Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,114 members, 7,953,415 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:48 PM

The Meaning Of Afonja - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Meaning Of Afonja (624 Views)

Do You Know The Meaning Of POLICE? / What Is The Meaning Of Sco Pa Tu Manaa? / APC UK Mocks Corpers Who Don't Know Meaning Of 'CCTV' & 'vertebrae' (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Meaning Of Afonja by Bakrabas: 3:43pm On Feb 16, 2020
I wonder why some people use the term Afonja to qualify Yoruba race most especially the people from other tribes.

Afonja was once a warrior somebody that can be called a minister of defence under under Oyo empire.

He was also a great icon among the Yoruba seven hereditary Council of elders called Oyo-meesi

Afonja helped the Oyo Empire to expand beyond its horizon.

Because of his loyalty and military might, Ilorin was given to Afonja to be controlled but the absolute power still lies within the Empire.

Tributes are expected from all the regions and Kingdoms under Oyo empire in which Ilorin was not left out.

Therefore, out of greediness of Afonja to completely eliminate the rulership of Oyo empire over Ilorin, Afonja went to consult Alimi a fulani warrior for help.

Afonja betrayed the Empire, and Alimi invaded Oyo empire in the 1800s.

As Afonja, promised the fulanis that if they could help him to secure Ilorin from Oyo, he will give them what they desire in return.

Surprisingly, the Fulani asked for Ilorin that Afonja was struggling for.

He (Afonja) met his waterloo when he made an attempt to uproot fulani from their desire to control Ilorin.

Afonja was the name of a warrior who once lived and was assasinated in kwara.i wonder why NAIRALANDERS call yoruba people that name.

MODERATOR pls help us educate non Yoruba.

Using Afonja to qualify Yoruba is like using Ojukwu to qualify Igbo and using Tafawa Balewa for Hausa.
Re: The Meaning Of Afonja by RiyadhGoddess(f): 4:26pm On Feb 16, 2020
Waoooh in other word, Afonja means Betrayal or Greed...
Experiential, Now I know that some people are Descendant of Afonja what I call evil pattern from genertion to generations.

Do You need a reliable Okrika supply? You need an account manager? Need a digital, TVC, Radio Ad script & Jingle for your business? Need a Cinematographer for your events or church? Then call the numbers below!
Read my signature.
Re: The Meaning Of Afonja by godofuck231: 4:39pm On Feb 16, 2020
simply meant a traitor
Re: The Meaning Of Afonja by Bakrabas: 5:47pm On Feb 16, 2020
He betrayed his ancestral his generation and sold Ilorin to Fulani
Re: The Meaning Of Afonja by Greatzeus(m): 6:29pm On Feb 16, 2020
RiyadhGoddess:
Waoooh in other word, Afonja means Betrayal or Greed...
Experiential, Now I know that some people are Descendant of Afonja what I call evil pattern from genertion to generations.

Do You need a reliable Okrika supply? You need an account manager? Need a digital, TVC, Radio Ad script & Jingle for your business? Need a Cinematographer for your events or church? Then call the numbers below!
Read my signature.
I know you commented just to add your adverts,just as you do on almost all posts on certain sections. But try to hide your tribal sentiment because you never know where your God sent customer might come from.

(1) (Reply)

Benefits Of Passing Citn Examination / Exxonmobil Nigeria Graduate Internship - Engineering And Geoscience 2021 / Private Secondary Schools Needed In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.