Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,704 members, 7,831,206 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Storm Ciara: In Pictures - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Storm Ciara: In Pictures (613 Views)

Russia - Ukraine War In Pictures, From The Frontlines (Photos) / Joe Biden's Inauguration In Pictures / Jubilation, Dejection Across America After Biden Declared Winner (In Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Storm Ciara: In Pictures by gcey2k(m): 6:12pm On Feb 09, 2020
Heavy rain and gusts of wind reaching more than 90mph have brought widespread flooding and travel disruption as Storm Ciara hits the UK.

Trees were toppled, buildings were damaged and some homes had to be evacuated as rivers burst their banks.

Thousands of people are without electricity and sporting events have been cancelled due to the weather.

Airlines have also cancelled hundreds of flights, while several rail firms have urged passengers not to travel.

Ferry passengers also face delays and cancellations, and drivers have been warned to take extra care.

Large parts of the UK are covered by an amber warning for very strong winds, with the Met Office advising that large waves in coastal areas and flying debris could cause injuries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51425482

Storm Ciara is bringing severe gales, heavy rain and major disruption on the transport network across the UK.

Picture 1 - Large areas of the UK are covered by an amber warning for very strong winds, which hit the south coast of England on Sunday morning.

Picture 2 - Parts of the promenade were closed in Newcastle, County Down in Northern Ireland as the storm moved in during the day.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51436720

Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by gcey2k(m): 6:12pm On Feb 09, 2020
3 - The storm also brought widespread flooding. The town of Appleby-in-Westmorland in Cumbria was submerged after the River Eden burst its banks.

4 - Residents in the area are now battling to protect their homes.

5 - Homes are also flooded in Mytholmroyd, West Yorkshire.

Mynd44

Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by gcey2k(m): 6:12pm On Feb 09, 2020
6 - One car in the area was completely submerged by the water.

7 - Water from the river Tweed submerged trees in the Scottish Borders near Peebles.

8 - This group of sheep became stranded as a result.

Lalasticlala

Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by gcey2k(m): 6:16pm On Feb 09, 2020
9 - Drivers have been warned to take extra care during the severe weather. Firefighters in Blackpool had to rescue a stranded driver whose car got stuck in floodwater.

10 - Fallen trees and other debris blocked roads during the storm.

11 - This tree in Newborough, near Peterborough, fell on power lines. Thousands of people are without electricity across the UK amid the severe weather conditions.

Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by gcey2k(m): 6:16pm On Feb 09, 2020
12 - More than 250 flood warnings have been issued around the UK - meaning that flooding is expected. Airports cancelled dozens of flights, while ferry passengers also face delays and cancellations.

13 - But despite the disruption, some in West Bay, Dorset, enjoyed leaning into the strong winds.

14 - Meanwhile, body boarders took advantage of the stormy waves at Broad Haven, Pembrokeshire, in Wales.

Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 09, 2020
It was horrible.
Have never experienced this before.

The children's jumping tampouline at my nebors house ended on another compound last night destroying their fence. Surprisingly internet, gas and electricity were not affected so far.

1 Like

Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by gcey2k(m): 6:23pm On Feb 09, 2020
sassysure:
It was horrible.
Have never experienced this before.

The children's jumping tampouline at my nebors house ended on another compound last night destroying their fence. Surprisingly internet, gas and electricity were not affected so far.

Wow that's serious. Are you up North?

Here in the Midlands it is not that bad so far, only very very windy. All utilities not affected too...
Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by gcey2k(m): 6:28pm On Feb 09, 2020
More...

Meanwhile, a 40 foot tree which had been growing in a West Bromwich back garden came crashing down in the storm.

Homeowner Theresa Withers said: “I was absolutely shocked when I opened the curtains, I knew it was windy but I had no idea it was that windy.

“The second thing I thought was 'that is going to cost me!'”

Storm Ciara sent huge waves crashing in Newhaven in dramatic scenes.

Firefighters in Blackpool had to rescue a driver in floodwater, while a van got stuck in Abbey Village in Lancashire.

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/1239935/storm-ciara-pictures-flooding-waves-uk-latest-met-office

Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 09, 2020
gcey2k:

Wow that's serious. Are you up North?

Here in the Midlands it is not that bad so far, only very very windy. All utilities not affected too...
Midland.

Haven't gone out so I don't know if there is any major damage around.
Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by gcey2k(m): 6:32pm On Feb 09, 2020
More...

A trampoline was blown onto train tracks in Chelsfield

One Twitter user shared a picture of a tree which had blown across a road in Wigan

Another photo showed a fallen tree blocking a road in Gloucester

Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by cassbeat(m): 6:53pm On Feb 09, 2020
Wow yesterday it was Australia today UK . What's really happening? Baba God should keep all this disasters from Nigeria o
Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by Nobody: 7:21pm On Feb 09, 2020
cassbeat:
Wow yesterday it was Australia today UK . What's really happening? Baba God should keep all this disasters from Nigeria o
Nigeria already has the worst disasters ever grin

Is what people do in Nigeria called living?
No good road, hospital, jobs, electricity, poverty capital.of the world, boko haram and his brothers created to siphon money and displace people, bad government , very wicked mindset, kidnapping, skull mining etc.
Only in one country.
Nigerians are surviving and managing, not living.

2 Likes

Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by gcey2k(m): 7:22pm On Feb 09, 2020
sassysure:

Midland.

Haven't gone out so I don't know if there is any major damage around.

I see. Moved around Coventry today, no visible damages so far.
Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by Electrification: 9:49pm On Feb 09, 2020
See gobe !!!!.. Our own natural disaster here are dumb politicians and their useless followers. Imagine how much only '4.30' eyed T.A orji is alledged to have stolen from only Abia State with his mentaly deranged son, what natural disaster is greater than such?

1 Like

Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by thundafire: 9:57pm On Feb 09, 2020
If it's happening here in Naija opposition will blame opposition,committee upon committee will be fomed

1 Like

Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by AbujaBlue: 12:49am On Feb 10, 2020
Those are quite some photos.

1 Like

Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by LtColOscarIbibo: 8:00am On Feb 10, 2020
sassysure:

No good road, hospital, jobs, electricity, poverty capital.of the world, boko haram and his brothers created to siphon money and displace people, bad government , very wicked mindset, kidnapping, skull mining etc.
Only in one country.

Kai... If person look this our matter seriously you go think say everybody don die or de live in depression. Last last we strong well well o
Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by cassbeat(m): 8:05pm On Feb 10, 2020
sassysure:

Only in one country.
Lol I agree o. But Nigeria's own is man made not natural...
Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by gcey2k(m): 8:43pm On Feb 11, 2020
cassbeat:
Lol I agree o. But Nigeria's own is man made not natural...

Imagine what would happen if we had these natural disasters in addition...

Everyday we see news of fire incidents caused by tankers. The same thing everyday yet we haven't considered how we can stop it. We just mourn and carry on with our lives.

I agree with your previous post that we are lucky... Lol
Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by cassbeat(m): 10:12pm On Feb 11, 2020
gcey2k:

Imagine what would happen if we had these natural disasters in addition...

Everyday we see news of fire incidents caused by tankers. The same thing everyday yet we haven't considered how we can stop it. We just mourn and carry on with our lives.

I agree with your previous post that we are lucky... Lol
Really lucky
Re: Storm Ciara: In Pictures by austine4real(m): 3:56pm On Feb 12, 2020
Which one is Ciara,

The only Ciara I know sings

Natural disasters everywhere may God sa keep us save

(1) (Reply)

Sex Workers In England Ask For Bailout As Coronavirus Hits Their Industry / US Election 2020: International Observers Declare Position As Trump Makes Claims / North Korea Unveils World's Most Powerful Submarine-launched Missile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.