Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? (393 Views)

Was Nairaland Down? / I Took A Visit To Nairaland-like Kenyan Top Blog,,,,they Hate Us(pics) / Why Is My Nairaland Like This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? by Nobody: 2:17am On Feb 16, 2020
So I stumbled upon some nairaland threads from the past(far back as 2005) and they were so beautiful beautiful cry

I think I should be able to give some kind of insight and spare you the trouble of searching through these lost treasures.

Firstly, people then were nicer, less fights and insults. Not that they did not disagree o, they did. But there were limits to the way they spoke. All these tribal bigotry didn't seem to exist then. In fact it seemed like the community was comprised of Nigerians abroad and Nigerians home at quite equal proportions.

It was a community
If you noticed in the previous paragraph, I said community because that's what they were, like a WhatsApp group. Everyone seemed to know one another. It must have been really interesting for seun then, because I feel he could say what he wanted at that time genuinely unlike now that I feel he has to rep NL and be PC.

People loved the country
They loved the country. Unlike now when everyone seems to want to have a piece of the country. They loved the country not because it was economically prospering then or that they were living the life but because of their experiences. Like the fact that they read Ali and simbi, raliat the sugar girl, the fact that they eat egusi, the music, jokes and discussions that are unique to Nigeria they were exposed to, and they shared all these experiences, only because they were Nigerians. That's why they loved the country

They seemed more intelligent.
Everyone seemed to contribute intellectualy, and the way they spoke showed they were exposed. And that is something of note because internet access wasn't so ubiquitous, and one has to go the extra mile of reading to actually get some information back then. This is shocking because one usually thinks the younger generation is smarter and the older one is oblivious of many things. That isn't the case.

Morality and conservatism
People were more responsible and less lewd in their expression. I had to state this because I really like that.

People weren't so different
I know it seemed that I had been establishing the differences across times but sometimes they behave just as we do. This boys vs girls thing, boys washing up to girls and all that, they also created multiple accounts. Even down to the way they spoke, sometimes I forget that I'm reading a thread as far back as 15 years ago. They use similar slangs and abbreviations, who could have thought ROTFL was a thing back then down to their sexual discussions( I opened the thread for research purposes ni o lipsrsealed), all that I thought was just in existence, they've been doing it since back then.

Time stamps
It was interesting to be able to tell so many things from those threads. In one thread, someone posted a parody of Rihanna's umbrella— Ebute Metta by banky and they were like "...this guy is good" "he seems like a cheap artist...." "Yah, I heard the song on the radio today" and it's funny in retrospect. Then it was common to find emails around, since that was the only way they could chat, send videos and all other documents. Then there was a particular thread talking about how Facebook is addictive, how she can talk to her friends from far away, connect with old friends and it really put things into perspective, of how things can be so on top and then become obsolete quickly. The time stamp was the most interesting thing about all these. The fact that we can come back 10yrs into the future and see how things have changed and the ideals we held and all other things from that time and these threads are still here, acting like a calendar, journal and time capsule kiss

In conclusion, it was a bitter sweet experience, because they seemed like very interesting people, I even sort of miss them without knowing them at all. And it's weird because yours truly was a CHILD when these people were doing their thing. And that's why I think we should keep on writing and creating these silly threads. So that people can have a glimpse and interact with a part of you even after many years have passed since you.

So if you've been on nairaland that long, what are the changes you noticed, the people you miss, and other things you'd like to share. If you haven't been here that long but witnessed times change or have something to reminisce about, please share.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? by CanadaOrBust: 2:31am On Feb 16, 2020
Good old days huh
Re: Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? by daveP(m): 2:57am On Feb 16, 2020
Twas lovely.

However, Nairaland's mathematical constant is humor and lateron, sacarsm.

Have a bad day? Just log on to Nairaland.

Its potentials, however has never fully unlocked.
Re: Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? by Bluntguy: 3:09am On Feb 16, 2020
If we must get back to the good old days, a lot of people will have to leave the forum. So many children and insults these days. Tribalism and bigotry everywhere. This is the result of having an ethnic government in the name of a federal government.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? by Bifrost: 3:19am On Feb 16, 2020
I enjoyed the good old days, when I accessed Nairaland from the cyber cafe on most evenings. cry
Re: Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? by Nobody: 5:09am On Feb 16, 2020
The good old days when 90% of members were sane, learned, versatile and vast. The forum is a comedy center now. Over 95% of members are insane and mentally unstable. 3% out of the remaining 5% are even drug addicts. So actually less that 2% are mentally stable.

The good old days when MOD's were drug free and had the integrity of the forum at heart. When resourceful and educating topics use to grace front page. Not like now that "Regina Daniels starts her monthly period" can grace front page

The days when the total count of members was close to actual, unlike now that everybody has a triplicate account.

Nairaland should go learn from Quora. That's a platform!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? by olaboy33(m): 10:41am On Feb 16, 2020
Overtime, I believe Nairaland has evolved from an educative forum into more of an entertainment forum.

I wouldn't blame seun, the world has changed and entertainment brings more money.

Nowadays People are more concerned with the new ride their celebrity bought over the dept status of the country and that is why you see posts like that on the front page.

Seun is simply giving majority of the people what they want.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? by Nobody: 11:35am On Feb 16, 2020
daveP:
Twas lovely.

However, Nairaland's mathematical constant is humor and lateron, sacarsm.

Have a bad day? Just log on to Nairaland.

Its potentials, however has never fully unlocked.
I agree. Does things seem constant. But some bad things have joined in. People carry out scams on the platform, tribal bigotry, less wholesomeness and all

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 16, 2020
olaboy33:
Overtime, I believe Nairaland has evolved from an educative forum into more of an entertainment forum.

I wouldn't blame seun, the world has changed and entertainment brings more money.

Nowadays People are more concerned with the new ride their celebrity bought over the dept status of the country and that is why you see posts like that on the front page.

Seun is simply giving majority of the people what they want.
Asides all those threads, I'm talking about threads that are peculiar to nairaland or things that go on that are like "this is a nairaland thing".
I remember a type were "ten types of ..." "Ten things ..." They were called the list thread and they were popular then with a guy named tosyne2much creating the bulk of such threads. Now the raining threads that are peculiar to nairaland are family matter topics. I remember some notable personalities like yuzedo and his Rita Dominic girlfriend and banana island. Any other things that are inherently nairaland that you remember?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? by FirstCounsel(m): 2:03pm On Feb 16, 2020
Good thread. I miss the Nairaland of old. I hardly ever comment these days because of some obviously badly brought up fellows here who do nothing but rain abuses rather than face issues intellectually. What a shame. I used to be one of those early Nairalanders under another name before this. I wonder where the likes of Siena (very brilliant guy on auto section), is right now? There's also Rokiatu, sexyleamon, beaf etc etc. Who recalls the hilarious invasion of the "garri crew" back in the days?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Nostalgia: What Was Nairaland Like In The Past? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Feb 16, 2020
FirstCounsel:
Good thread. I miss the Nairaland of old. I hardly ever comment these days because of some obviously badly brought up fellows here who do nothing but rain abuses rather than face issues intellectually. What a shame. I used to be one of those early Nairalanders under another name before this. I wonder where the likes of Siena (very brilliant guy on auto section), is right now? There's also Rokiatu, sexyleamon, beaf etc etc. Who recalls the hilarious invasion of the "garri crew" back in the days?
Yes, I've also been inactive for a while now. But after coming across yesterday's threads, I was pushed to open this thread. I remember rokiatu too. I remember the garri crew and the "who get pin mouth charger here" not to forget "I'm in London I don't understand what is going on here" crew

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

He Was In The Nigerian Army, But Ended Up In Kirikiri Maximum Prison / Money Is Not Everything, I Can Afford To Drink Garri And Groundnut - Lady / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.