Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,906 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Beware Of Buying Sim Cards - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Beware Of Buying Sim Cards (694 Views)

How Elon Musk Began His Journey Of Buying Twitter (throwback Photo) / T-mobile And Verizon SIM Cards For Sale / Please Beware Paylater Is A Big Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Beware Of Buying Sim Cards by Lawal2015(m): 9:51am On Feb 13, 2020
Recently I read in the news the story of a young man Anthony Okolie who got arrested for having in his possession the mobile number once used by Hanan the daughter of Nigeria's President. I paid little or no attention to it as it doesn't affect me directly. The man has sued DSS to court and he is demanding 500 Million as damages.

On Tuesday 4th of February I received a call one of my mobile number, a new Glo lines from a certain lady who introduced herself as Juliet, she requested to speak to the owner of the phone. After I identified myself as the owner of the phone and sim card, she said do I know a certain person whose name I can't remember, I said no, she said the person borrowed a certain amount of money from her and didn't repay and the person is nowhere to be found. I empathized with her and introduced myself and explained that I bought the sim card newly and also that I do not know the person or ever come across the person in my life. I gave her my full name to confirm on social media so that she can be rest assured I am neither the person nor his accomplice.

On 11th of February I got another call from the same number asking to speak with the owner of the phone, I gave the response I gave the last time she called. This time she was "quizzing" me. She later told me the case has been reported to NFIU and the person's BVN has been flagged. Also she told me the number in my possession is linked to the accused phone BVN. Immediately the Alarms in my brain set off. I also narrated the story of the case of Anthony to her and she said she was Aware and nothing of such will happen to me. I asked for the lady's full name, she refused to tell me. Immediately I started recollecting the things I was taught in my Diploma in Criminology days and I knew I had to take steps. I immediately I traced where the lady was and who she may be.

Similarly one of my neighbours has also been receiving calls from a lady in Akwa Ibom requesting to speak with a certain person, the line is also a new line.

The question that now comes to my mind is that Are network providers recycling numbers previously used by other subscribers? If yes why are they doing this? What happens if the line was previously used by a hardened criminal or a "Terrorist"? What happens if the new subscriber in possesion of such sim card is travelling to a foreign country and such mobile number was found in his/her possesion? How does he/she make such explanation on foreign soil?

I have discontinued the use of that particular line with immediate effect, but there is a need for everyone to be careful of unneccesary purchase of sim cards as the Network providers seem not to be conscious of the "Security" realities on ground and it's implication for people who are in possession of the sim cards. It is also important for everyone to ensure that get a receipt for sim cards purchased and proper registration and documentations.

There is also a need for NCC to look into the matter and ensure to put safety nets and laws in place before a lot of damage is done and serious litigation process that will could cause the industry billions of Naira.

Samson Lawal is a Public Speaker, Entrepreneur and Farmer.
07056754409, 08142857392
Samsonspeaks01@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Buying Sim Cards by arrianw: 11:32am On Feb 13, 2020
True talk
Re: Beware Of Buying Sim Cards by Nobody: 1:02pm On Feb 13, 2020
Ah no dey buy new Sim card again.
Make them keep their bonus.

(1) (Reply)

Get Unlimited Web Hosting For Your Domain Only For 25,000 Naira At Green Apple! / Nissan Altima For Sale Fast - 400k (asking Price) / How To Start A Profitable Soap Making Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.