Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,257 members, 7,953,966 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:58 AM

My Puppy Has A Very Nasty Habit - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / My Puppy Has A Very Nasty Habit (1105 Views)

My Puppy Has A Swollen Stomach / Please Help! My Lhasa Puppy Has Been Acting Lethargic And Is Not Eating / Please Help Sanchez My Puppy Is Dying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Puppy Has A Very Nasty Habit by Nobody: 10:35pm On Feb 03, 2020
I got a cute German Shepherd which I loved so much. She's supposed to be an indoor trained dog since I don't want her sleeping outside. She sleeps in our room and that was my girlfriends decision. She's 7 weeks old, and I must say she's a lucky dog.
The problem: she has a very nasty habit of eating her poop! I understand pooty training takes some time and considering her age, I'm very patient when she poos or pee where she shouldn't so I try to correct her by taking her immediately where she should do her business. But eating her poop! This is making me consider returning her to the breeder. Today we where all in the sitting room and she was alone in the room eating, my girlfriend decided to check on her and shouted, when I got to the room I saw the mess she made of her poop she didn't only eat it, she robbed it all over the place. I picked her up and placed her close to her poop, and she immediately went to taste it, I used a finger and struck it on her butt and she yelled! I took her again and placed her in close to the poop and she was so scared of going close to it not to mention attempting to eat it. I did this over and over again and she won't even go close.
I understand she's just 7 weeks old and probably learnt this nasty behaviour from her Mom, but the fact she knew I don't like this behaviour but repeatedly do it is making me consider returning her or getting a shock collar to punish her. Ave owned a cat, and my sister owns 2 cats they don't give such headaches.
Re: My Puppy Has A Very Nasty Habit by Apitch(m): 9:11am On Feb 04, 2020
That's why it has always been advised to pick up puppies from 8 weeks and above. She definitely didn't learn that from the mother but on the contrary, she didn't learn some do's and don't's.
Re: My Puppy Has A Very Nasty Habit by Nobody: 11:02am On Feb 04, 2020
It's known as coprophagia and your pup might be doing it from lack of attention or probably unsure of where to poop.
You should start by giving her attention and rewarding with treats whenever she doesn't eat her poop, take her for walks and spend time with her and most importantly take her to where you want her to do her business and reward her whenever she does it.
Re: My Puppy Has A Very Nasty Habit by Nobody: 4:26pm On Feb 04, 2020
Cavallari:
It's known as coprophagia and your pup might be doing it from lack of attention or probably unsure of where to poop.
You should start by giving her attention and rewarding with treats whenever she doesn't eat her poop, take her for walks and spend time with her and most importantly take her to where you want her to do her business and reward her whenever she does it.
Took her on a walk this morning, surprisingly she pooped and started barking at her poop lol, then I came in and laughed so hard. She probably remembers what that poop cost her yesterday.

3 Likes

Re: My Puppy Has A Very Nasty Habit by theecaus(m): 4:50pm On Feb 04, 2020
You did the right thing by letting her know what she did was a mess, all she need is just to learn What you like and what you don’t and sometimes strucking on the butt will be needed grin
grossintel:
I got a cute German Shepherd which I loved so much. She's supposed to be an indoor trained dog since I don't want her sleeping outside. She sleeps in our room and that was my girlfriends decision. She's 7 weeks old, and I must say she's a lucky dog.
The problem: she has a very nasty habit of eating her poop! I understand pooty training takes some time and considering her age, I'm very patient when she poos or pee where she shouldn't so I try to correct her by taking her immediately where she should do her business. But eating her poop! This is making me consider returning her to the breeder. Today we where all in the sitting room and she was alone in the room eating, my girlfriend decided to check on her and shouted, when I got to the room I saw the mess she made of her poop she didn't only eat it, she robbed it all over the place. I picked her up and placed her close to her poop, and she immediately went to taste it, I used a finger and struck it on her butt and she yelled! I took her again and placed her in close to the poop and she was so scared of going close to it not to mention attempting to eat it. I did this over and over again and she won't even go close.
I understand she's just 7 weeks old and probably learnt this nasty behaviour from her Mom, but the fact she knew I don't like this behaviour but repeatedly do it is making me consider returning her or getting a shock collar to punish her. Ave owned a cat, and my sister owns 2 cats they don't give such headaches.

2 Likes

Re: My Puppy Has A Very Nasty Habit by Abcruz(m): 11:36pm On Feb 06, 2020
grossintel:
Took her on a walk this morning, surprisingly she pooped and started barking at her poop lol, then I came in and laughed so hard. She probably remembers what that poop cost her yesterday.

Lolgrin

(1) (Reply)

Friendship Goal: How A Puppy And A Pigeon Became Best Friends. [photos] / Are You Considering Owning A Pet Shop Anywhere In Nigeria? Get In Here!! / Four Month Old Bull Mastiffs For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.