Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,507 members, 7,836,955 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue (975 Views)

Yoruba Have No Lands For Cattle Colony - Obasanjo Replies Presidency / Cattle Colony: Cross River Has No Land For Ruga Settlement – PANDEF Tells FG / Afenifere To Tinubu: You Can Give Your House As Cattle Colony, Not Yorubaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by fergie001: 6:13pm On Feb 03, 2020
https://thenationonlineng.net/court-declares-ruga-cattle-colony-illegal-in-benue/
lalasticlala mynd44

A Federal High Court sitting in Makurdi, presided over by Justice Mobolaji Olajuwon, on Monday declared the federal government policy, plan or proclamation to establish RUGA Settlement and cattle colonies in Benue State as unwarranted, unlawful and unconstitutional.

Delivering judgement in the suit filed by Benue Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice Benue State, Barrister Michael Gusa against the Attorney General of the Federation, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and the Minister of Agriculture, Justice Olajuwon declared that any move by the federal government to compulsorily acquire land for RUGA Settlement or cattle colony in Benue State without the approval of the Benue State government is null and void.

The Judge granted an order nullifying every action or decisions taken to establish RUGA Settlement or cattle colonies for herdsmen in Benue State.

Justice Olajuwon further issued an order of perpetual injunction restraining the Attorney General, the Federal Ministry of Agriculture, The Minister of Agriculture, their agents, privies, servants or whosoever from making any attempt to hold, administer, use or allocate land in Benue State for RUGA Settlement, cattle colonies or any other purpose contrary to the 1999 constitution, the Land Use Act and the Open Grazing Prohibition and Ranches Establishment Law 2017.

The judge held that by section 1 of the Land Use Act of 1978, ownership of land in any state of the federation is vested on the governor of the state and only the governor has the right to grant statutory right of occupancy to any person.

Commissioner for Justice, Barrister Michael Gusa described the judgement as sound, as it complies with rules and norms of democracy.

He said when Governor Samuel Ortom assumed office innocent people were killed by herdsmen as the Governor saw the enactment of the Open Grazing Prohibition and Ranches Establishment Law as the solution to the killings and the global best practice in rearing cows.

He added that the policy of the federal government to establish RUGA settlement and cattle colonies came late, as the state already has the Open Grazing Prohibition and Ranches Establishment Law 2017.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by NigeriaIsDoomed: 6:15pm On Feb 03, 2020
Nice one!
No to islamization of Nigeria in disguise

2 Likes

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by Blue3k(m): 6:17pm On Feb 03, 2020
RUGA has been replaced with NLTP. It's a similar policy Benue is interested in.

One good thing about the programme is that it is not going to take lands away from Benue State and give to any foreigner. That is one thing our people were very concerned about. It is for the development of livestock by Benue people for the benefit of Benue State. We have been allowed to domesticate the NLTP according to our own needs and the livestock we have in the state. We are focusing on animals like pigs, sheep, goats and cattle. We rejected Ruga, cattle colonies and other unacceptable programmes, but we have accepted the NLTP.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/benue-willing-to-participate-in-livestock-transformation-plan-commissioner.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by budaatum: 6:50pm On Feb 03, 2020
Let me first say that I am in full support of cattle ranches, a view I have expressed here, but I commend the Benue State Government for the intelligent constitutional way that they have opposed this land grab!

Cattle roaming should be banned because it is unhealthy, to start with, and a ban would stem the flow of diseased cattle getting into our food chain, though, they do only prosper because of my personal inability to use turkey and chicken for my Owanbẹ instead of cow! If I had any sense, I would not be funding AK47 with my longthroat!!

Surely, if anyone wants to start a ranch, they should go and buy land instead of the Federal Government stealing State land for personal ventures!

So, well done Benue. You make me proud for patiently following through with this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyMV6QWaEik

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by Nobody: 6:52pm On Feb 03, 2020
Justice Mobolaji Olajuwon, may God bless you abundantly all the days of your life. Amen.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by NothingDoMe: 6:55pm On Feb 03, 2020
Blue3k:
RUGA has been replaced with NLTP. It's a similar policy Benue is interested in.

No land grabbing by the FG. Also the Benue people will participate in it and customize it to their taste. I don't know if it is true but I understand that the Fulani herdsmen would not want to see pigs being reared around them.

2 Likes

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by NothingDoMe: 6:56pm On Feb 03, 2020
FrLukas:
Justice Mobolaji Olajuwon, may God bless you abundantly all the days of your life. Amen.
Sound judgement quoting relevant sections of the constitution.

3 Likes

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by Nobody: 6:57pm On Feb 03, 2020
NothingDoMe:
Sound judgement quoting relevant sections of the constitution.

Absolutely.

2 Likes

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by Blue3k(m): 7:00pm On Feb 03, 2020
NothingDoMe:
No land grabbing by the FG. Also the Benue people will participate in it and customize it to their taste. I don't know if it is true but I understand that the Fulani herdsmen would not want to see pigs being reared around them.

Muslims dont like pigs because its haram.

1 Like

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by NothingDoMe: 7:01pm On Feb 03, 2020
Blue3k:

Muslims dont like pigs because its haram.
That's enough to discourage the herdsmen then. I am quite sure the people of Benue will Rear plenty of pigs. cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by ivolt: 7:06pm On Feb 03, 2020
Another heavy blow to bandits, invaders and land grabbers.
Ortom outsmarted the FG in their own game.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by Ojiofor: 7:14pm On Feb 03, 2020
RUGA is a disguised terrorist camps.
Say no.RUGA.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by leke12(m): 7:15pm On Feb 03, 2020
A case study of USA, reason why USA cant just be attacked or experience insurgency is not because of technology but basically everyone is armed or can be armed. Latinos will think twice before attacking the blacks and vise versa.

Another case study of countries like finland simply prevent arms infiltration into the community making them peaceful.

Is either you arm everyone or disarm everyone. If there is a drastic shift in the bal, one party feel like the oppressor and other the oppressed. Since Nigeria has a porous border and fulani herdsman her armed the best method is to arm everyone.

though there will be bad side (regulations will take care to reasonable extent)but the good side out weigh the bad. Arm everyone and the terrorist will think twice before making a move

2 Likes

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by gidgiddy: 7:16pm On Feb 03, 2020
ivolt:
Another heavy blow to bandits, invaders and land grabbers.
Ortom outsmarted the FG in their own game.

Unfortunately, the killer Heardsmen are no respecter of Nigerian laws

1 Like

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by GamalNasser: 7:20pm On Feb 03, 2020
Big blow to Terrorist, zombies and Buharist , huge blow ..Thank you Mobolaji Olajuwon

3 Likes

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by ivolt: 8:05pm On Feb 03, 2020
gidgiddy:

Killer herdsmen are not the respondents!
Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by Flyingngel(m): 8:24pm On Feb 03, 2020
The judge shld checl himself or herself if he/she is corruption free otherwise the federal government will "ONNEGHENISE" him or her.

1 Like

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by saaron(m): 8:33pm On Feb 03, 2020
Very good development. This is victory against Terrorism. ONE NIGERIA IS DEAD!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by okefrancis: 11:31pm On Feb 03, 2020
saaron:
Very good development.
This is victory against Terrorism.
ONE NIGERIA IS DEAD!
Why is it become a victory, explain it because I understand you
Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by okefrancis: 11:34pm On Feb 03, 2020
gidgiddy:

Guy I want you to know that all these bad occurrence are not always caused by herdsmen but people are doing bad in the name of herdsmen

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by Zeesugar(f): 11:34pm On Feb 03, 2020
"I hope this will be the end of it".
Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by okefrancis: 11:35pm On Feb 03, 2020
NigeriaIsDoomed:
Nice one!
No to islamization of Nigeria in disguise
So you have the believe that someone can islamize Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by Zeesugar(f): 11:36pm On Feb 03, 2020
saaron:
Very good development.
ONE NIGERIA IS DEAD!
Guy which Nigeria.?
Maybe your own part sha

1 Like

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by okefrancis: 11:49pm On Feb 03, 2020
saaron:
Very good development.
ONE NIGERIA IS DEAD!
I believe you don't really understand what you are saying so make I leave you una
Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by Arubajagz: 11:50pm On Feb 03, 2020
RUGA was always going to die a natural death in the face of the law.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by Arubajagz: 11:53pm On Feb 03, 2020
Just Google the statistics of gun violence in Chicago alone, before you start praising the mass shooting capital of the world, AKA USA.

Arm people so that they can start shooting each other out of anger in Traffic?

leke12:
A case study of USA, reason why USA cant just be attacked or experience insurgency is not because of technology but basically everyone is armed or can be armed. Latinos will think twice before attacking the blacks and vise versa.

Another case study of countries like finland simply prevent arms infiltration into the community making them peaceful.

Is either you arm everyone or disarm everyone. If there is a drastic shift in the bal, one party feel like the oppressor and other the oppressed. Since Nigeria has a porous border and fulani herdsman her armed the best method is to arm everyone.

though there will be bad side (regulations will take care to reasonable extent)but the good side out weigh the bad. Arm everyone and the terrorist will think twice before making a move

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by Racoon(m): 12:02am On Feb 04, 2020
Good development.This FG backhand tactics of grabbing people land for use of their alleged "foreign terrorists" must must be stopped by any means possible. Shame on Femi Adeshina & the satanic regime

1 Like

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by budaatum: 12:06am On Feb 04, 2020
NothingDoMe:
That's enough to discourage the herdsmen then. I am quite sure the people of Benue will Rear plenty of pigs. cheesy
See person using brain! You terrorise me with your cow, I terrorise you with my pork.

Bambashi, as we say, or shikena!

1 Like

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by budaatum: 12:09am On Feb 04, 2020
Arubajagz:
Just Google the statistics of gun violence in Chicago alone, before you start praising the mass shooting capital of the world, AKA USA.

Arm people so that they can start shooting each other out of anger in Traffic?

When I'm ranting against armed amotekun for my people, some will call themselves bastards!

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by Deputy1111(m): 12:10am On Feb 04, 2020
saaron:
Very good development.
ONE NIGERIA IS DEAD!
"One Nigeria " has never for once supported terrorism or allowed killing. We are encouraged to live together in peace, and harmony.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by budaatum: 12:12am On Feb 04, 2020
okefrancis:

So you have the believe that someone can islamize Nigeria
Funny, no? Someone will take their Bible from them and give them Quran and Sango and Ogun will not put ayilala on them?

Some people just must have empty brains or think empty brained people will Islamise them.
Re: Court declares RUGA, cattle colony illegal in Benue by budaatum: 12:14am On Feb 04, 2020
okefrancis:

Guy I want you to know that all these bad occurrence are not always caused by herdsmen but people are doing bad in the name of herdsmen
Marry me. Please!

https://www.nairaland.com/5666991/new-war-against-africas-christians#86346182

(1) (Reply)

Why Nnamdi Kanu Will Not Come Back To Nigeria For His Parent's Burial / Exclusive: Boko Haram Commanders Call For Ceasefire After Military Onslaught / #WeAreTired Trends On Twitter As Nigerians Complain Of The State Of The Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.