Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,744 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Why Learning How To Programme Takes Time - An Analogy - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Learning How To Programme Takes Time - An Analogy (1438 Views)

How To Programme A PBX / I Want To Learn How To Programme Mobile And Webbased Apps / Object Oriented Analogy Using Man & Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Learning How To Programme Takes Time - An Analogy by kambo(m): 1:27am On Dec 12, 2010
this is just an analogy.

lets say your working as a foreman somewhere. you need a hammer to pound some nails thru wood - u reach your hand and grab it.
just like that.
in learning programming its quite different.
your are the foreman and the hammer ,wrapped up in one.
the problem is, as a learner , you don't have a ready made hammer,
you have to CREATE THE hammer FIRST (thru learning)
before you think of pounding nails and making any software.
so why does it take long? hold on .
when you get a book on programming and try learning the syntax,
for a stark new comer, its all jargons to you.
at this stage, you have only rough steel , rough uncut steel.
that's what the hammer head is made off but you can't use the rough steel as it is.
as your learn the language,the syntax seems all so strange,
it seems unfamiliar,it seems hard.
at this stage , the rough steel is in the furnace in your mind,
undergoing melting. it will take time to melt steel down to liquid form. the process is on ,the fire is burning but it will take time.
A lot depends on you - how fast you learn etc but you will not reduce
steel to lava liquid overnight.

next, you understand the syntax, its not so scary anymore,
but you can't write much with it.
you programs are so simplistic.

at this stage the lava has become fully liquid.
but you still don't have a hammer head.
the liquid has to be cooled in a hammer head mould.
how do you cool it- by practising with all the floating concepts you've learned.
this is where practice is most important.
as you practice , your mind or the molten steel begins to take the
shape of the container - it is becoming a hammer head.
not that if you picked up impurities and bad habits they'll set with
the steel too and be hard to shake of later.

then,
after many months/years of practice.
you discover that suddenly its no more guess work beating the air,
fumbling.
you are now writing systems .
at this point the hammer head has set and solidified.
you're using it to pound on wood and drive solutions into problems.
some of your actions occur intuitively.

whichever way,its gonna take time to learn a complex skill like this.
Re: Why Learning How To Programme Takes Time - An Analogy by kodewrita(m): 3:22pm On Mar 15, 2012
So Kambo how do we get you to start posting articles again? Love some of your posts here.

All the best.
Re: Why Learning How To Programme Takes Time - An Analogy by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 18, 2012
Yes, that's true, but like a samurai's sword, you'll have to sharpen your skills or it dulls.

1 Like

Re: Why Learning How To Programme Takes Time - An Analogy by ArQueBusieR(m): 10:49pm On Mar 20, 2012
A timely reminder.Haven't touched programming in a week. Too busy with the beatmaking.
Re: Why Learning How To Programme Takes Time - An Analogy by SeunT2(m): 11:54pm On Mar 22, 2012
Hello, please i don't know how possible it will be learning programmin on my own without attending any tutorial class. I am always impressed whenever i download people's software on internet. i began to ask my self on how do they thought of creating an application that will serve a particular purpose, how do they go about it before it came to realistic and fit their want..... I always wish to do the same i then went online touch lighting on how easy it was to be a developer. With the result i got and the poster article, shows how difficult it is to be a developer. All i want now is for nigerian who are already into this stuff to please let me know if i will able to this. I will be greatful if you guys could recommend things needed such as software, any tutorial..or any other way to this..

(1) (Reply)

I Can't View Any Picture On Nairaland! / Best Js Framework Ever... / Create Your First Virus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.