Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,125 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences (11445 Views)

A BMW Collector Decorates His Garage Wall With 2 Wrecked BMW M1 Sportcars / Help With Sludge... / Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences by EgunMogaji2: 2:05am On Feb 06, 2020
The picture in the original post is not my engine.
Re: Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences by Contumely: 5:29am On Feb 06, 2020
Mancala:
The oil mantra that works for me is "Change it hot and change it often"! 3k miles on todays oil blends may be a bit excessive but it certainly can't hurt (worst case, maybe your oil drain plug gets stripped sooner). 4.5 -5k mile intervals is possible even on dino oil and longer on synthetics. I say this with countless oil analyses on vehicles over my driving experience.... 30+ cars and counting. However, time is another factor you should consider. Even if you haven't done the targeted miles, you should change your oil at least once every 6 months because oil collects moisture when a vehicle is not driven to operating temps frequently. This is another cause of engine sludge. Like they say, drive it like you stole it once in a while (Italian tune up)

Oil can be used even for a year plus. Many studies support this.
This change change is just to put fear in people.
Re: Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences by EgunMogaji2: 6:18am On Feb 06, 2020
Tesla owners reading this right now cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences by Abbeyme: 8:33am On Feb 06, 2020
Mancala:

Yikes! This looks like a severe case of carbon build up commonly known as coking. Is this a diesel engine? It is basically oil that has oxidized at high temperatures and crustified to the state of coal. Does your engine frequently overheat? Common causes of this in a gasoline engine include poor timing, too much idling, improper air-fuel ratio, worn out or dirty air filters and excessive ring clearance. At 230k (miles or kilometers)…… i'd suspect ring clearance but start with the easier suspects.

Thanks for your review.

It is a petrol engine Toyota Corolla 2005. About overheat, it did that once or so but stopped after I changed the radiator.
I think you are spot on about the timing stuff... My Ramoni told me something about that sometime ago..

Meanwhile, I will scan the engine and share the codes later today pls.
Re: Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences by radautoworks: 12:36pm On Feb 06, 2020
Contumely:

grin
Re: Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences by 9icetoo(m): 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2020
Contumely:

Okay oo. Continue.

2 Likes

Re: Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences by EgunMogaji2: 3:11pm On Feb 06, 2020
Post Mortem pictures.

Cylinder #1 has both crank bearings spun together.

Oil pickup screen is 3/4 blocked with sludge, a mixture of silver from the bearings and baked oil.

Oil pan has significant residue of what I’ll call “grease” for lack of proper description.

Block will become the base of a center table in my man cave.

Cylinder heads will become door stops.

Piston and rods will become wall art in my man cave.

Crankshaft will become oversized conversation piece in the garage.

Egun “waste not, want not” Mogaji cool

1 Like

Re: Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences by Mancala: 4:59pm On Feb 06, 2020
Contumely:

The cheapest and best insurance for your car engine is to change its fluids, especially engine oil, at regular intervals. The cost of doing this is negligible vs fixing a damaged engine. Why would you even risk it? No engineer worth their salt will recommend an oil change interval based solely on time. First and foremost criteria is operating conditions. For regular operations, average mileage recommendation is between 3 and 5 thousand miles for dino oils and sometimes up to 15k miles for synthetics. In the recent past, BMW's and Audis had severe sludge problems after going the 10-15k mileage route. For severe operations like occurs in Nigeria, I would not recommend going above 5k without an oil analysis. Severe operating conditions include frequent idling, stop and go, short trips (as opposed to highway cruising), dusty conditions, above or below average temperatures, towing or heavy loads. I have done many Blackstone used oil analyses on vehicles I've owned going between 3k and 7.5k mile intervals. None has indicated any problems, but I am not be willing to go above 7.5k even with normal driving conditions.

1 Like

Re: Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences by Mancala: 5:06pm On Feb 06, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
Post Mortem pictures.

Cylinder #1 has both crank bearings spun together.

Oil pickup screen is 3/4 blocked with sludge, a mixture of silver from the bearings and baked oil.

Oil pan has significant residue of what I’ll call “grease” for lack of proper description.

Block will become the base of a center table in my man cave.

Cylinder heads will become door stops.

Is that a timing belt I see in the picture? Interference engine? Hopefully, they put in a brand new belt with the replacement engine.

Piston and rods will become wall art in my man cave.

Crankshaft will become oversized conversation piece in the garage.

Egun “waste not, want not” Mogaji cool

Re: Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences by EgunMogaji2: 8:14pm On Feb 06, 2020
[quote author=Mancala post=86431608][/quote]

Well I guess I can find a way to use the timing belt in the bedroom cheesy grin smiley

1 Like

Re: Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences by Mancala: 9:08pm On Feb 06, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Well I guess I can find a way to use the timing belt in the bedroom cheesy grin smiley

Chai, Oga abeg sofrey O! No do pass yourself make body no go pieces like your former engine grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Things That Could Go Wrong With Cars -2017 And Beyond / 10 Interesting Images In The History Of Automobiles / See The Difference Between Bose Amazing Suspension & A Normal Car Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.