Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,792 members, 7,817,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? (1631 Views)

Ohanaeze Sacks Eze Ndigbo Of FCT, Says Igbo Kingdom Can’t Be Established Outside / Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo / Chuogo Okoye Slumps And Dies (Eze Ndigbo Of Agege, Lagos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by OruExpress: 8:20pm On Feb 15, 2020
I've noticed the phrase 'Ozoemena' emerge in many intellectual circles among ndigbo. Almost always in reference to the Biafran war, and primarily online, though I've also seen conference with the same name. I have also noticed that 'Ozoemena' movement runs parallel to the 'Biafra' movement with the two seldom having advocates that support both. Which made me suspicious.

What do we mean when we say 'Ozoemena'?

Ogu ozoemena? Because the first one wasn't a choice.
Onwu ozoemena? Because the first one wasn't anticipated
Agu ozoemena? Because the first one worked, so why not?

If we are saying Ogu Ozoemena, it should be know that Ogu is the an agruement. Iluogu is a physical debate that happens when one party wants another party to bend it's will in favor of the aggressive party. This choice of debate method is most effective on people that don't want to fight because all wars are wars of attrition. It is two groups of people doing the most horrid possible things to each other until the other reaches a breaking point.

It is also using fear of that scenario to bend the will of another without lifting a finger against that person. The desire to avoid war is the same at the moment of surrender as it is at the moment of avoidance or appeasement before the fight starts. It is the mind body and soul of a people's leadership saying 'we don't want this horrible things, give those who will bring it what they want'. So when we say 'Ozoemena', we should know Ozo ne me, na ozo ne me mgbe madu achodi ya. The only truthful action an ozoemena movement can ever commit is preparation for ozo. A preparation that will make the aggression prefer another means of debate, or leave you in peace all together.

If we are saying Onwu ozoemena, know that there's nothing in the universe more reliable than the coming of onwu ozo. There is also little that a human being or a group of people void with more passion than onwu ozo. So if we are saying onwu ozoemena have we learned or started something that will prevent ownu from happening? Are we the only people in the world who's members will not witness onwu. If onwu is promised to every living man woman and child, is declaring onwu ozoemena a fruitful use of our time and minds? Is there something about us that makes conferences and social media posts about onwu ozoemena enough to avoid something no living thing has ever avoided?

Onwu will come. It will come scattered, it will come in waves. It will come because of cars, sickness, age, drinking the wrong water, fall, war, famine, oppression. It's terminal, it's in our blood, and it's permanent. It's also a part of the world. It's a part of humanity. It's something we bring upon each other and something that comes to us without a bringer. Onwu ozo ge me, and I don't see the objective purpose of declaring it won't.

If we are saying agu ozoemena, when the first one happened, who said it should come? Was it the mothers who watched their children die? Was it the children who felt life leave their younger siblings? Was it the leadership of the time? Ojukwu? Effiong? Did it happen do to a lack of declaration? The agu of the time was the product of a lack of protein in the era which children desperately need to survive. It was exacerbated because many confused it with general agu and goring their children with protein poor foods like cassava.

If agu came from a lack of nutrients, can an abundance of slogans remedy the issue? Mgbe agu ozo ga bia, na maka chineke, o ga bia, umuaka a-ga ta poster unu?

If Ozo is all of these things, does ozo include the men and women who willingly lived and died fighting for what they believed in? Is it neighbors sacrificing for each other to assure the weakest among them don't suffer? Is it standing up to an arm, bare handed, for their families and friends? For people they have never met? Does it include the industry and innovation that a people pushed to the wall brought forth? Does it include the people who had never seen an airplane, teaching themselves how to fly it, then renovating it to serve their purpose better? Is it college students watching a bombard take out their village, and building something so that when it returns they will sink that bombard to the ground and save thousands of other's from the fate they saw? Does it include the 20-30 year olds that made their own tanks? Medicines, guns, anti-aircraft, radar, sonar? Does Ozo include the actions of millions of people who, when Agu/Ogu/na Nwu merre, became the best the could possibly be and contributed everything they had to keep each other alive?

I'm not for 'ozo', and would never wish it on anyone. That being said, 'ozo' happens. Ozo happens because you don't want it to happen. Ozo is a person doing every thing you can't stomach to you so that you will bends. Ozo happens whether you say it won't happen or it will happen. Ozo is the rain, it's the rising of the sun, it's the tide, it's everything in the universe that's bigger than you and you will never be able to stop. So it's better to be ready for the rain, and the host a conference on how ozoemena. Ozo ge me, again, and again, and again.

2 Likes

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by chatinent: 8:27pm On Feb 15, 2020
It literally means 'another has occurred.'
Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 15, 2020
It probably mean another (calamity/problem) will not happen again, though am ikwerre, I think we understand Igbo a little bit
Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 15, 2020
NyenwePHC:
It probably mean another (calamity/problem) will not happen again

Simple and straight...Thank you.

Forget the long disjointed essay............Ndi ara

2 Likes

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Feb 15, 2020
chatinent:
It literally means 'another has occurred.'

Write it well.

Ozo-eme-na.

Use the right Akara Udaolu to Indicate it

2 Likes

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Gaddafiyusf(m): 8:37pm On Feb 15, 2020
You already know The meaning. Just wanted attention

1 Like

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Gaddafiyusf(m): 8:38pm On Feb 15, 2020
NyenwePHC:
It probably mean another (calamity/problem) will not happen again, though am ikwerre, I think we understand Igbo a little bit

Keep foolling yourself. We understand Igbo small. Ikwere is Igbo complete.

3 Likes

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Feb 15, 2020
NyenwePHC:

Wow...That's cool

Didn't know that Ikwerre understands Igbo. My first noticing that..

Ikwerre ethnic nationality.

1 Like

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Feb 15, 2020
Gaddafiyusf:

Keep foolling yourself. We understand Igbo small. Ikwere is Igbo complete.

Didn't you see what he wrote. He was suprised that he understands Igbo.

Why the Insult. He is from Ikwerre Ethnic nationality.

1 Like

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by OsuAmaka: 8:50pm On Feb 15, 2020
it was during the war when yamirees were eating themselves like barbeque.
-Osu amaka
Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Feb 15, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Write it well.

Ozo-eme-na.

Use the right Akara Udaolu to Indicate it
U assumed his interpretation is right.
He got the interpretation wrong.
That is not the meaning at all undecided

1 Like

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Feb 15, 2020
NyenwePHC:
This is the correct interpretation.

So detailed. 100/100 kiss

1 Like

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by OruExpress: 9:59pm On Feb 15, 2020
the presence of flies does not prevent the elders from enjoying palm wine.
Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Feb 15, 2020
sassysure:

U assumed his interpretation is right.
He got the interpretation wrong.
That is not the meaning at all undecided

Well just to make him feel alright.

The right interpretation was Simply the one given by nyenwephc..no addition no deduction.

The rest are just unnecessary essay

1 Like

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 15, 2020
OsuAmaka:

unity beggars.

-Osu amaka

Says the Almagiri cow birthed by Terrorist from the North.

1 Like

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Feb 15, 2020
OsuAmaka:

unity beggars.

-Osu amaka

Wait Bokoharam would still get hold of that w.ho.re you call mother

1 Like

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 15, 2020
Mcquine:

Says the Almagiri cow birthed by Terrorist from the North.

Please direct your reply to west and leave others who doesn't Insult you out of it.

The young man is a Yoruba boy
Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by Ojiofor: 10:22pm On Feb 15, 2020
Ozoemena means never again shall we go through genocide the second time.
Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by PapalsBull(m): 10:32pm On Feb 15, 2020
It means "may it never happen again".
I came to know this through Chinue Achebe's "Things Fall Apart".

2 Likes

Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by SolidGenius(m): 10:35pm On Feb 15, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Simple and straight...Thank you.

Forget the long disjointed essay............Ndi ara
That's Game theory dude

Good post OP
Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by xelly: 10:51pm On Feb 15, 2020
For someone who keeps making derogatory statements about the IPOB, I think you can't breath without IPOB. Your survival is most dependent on IPOB. MAKE SURE YOU MENTION IPOB today and everyday of your life.

That is the job I am offering to you from today Simpleleo.
Re: When Ndigbo Say 'ozoemena', What Does That Mean? by SlayerForever: 11:50pm On Feb 15, 2020
Philosophical post.

Very nice if you take the time to read through and understand.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Happy Valentines Day Quotes For Sharing / What Ethnicity Do Aniocha And Oshimili People Of Delta North Fall Into? / Which Tribe Or African Country Do I Look Like I Belong To?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.