma mates think i should outgrow hip hop especially rap, they are all tending to lean towards jazz, soft blues and some rock but i have stayed true to the game, i am just thirty and they want me to act like i am 60 or something, the other day one of my students in 300 level said she was suprised to come to my office and hear me playing jay z's "show me what u got", she now saw cd's of mode nine,six foot plus,akon et all and she was kinda suprised too. during my university days, i was a big time rapper and i still adore the rap game, so wats this beef about? when they come to my flat, they alwasy want to change the music to blues or jazz ,
i am even more responsible than most of them so their argument about profanity in the videos, though fair holds no water,
what is wrong with me down with rap eh?

u guys should help me preach to them, i love rap simple haba!

thats me in d idle of the pic and the other chaps are ma critics

Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:13pm On May 31, 2007
Even teens are sick of the crappy rap of nowadays.

Get a q-tip.
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by kaydee(m): 10:55pm On May 31, 2007
Honestly,Hip-Hop is dying but that doesn't mean u shud listen to a genre u don't like
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by IBDat(m): 12:20am On Jun 01, 2007
That is the ironic thing about this genre of music and some cultures especially Nigerians.
I too was in that position once, but non-the-less that was the music that i like and enjoy.
Although it could be argued that hip-hop is dead or dying, why bcoz of all the nonsense being distributed nowadayz and passing for hip-hop.
But just like Kaydee said u like what u like and hip-hop has long since been enjoyable and entertaining.
Given the right beat and flow i'm sure yo friends too will start bopping wink
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by gbadex1(m): 12:41am On Jun 01, 2007
@ thread starter and generally all:

True to the word, there's a lot of mediocre/crappy rap songs out there but then, there's more to Rap/Hiphop than that crap.

One error/misconception people especially non-Hiphop heads tend to have is generalising what they see on the mainstream as all about Hiphop. Either that, or classifying Gangsta rap as rap music and not a sub-genre.

There a lot of alternatives, (good music by the way) ,to what the mainstream puts out. Unfortunately, underground rap and other alternatives doesn't receive as much publicity and coverage as the mainstream does. I believe this is where the misconception usually arises. Seeing only one form of rap music and deeming it 'rap music'.

I believe if heads played other rap alternatives for non-Hiphop heads, there'd be much more appreciation grin

This is in no way condemning the mainstream entirely. There're good mainstream songs as well. . . . .just that the crap churned out on a daily basis far outweighs the good ones.
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by iice(f): 3:23pm On Jun 02, 2007
gbade grin True that! I love hip hop but am more into underground stuffs. Mainstream is nice once in a while but sometimes you gotta break out those underground stuffs, chill and absorb grin
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by Drusilla(f): 4:01pm On Jun 02, 2007
randa,

I must be like the senior citizen of hip hop. If your old at just 30 and listening to it!

@gbade,

What is funny to me, is this, the kids ain't listening to what the world listens to and is called "top 40". Kids always want to burn CD's on one of my computers and they download stuff I have never heard of, not even an inkling.

I think the underground is doing booming business among the kids.
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by gbadex1(m): 5:57pm On Jun 02, 2007
@ Dru and iice:

true story, i believe nowadays, people are looking for alternatives since the mainstream doesn't cut it anymore.

I've got like 2 friends who are non-HipHop heads. The 1st is an absolute rocker, the 2nd's more like the RnB/Soul kind of person. After listening to a few songs of Canibus and Papoose, they had a different perspective of Hip-Hop.
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by mrmayor(m): 6:18pm On Jun 02, 2007
I've never really been a hip-hop fan, I gave up on this art form when Gangster Rap took control.I love my Reggee,Jazz,Rock,Naija Music both oldies and new stuff,what I definitely can't stand is old men thats 30's something dressing hiphop,it makes me so mad I want to kill someone.I don't know the state of hiphop as I almost classify everything on MTVBASE as hiphop,I hope the Gangster Rap/Hiphop dies soonest
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by gbadex1(m): 6:45pm On Jun 02, 2007
@ threadstarter:

see what i mean?

@ that mayor~man:

perhaps you should try some underground rap music? Look out for artistes like Common, NaS, Papoose, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Canibus, Immortal Technique, Eminem (and i mean the pre-Encore eminem). . . .those are just a few straight off the top. . .get their songs and you'd see what i mean
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by mrmayor(m): 6:53pm On Jun 02, 2007
@gbade.x,

Bros thanks for the advice but apart from Emiinem,I have never heard of the rest.Don't get me wrong I still have my (Public Enemy,Made In America,LLCoolJ,RUN DMC cds
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by iice(f): 6:57pm On Jun 02, 2007
@gbade, you totally got the people i listen too (have almost all their songs) and to that i add Dead Prez (I adore them). Mos Def kiss kiss
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by gbadex1(m): 12:26am On Jun 03, 2007
@ iice:
yeah iicey, that rocker friend of mine absolutely loves Canibus. That'd probably be the rap artiste he likes. The rest he deemes "trash". . .lol

@mayor:

no problem bro, these rappers i mentioned are among the sickest in Hiphop -and i don't mean sick in the literal sense cheesy!. If you've got P2P, you can search for their songs and download them.

Oh, another group you should look out for- Dilated Peoples. . . . .truly sick crew, they are!
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by iice(f): 4:21am On Jun 04, 2007
Ahahahaha there was a time my bro was killing me with Canibus ooo. I even started spouting nigganometry anyhow tongue

the older albums of outkast are tight though.
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by PoDeep(m): 9:14am On Jun 04, 2007
Huh?
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by gbadex1(m): 1:54pm On Jun 04, 2007
Exactly Po Deep, what the flaming f does that have to do with this thread?
Re: 2 Old 4 Hip Hop>? by PoDeep(m): 3:34pm On Jun 04, 2007
Lol, seun don delete offtopic thread.

(1) (Reply)

Channel O And MTN Base Should Be Available Worldwide / Gospel Songs On Hiv/aids. / D'banj Featuring Kelly Rowland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.