Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,009 members, 7,863,666 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 10:53 PM

Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal (751 Views)

Broke FG, State Governments Scavenge For Survival / Osinbajo Reveals How State Governments Can Tax Nigerians, Generate More Revenues / How State Governments ‘Pocketed’ N15.5 Trillion LG Allocation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by Calculating: 3:59pm On Feb 18, 2020
Babachir Lawal, a former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), has called for the scrapping of state governments in the country.

Mr Lawal, while addressing newsmen in Abuja on Tuesday, described heads of state governments as parasites who are wasting the nation’s resources.

The former SGF who was speaking on what he expects to change as the National Assembly begins the amendment of the constitution, said if he should have his way, he will only allow two tiers of government -Federal and Local – in the country.

He said there is need to allow the Federal government because some state institutions needs a national outlook while the local government should exist because it is closer to the people.

“I’m not a constitutional expert but i know if I had my way in the setup of this country, the governors in the middle are just parasites that are taking the major share of the resources that are supposed to the go to states, they abuse it,” Lawal said.

“If I had my way, there would be federal government and local governments, such that the resources that are due to the state would be shared equally with the local government at that level and a lot of things will be done.

“In the case of the federal government, we understand why it has to be federal government. There are some institutions that have to be national in itself. The army for example, the federal police must be there, foreign affairs must be there but the states, we can devolve the powers back of the states to the local governments.

“At the local government, they are closer to the people, because they are closer to the people, people are able to monitor them. People are able to get in touch with them, people are able to check their excess if any,” he added.

Lawal also canvassed for the return to the unicameral legislature.

“Another option will be to return back to the parliamentary system, where everybody in the parliament is an elected official that is accounted to the people, one who would be president would have been one the election,” he said.

“The presidential system is so expensive and the presidential system has concentrated power and authority on one person and whoever else he chooses to delegate that authority to.

“In a place like Nigeria where we have different aspirations and different belief systems and different world views, decision making needs to be decentralised,” the former SGF added.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/todaypoliticsng.com/why-state-governments-should-be-scrapped-babachir-lawal/%3famp

1 Like

Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by Calculating: 4:00pm On Feb 18, 2020
This guy has a very valid point.
Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by Calculating: 4:00pm On Feb 18, 2020
lalasticlala no be so?
Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by sarrki(m): 4:00pm On Feb 18, 2020
Where is the grass money Mr , pastor babacir Lawal?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by opportunes: 4:01pm On Feb 18, 2020
cheesy
Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by SanusiGworo: 4:01pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

To God be the glory.

1 Like

Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by sarrki(m): 4:02pm On Feb 18, 2020
Calculating:
This guy has a very valid point.

Yes even Presidency and both houses of reps and senate should be sacked

2 Likes

Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by opportunes: 4:02pm On Feb 18, 2020
The money don finished! cry
sarrki:
Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by chatinent: 4:06pm On Feb 18, 2020
What really should be scrapped are:
- house of rep.
- huge allowance to lawmakers (what they earn should be what everyone earns)
- federalism (confederation is better)
- ministerial positions
- unnecessary sub-joints of armed forces
- and corruption.
Well, all these can't be scrapped.
Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by valentineuwakwe(m): 4:19pm On Feb 18, 2020
stupid statement, why not say we should scrap the whole of Nigeria and go our seperate ways?
Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by sapientia(m): 4:20pm On Feb 18, 2020
Nonsense and ingredients.

Restructuring is the only way.

Thieves.

You want the Presidency so that the looting will continue.

Why?
Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by DonFreshmoney(m): 4:21pm On Feb 18, 2020
In a same country, this guy would be in prison, or in harsh countries like China.. hanged to death.. but in Naija he is celebrated and even have the guts to show himself to the media
Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by Comedian2019: 5:34pm On Feb 18, 2020
I thought this suspect was in prison.
Now I see, criminals hate to see other thieves steal.
Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by Indispensable85(m): 5:43pm On Feb 18, 2020
Foolish grasscutter!
Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by Afospecialk: 5:43pm On Feb 18, 2020
I am in full support bcs it will enable speed executions of projects as local gvt is more closer to the people and each ministries should have their Secretariat at each state levels that facilitate executions of project as well

Welcome development but unfortunately the state govt would strive to militate against the enactment of the law
Re: Why State Governments Should Be Scrapped – Babachir Lawal by Racoon(m): 5:56pm On Feb 18, 2020
Humn! Only in Nigeria that a well confirmed higher order criminal will be advocating for a scrapping of the lower criminal cadre.

(1) (Reply)

NEWS COVID-19: Nnamdi Kanu Attacks Buhari / Don’t Come To Abba Kyari‘s Burial Ceremony – Presidency Warns Nigerians / Oil Plunges Below Zero For The First Time In History, hit -$35/barrel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.