Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,303 members, 7,822,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ (7100 Views)

John Ogu Proposed To Adaolisa On The Pitch (Photos) / John Ogu Proposes To Girlfriend On The Pitch (Photos) / David Oniya Collapses On The Pitch And Dies In Malaysia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by EFCC1(m): 9:17am On Dec 13, 2010
THE Nigerian Premier League was thrown into dark moment on Sunday with the death of Ocean Boys of Yenagoa left back defender, Emma Ogoli.

Ogoli, Tribunesports learnt slumped on the pitch of the Samson Siasia Stadium, Yenagoa after playing only for 39 minutes during the team's week six tie against visiting Niger Tornadoes of Minna which ended 2-1 in favour of the homers.

The stopper who joined Ocean Boys from sister club,Bayelsa United suddenly collapsed on the pitch and was rushed to a waiting ambulance at the stadium but died on the way to the hospital.

In his reaction, Head Media and Awards Committee of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL),Akin Akinbobola described the incident as pathetic, adding that the player's death was not only a loss to his immediate family and club, but to the the entire Nigerian football fraternity.
http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/sports/14680-another-nigerian-footballer-dies-on-the-pitch

may his soul rest in peace
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by Divain: 12:01pm On Dec 13, 2010
so sad.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by tunyus(m): 12:05pm On Dec 13, 2010
R I P, may God give his family the fortitude to bear the irreparable lost
This is very painful
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by Emmysteve(m): 12:06pm On Dec 13, 2010
What a sad story. May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by shadrach77: 12:07pm On Dec 13, 2010
so there is a stadium named after siasia? shocked
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by vorosmartm(m): 12:13pm On Dec 13, 2010
shadrach77:

so there is a stadium named after siasia? shocked
People can be so stupid at times, na stadium when dem name after person pain you. The fact someone has died in his prime is not your concern. Pls go cook your beaf somewhere else. angry
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by bisiaet: 12:19pm On Dec 13, 2010
This so painful and a sad news may he rest in peace, my condolense to his family.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by Nellyon(f): 12:19pm On Dec 13, 2010
vorosmartm:

People can be so silly at times, na stadium when dem name after person pain you. The fact someone has died in his prime is not your concern. Pls go cook your beaf somewhere else. angry
pot callin electric kettle black. what did you do to show how sad u are? the fact that he didnt pay lip service doesnt mean he aint sad.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by slap1(m): 12:43pm On Dec 13, 2010
vorosmartm:

People can be so silly at times, na stadium when dem name after person pain you. The fact someone has died in his prime is not your concern. Pls go cook your beaf somewhere else. angry
Nothing wrong with the question actually, though it should have ended with something like R.I.P. @Topic. Rest in peace.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by Reference(m): 12:53pm On Dec 13, 2010
I understand he was involved in a pitch incident a couple of matches prior. I suspect it may have had something to do with this. As I was speaking to a relation in the medical field today, a head injury (which may have been the case) may result in a bit more than a concussion and you know diagnosis for the under-privilege here is no better than the doctor asking how do you feel. For men and women in contact sports like football I think scans should be made mandatory for all cases of injury but then on hearing the cost (something like 50 to 80 thousand) I could understand where their priorities will be.

On Brilla FM this morning a colleague of his speaking about the poor fellow said he kept on complaining of his dire financial situation lately. I think the NPL and by extension NFF should take the health of footballers very seriously. They should make clubs undertake mandatory screenings of their players after injuries and perhaps twice over the course of the season. Every player should produce an authentic health card to the commissar before stepping onto the pitch.

Much has been made of insurance. It is good but I rather have prevention. Pity its rather late for Emma Ogoli. We wish his family, his colleagues and club the fortitude to bear this very, very sad loss.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by HamidO1(m): 1:00pm On Dec 13, 2010
Very Sad,  Hope the club and state government does something to help his family. The NPL can also do with lots of investments in the area medical staffs and facilities, its very important as the game is accident prone. We wish his family, his colleagues and club the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by FBS: 1:14pm On Dec 13, 2010
Rest in Peace Emma Ogoli.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 13, 2010
Awww . . . so sad!
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by Limaoscar: 1:22pm On Dec 13, 2010
My condolence to His family.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by reindeer: 1:39pm On Dec 13, 2010
This makes one angry.
Why would a football club not do regular health check for its players?
Why would the ambulance not have resuscitating equipment?
Another needless death.
Its as sad as it is annoying.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by agitator: 1:42pm On Dec 13, 2010
Very sad indeed, also heard two players (keeper and one other player can't remember the names) of the club are critically injured in an accident with two pedestrians dead instantly.

Just too sad
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by Ikwikwikwi(m): 2:04pm On Dec 13, 2010
so sorry
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by honeric01(m): 2:13pm On Dec 13, 2010
reindeer:

This makes one angry.
Why would a football club not do regular health check for its players?
Why would the ambulance not have resuscitating equipment?
Another needless death.
Its as sad as it is annoying.

And who told you there was no ambulance with resuscitating equipment? these things happen everywhere in the world, remember Mark Vivien Foe at the confederations cup?

Also the Espanyol player? jasque or something like that? remember others that slumped and died in well developed countries? were there no Resuscitating equipments in their ambulance too?

RIP Ogoli

Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by jenuel: 2:26pm On Dec 13, 2010
May his soul and those of the faithful departed rest in peace. His death should be another clarion call on our football administrators concentrate on the welfare of our footballers and pay less attention to corruption.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by Shinor(m): 2:27pm On Dec 13, 2010
May his soul rest in Peace.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by furacao(m): 2:40pm On Dec 13, 2010
We need to start taking sports medicine seriously.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by pkasso(m): 2:55pm On Dec 13, 2010
So sad,may God give his family the strength to bear the loss.R.I.P
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by bestsales1: 3:11pm On Dec 13, 2010
may his soul RIP and may God grant his friends & family the fortitude to bear it,
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by adexchamp(m): 3:57pm On Dec 13, 2010
oh wow, what a loss.May his gentle soul R.I.P
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by clogogo(m): 4:30pm On Dec 13, 2010
hard labouurRRRRRRRRR,, IN NIGERIA FOOTBALL
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by vorosmartm(m): 4:53pm On Dec 13, 2010
Nellyon:

pot callin electric kettle black. what did you do to show how sad u are? the fact that he didnt pay lip service doesnt mean he aint sad.
Think before you write
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by JUO(m): 5:06pm On Dec 13, 2010
sorry o
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by 2kurupt(m): 5:39pm On Dec 13, 2010
Sad 1 there. Quite unfortunate
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by UNLEASHED(m): 6:32pm On Dec 13, 2010
So sad
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by juman(m): 6:58pm On Dec 13, 2010
UNLEASHED:

So sad
My condolense to his family.

It is good that a stadium is named after siasia.
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by raycomray: 8:06pm On Dec 13, 2010
PRETTY BOY!
MAY THE GOOD LORD ACCEPT YOUR SOUL AMEN?
Re: Another Nigerian Footballer Dies On The Pitch ‎ by gbobe: 8:10pm On Dec 13, 2010
Very, very sad. May his soul rest in perfect peace

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Help You Grow And Hit Alabi Hard / Nigeria 1 Vs 99 India Match – The Fact Of The Football Match / AFCON 2021: Sierra Leone Vs Equatorial Guinea (0 - 1) On 20th January 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.