Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,957 members, 7,835,184 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Okada Ban: Lagosians Stop Policemen From Seizing Man’s Power Bike - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Okada Ban: Lagosians Stop Policemen From Seizing Man’s Power Bike (876 Views)

SOLD! SOLD!! Honda CBR 600cc Power Bike! / ¶¶¶¶¶ SOLD: Toks 1999 Suzuki Power Bike with 600cc For N720k / Power Bike... Ninja Model Tokunbo Selling @ 490k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okada Ban: Lagosians Stop Policemen From Seizing Man’s Power Bike by Serendipity101: 3:08pm On Feb 11, 2020
A drama played out in Lagos as some policemen tried to seize a power bike being driven by a young man on his way to work, following the recent ban on commercial motorcycles and tricycles by the Lagos state government.

The man in question, Nmutaka Chikwendu, narrated his encounter with the security personnel on Facebook. According to him, he was riding his power bike to work in the morning when he was apprehended by four policemen for flouting the motorcycle ban.

Immediately, a crowd began to gather, questioning the officers if the power bike was a commercial motorcycle to warrant their action. A motorist who was driving by alighted from his vehicle, and showed the officers a broadcast apparently released by the police command in Lagos, detailing specifications of vehicles affected by the ban. But the officers refused to take a look at it, insisting that they were in line with their job. Not even a call put across to a phone number displayed in the broadcast could make the officers budge. They finally gave in when they saw that the crowd was not going to leave until they let the young man leave with his bike.

Read excerpts of his narrative below:

“A good Samaritan parked his car...showed them the broadcast sent by Lagos state police command. They refused to read it. He then called the numbers in the broadcast and the policemen refused to speak with their superiors. The man put his phone on speaker and we could all hear the police command asking if it was okada and the whole crowd roared "No!" Our street crew cops refused to budge. The Samaritan eventually called their DPO who asked them to release me... then they started looking for one Officer Ojo of Ifako police station who took my bike key and went away.

Crowd kept building... policemen became scared. Tried to disperse crowd. People refused to budge. I actually started getting worried and started asking people to leave. They said they wouldn't move until I was released. Eventually, the Ojo fellow sauntered out with my key and I started my bike... revved it a few times which drew cheers from the crowd... and continued heading to work.”

Score one for the people, wouldn't you say?!

Culled from https://naijauto.com/market-news/okada-ban-lagosians-stop-policemen-seizing-mans-power-bike-6052

1 Like

Re: Okada Ban: Lagosians Stop Policemen From Seizing Man’s Power Bike by masterflowx(m): 3:11pm On Feb 11, 2020
Out of 3 policemen no one has functioning brain...?

Even in Western world where they claimed zero tolerance of motorbike for commercial transport they can never ban this type of bike.

Sanwo Olu should call his boys to order biko
Re: Okada Ban: Lagosians Stop Policemen From Seizing Man’s Power Bike by UD101(m): 3:14pm On Feb 11, 2020
Ndi Alà, front page pls
Re: Okada Ban: Lagosians Stop Policemen From Seizing Man’s Power Bike by okomile(f): 3:20pm On Feb 11, 2020
Bunch of touts, illiterates!
Over sabi is their logo

Next time, the guy should simply break one of their legs and keep moving.

Shiooor
Re: Okada Ban: Lagosians Stop Policemen From Seizing Man’s Power Bike by ForkDragnet: 3:33pm On Feb 11, 2020
Criminals in police uniforms
Re: Okada Ban: Lagosians Stop Policemen From Seizing Man’s Power Bike by beeblack: 3:49pm On Feb 11, 2020
The day the Lagos State govrn stopped Keke and okada in Lagos was the day he stopped the source of income for Police.

Don't be surprised if Police arrest pure water hawkers that the road is not meant for Hawking.

Re: Okada Ban: Lagosians Stop Policemen From Seizing Man’s Power Bike by Haddock(m): 8:59pm On Feb 11, 2020
Police in Nigeria?

Thieving bunch!
Arm-twisting gang!
Low-self esteemed rabble!
Forceful takers and grabbers!
Murdering, conscienceless uniformed thugs!
Roadblock erectors and bribe takers!
Criminal collaborators!
Resisters and curtailers of progress!
Irresponsible band of poorly trained and disorderly men/women, selected from citizens of lawbreakers and rights abusers, armed and tasked with security and order.

Police is your friend indeed!
Re: Okada Ban: Lagosians Stop Policemen From Seizing Man’s Power Bike by duality(m): 9:28pm On Feb 11, 2020
Lalasticlala

This should be on the front pages. Let the voices of lagosians be heard.

The police are not doing any work. They probably want to steal the bike or make you pay money to get it.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Introduces New Number Plate For Vehicles / RX330 05 Model For Sale / Sold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.