Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,789 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Reasons For The Success Of Indirect Rule In Northern Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reasons For The Success Of Indirect Rule In Northern Nigeria (3774 Views)

History Of Indirect Rule System In Nigeria / Video Of Out Of School Children In Northern Nigeria Stir Panic Online / Why Indirect Rule Was Adopted In Nigeria: 5 Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reasons For The Success Of Indirect Rule In Northern Nigeria by Bscholarly: 9:22pm On Feb 17, 2020
If you have been searching the internet to know why indirect rule was successful in the Northern Nigeria, i enjoin you to read this article till the end. Meanwhile, before I will go into the crux of this work, it is apt to know indirect rule is. Below is the definition of indirect rule.

What is indirect rule?

Indirect rule is a system of government introduced by the colonial Masters in most African and Asian countries, where the pre-existing rulers of the people were used to control the masses. According to Wikipedia, it is a system used by the British and French to control parts of their colonial empires, particularly in Africa and Asia, through their existing indigenous power structures.

The colonial masters chose indirect rule basically because of the diversity in culture and beliefs of the people in Africa. Coupled with that, indirect rule seemed to be the cheapest way through which the colonial master could accomplish their purpose in Africa and Asia. Below are some of the reasons why indirect succeeded in Northern Nigeria.

Why indirect rule succeeded in northern Nigeria

Below are some of the reasons why indirect rule succeeded in the North:

1. Centralized nature of the North

2. Lack of educated elites to oppose the system

3. Pre-existing tax system in the North

4. Preservation of the culture and religion of the people

5. Pre-existing judicial system in the north

Yeah! There you have some of the reasons why indirect rule totally succeeded in Northern Nigeria. Meanwhile, if you need a detailed explanation of any of the reasons I have already mentioned above, keep reading this article as I will explain everything in depth.

Continue reading below: https://bscholarly.com/why-indirect-rule-succeeded-in-northern-nigeria/

(1) (Reply)

Unilorin Admission List For 2009/2010 Session / Electrical Engineering Course Outline / Your Reaction To Your First 'A' And "F' On Campus(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.