Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student (6694 Views)

Is This My CGPA Useless As A Pharmacy Student? / OAU Pharmacy Loses Final Year Student / Adelakun Adenike, University Of Ibadan Best Graduating Pharmacy Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 15, 2020
iaamxavier:
This post is scaring the shit out of me considering the fact I just started school of pharmacy
Hey man, his reality is not your own reality.
Don't let anybody or any story scare anything in you.

Probably you have not heard of the sister department, Geology. Similar stories abounds there too.

Remembered when I was an undergraduate, as a year one student, reading in my departmental library, you will be filled with gory tales of demonic lecturers and how people do not graduate.

I finished very strong. Same for a couple of folks.
Geology is still Geology. Pharmacy is still Pharmacy.

By default these courses are different from your regular courses. They demand a blend of knowledge from other fields you might not be prepared for.

Go and make your own story. Study well and smart. Give it what it takes.

I knew what was up. Took up the challenge by God's help and I rode the storm.
I had the best time of my life there.

Forget the story, you are different from anybody.

4 Likes

Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Tastemoney(m): 1:07pm On Feb 15, 2020
Uyi168:
What level are you??

600L....I am supposed to be inducted this February. ..but I am having an extra year
Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Uyi168: 1:38pm On Feb 15, 2020
Tastemoney:

600L....I am supposed to be inducted this February. ..but I am having an extra year
Eya..
U na epa..
I'm in 500l,same school..
Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Tastemoney(m): 1:48pm On Feb 15, 2020
Uyi168:
Eya..
U na epa..
I'm in 500l,same school..
serious? ?

I should know you then
Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Uyi168: 1:54pm On Feb 15, 2020
Tastemoney:

serious? ?

I should know you then
Sure na...
Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Tastemoney(m): 2:02pm On Feb 15, 2020
Uyi168:
Sure na...

Dm your WhatsApp no. ...let's chat
Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Uyi168: 2:46pm On Feb 15, 2020
Tastemoney:

Dm your WhatsApp no. ...let's chat
Just pm u ..
Don't know if the system is still working though...
If it doesn't, I'll drop my What's app number..
Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by belovedaja(m): 4:18am On Feb 16, 2020
I have a similar experience in uniport but today, I am a pharmacist. It is very painful to go through this. I have forgiven the lecturer that mislead and moved on with my life. God will judge the cheaters .
But you must a Cramer to study pharmacy. That is the characteristics of the course. Pharmacy is interesting.

1 Like

Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by belovedaja(m): 4:26am On Feb 16, 2020
iaamxavier:
This post is scaring the shit out of me considering the fact I just started school of pharmacy
It should not scare you, rather let it spur you. I repeat pharmacy is interesting.
Be smart and know what is required for each course, test, seminar and exam.
Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 16, 2020
Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by iaamxavier(m): 10:04am On Apr 07, 2020
Nawa o
Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 04, 2020
iaamxavier:
Nawa o
If you can't cram. Stay away from pharmacy.
Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by PECng: 2:38pm On Oct 27, 2020
When you Have Changed Your Choice of Course in your UTME but the Old Course is Still Reflecting on Your OAU Post-UTME
It is very normal that between when UTME results are released and when admission offering is over, applicants will have the need to change their choices of institution or/and courses, it’s very normal. But I have to tell you that this is one of the very rampant but overlooked reasons why a lot of people lose their admission—especially when it has to do with OAU. Read me right please, changing your choices of course within OAU is not a problem at all, it only becomes a problem when you do the changing of course at a wrong time; and there are so many wrong times to change your course if you are aspiring to be offered an admission in OAU. READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE HERE>>> https://www.pecngr.com/2020/10/when-you-have-changed-your-choice-of.html

Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 28, 2020
It is quite unfortunate that students keep facing things similar to what the man in the Op's post experienced. I still don't know why it took me this long to add my comment to this thread. I graduated from the same faculty as the guy, and while I was a student at the faculty almost 20 years ago, things were pretty much the same. If not much more difficult for you as a student. One, we had not access to smart phones, computers, internet and the likes... But these days things are a lot much easier... and I have many times found myself envying my students (I now lecture in a faculty of pharmacy) because of the access to the internet they now have, even if many of them don't understand the power-of-information at their finger tips.

I will try to share my experience with respect to pharmacy education using my experience at the faculty both as a student and later as a lecturer.

1.) Student mismatch: There are students that have no real strength going through the rigor of pharmacy education. Some students find themselves studying pharmacy because someone else is forcing them to.
2.) The Pharmacy curriculum is hectic by design. It has nothing to do with lecturers being wicked. Most times students have to participate daily in practical sessions (usually in the evenings) as well as didactic teaching classes in the morning. As a student you write reports to be submitted for each practical and you may find yourself at the end of the day having no time to read up what was taught in class... Then, quite a number of our courses are sessional: you start the course at the beginning of first semester and write the exam at the end of second semester. It is easy to lose focus and procrastinating the reading of such courses to the end of the second session only to find that you have completely lost touch...
3.) The pharmacy curriculum is also aware of the hectic nature of the programme and has included certain means of granting relief. First, students are allowed to fail up to three courses (2 in part V) when they sit for an exam, and they can resit those three courses within few weeks of the release of the results and before the next session resumes. If a student fails more than three courses, he has to repeat the entire year. Most students end up passing the 1-3 courses they are resitting and go on to the next level with their colleagues. Failing any of the courses a student is resitting will require him to repeat the year. The same applies when a student is repeating the level: he will still have the grace of resitting up to 3 courses should he fail again... But if a student that is already repeating a level fails to measure up and he triggers a second repeat consequence on the same level, he is advised to withdraw from the programme. That having had at least four chances to pass the level, it is safe to conclude that he is not fit for the programme and the government resources being expended to train such students should be used for others... This is painful at the personal level but makes sense.
4.) Typically between 4 and 6 lecturers take a course. The issue of a lecturer not liking you or being responsible for your success or failure is highly unlikely.
5.) Students with shoddy and poor background in O-level subjects like mathematics, chemistry, physics and biology usually end up having a difficult time... I had once met a 200 L student that did not understand why carbon should be tetravalent... University education is not meant to provide undergraduate students with whatever is missing from the foundational education of secondary school.
6.) Some students are distracted with religious activities in particular, praying and conferencing at the expense of their academic assignment. As a student you should understand your strengths and weaknesses and then decide if you're strong enough to take on these extra-curricular exercises. There's nothing bad in being engaged with these exercises in themselves as long as you are able to cope.
7.) When students perform exceptionally well, no one remembers to give the credit to the faculty and to the university. But when students mess up academically, then we start issuing out unflattering names to the lecturers. Students are always responsible for their academic performance in a University system: this is the general rule, and of course there are exemptions. The highest number of students finishing with a distinction since the beginning of Pharmacy education in Nigeria at OAU was recorded earlier this year. Strangely, those who believed they must crucify the faculty for students' poor performance didn't think it necessary to attribute that success to the faculty.
8.) And once again, Pharmacy is not for everyone, just like Medicine, Law, Mechanical Engineering, and so on.
9.) There are hundreds and thousands of students who passed through the same faculty and never had a single resit... At no point in my sojourn as a Bachelor of Pharmacy student at the same faculty did I have a GP below 4.5 (out of a total 5.0) from my Part 1 to Part 5. And yes, I wasn't the only one, neither was I the best in my set. As much as we have students who perform woefully, we also have students who consistently perform brilliantly. And one can usually trace this to
a.) student's pre-OAU academic foundation,
b.) student's personal motivation to pharmacy training,
c.) student's maturity and discipline.

10.) Lastly, no one interested in studying pharmacy should allow the Op's post discourage him. Pharmacy is like any other field of interest, if you desire it enough and you are willing to pay the price to have it, no force from the kingdom of hell can stand in your way. You can quote me on that.

Cheers.
An OAU Pharmacy alumnus.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Adesun90: 3:19pm On Nov 19, 2020
bizme:
It is quite unfortunate that students keep facing things similar to what the man in the Op's post experienced. I still don't know why it took me this long to add my comment to this thread. I graduated from the same faculty as the guy, and while I was a student at the faculty almost 20 years ago, things were pretty much the same. If not much more difficult for you as a student. One, we had not access to smart phones, computers, internet and the likes... But these days things are a lot much easier... and I have many times found myself envying my students (I now lecture in a faculty of pharmacy) because of the access to the internet they now have, even if many of them don't understand the power-of-information at their finger tips.

I will try to share my experience with respect to pharmacy education using my experience at the faculty both as a student and later as a lecturer.

1.) Student mismatch: There are students that have no real strength going through the rigor of pharmacy education. Some students find themselves studying pharmacy because someone else is forcing them to.
2.) The Pharmacy curriculum is hectic by design. It has nothing to do with lecturers being wicked. Most times students have to participate daily in practical sessions (usually in the evenings) as well as didactic teaching classes in the morning. As a student you write reports to be submitted for each practical and you may find yourself at the end of the day having no time to read up what was taught in class... Then, quite a number of our courses are sessional: you start the course at the beginning of first semester and write the exam at the end of second semester. It is easy to lose focus and procrastinating the reading of such courses to the end of the second session only to find that you have completely lost touch...
3.) The pharmacy curriculum is also aware of the hectic nature of the programme and has included certain means of granting relief. First, students are allowed to fail up to three courses (2 in part V) when they sit for an exam, and they can resit those three courses within few weeks of the release of the results and before the next session resumes. If a student fails more than three courses, he has to repeat the entire year. Most students end up passing the 1-3 courses they are resitting and go on to the next level with their colleagues. Failing any of the courses a student is resitting will require him to repeat the year. The same applies when a student is repeating the level: he will still have the grace of resitting up to 3 courses should he fail again... But if a student that is already repeating a level fails to measure up and he triggers a second repeat consequence on the same level, he is advised to withdraw from the programme. That having had at least four chances to pass the level, it is safe to conclude that he is not fit for the programme and the government resources being expended to train such students should be used for others... This is painful at the personal level but makes sense.
4.) Typically between 4 and 6 lecturers take a course. The issue of a lecturer not liking you or being responsible for your success or failure is highly unlikely.
5.) Students with shoddy and poor background in O-level subjects like mathematics, chemistry, physics and biology usually end up having a difficult time... I had once met a 200 L student that did not understand why carbon should be tetravalent... University education is not meant to provide undergraduate students with whatever is missing from the foundational education of secondary school.
6.) Some students are distracted with religious activities in particular, praying and conferencing at the expense of their academic assignment. As a student you should understand your strengths and weaknesses and then decide if you're strong enough to take on these extra-curricular exercises. There's nothing bad in being engaged with these exercises in themselves as long as you are able to cope.
7.) When students perform exceptionally well, no one remembers to give the credit to the faculty and to the university. But when students mess up academically, then we start issuing out unflattering names to the lecturers. Students are always responsible for their academic performance in a University system: this is the general rule, and of course there are exemptions. The highest number of students finishing with a distinction since the beginning of Pharmacy education in Nigeria at OAU was recorded earlier this year. Strangely, those who believed they must crucify the faculty for students' poor performance didn't think it necessary to attribute that success to the faculty.
8.) And once again, Pharmacy is not for everyone, just like Medicine, Law, Mechanical Engineering, and so on.
9.) There are hundreds and thousands of students who passed through the same faculty and never had a single resit... At no point in my sojourn as a Bachelor of Pharmacy student at the same faculty did I have a GP below 4.5 (out of a total 5.0) from my Part 1 to Part 5. And yes, I wasn't the only one, neither was I the best in my set. As much as we have students who perform woefully, we also have students who consistently perform brilliantly. And one can usually trace this to
a.) student's pre-OAU academic foundation,
b.) student's personal motivation to pharmacy training,
c.) student's maturity and discipline.

10.) Lastly, no one interested in studying pharmacy should allow the Op's post discourage him. Pharmacy is like any other field of interest, if you desire it enough and you are willing to pay the price to have it, no force from the kingdom of hell can stand in your way. You can quote me on that.

Cheers.
An OAU Pharmacy alumnus.
I love this,God bless you more sir.
Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Nobody: 11:36am On Nov 20, 2020
Amen Sir and you too.
Adesun90:
I love this,God bless you more sir.

1 Like

Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 23, 2021
Damn!!! . This brings memories.
Re: The Touching Story Of An OAU Pharmacy Student by JimmySwaggart(m): 11:42am On Dec 07, 2021
...so painful....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Major Campus Confraternities (EIYE) / Olabisi Onabanjo University (oou) Post Utme/ume Date Has Not Change / Delta State University (screening Test).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.