Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,531 members, 7,816,297 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Why I Stopped Asking About How Good A City Or Country Is. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why I Stopped Asking About How Good A City Or Country Is. (703 Views)

A City Inside A City In Abuja, Nigeria / Owerri. The Magnificence Of A City In the East. / ₦467.4Billion, A City On The Ocean, World's Largest Cruise Ship(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Stopped Asking About How Good A City Or Country Is. by Finelinks: 12:20am On Feb 20, 2020
It's unrealistic, in my book, to be asking people about how good a city, state or country is.

The primary reason for this is that realities are never the same for two persons.

Many have gone to Lagos from the other parts of the country, yet made no headway, even after 10 years. Many went to same Lagos and made substantial progress within a few years.

There are just too many factors and imponderables that influence how things pan out for each person.

I had a lecturer who had 4 masters from 3 continents and added a PhD to it. Lived with the wife in the USA for a few years yet came back to lecture in Nigeria.

It's same abroad that people are praying to get to.

I also noticed that 2 people can arrive abroad the same day and share same flat yet turn out monumentally different in a few years, owing to luck, destiny, serendipity, hard work etc.

Some will stay in the USA for 30 years and come back with nylon bags.
Some go and build mansions here just in a few years.

As an aside: Most people when asked about a city simply say, "fine, we thank God". The truth is that they may not really know much about the intricacies of making it in that city.

People make it almost everywhere. People don't make it almost everywhere too.

Life generally is difficult -- Scott Peck in his book, "The Road Less Travelled"

Take risks and bear the consequences, whether good or bad.

It's well.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Asking About How Good A City Or Country Is. by etrange: 3:33am On Feb 20, 2020
I get your point, bro.

But you sound like you're trying to convince yourself of something you're about to do.

Just saying...
Re: Why I Stopped Asking About How Good A City Or Country Is. by chatinent: 6:02am On Feb 20, 2020
I see you are building confidence.
Re: Why I Stopped Asking About How Good A City Or Country Is. by nickvanilla(m): 9:25am On Feb 20, 2020
This is soo true. Many people ask questions that there are really no answers to. The only thing that differentiates success from failure in any clime is GRACE!

Sometimes, you wonder why top celebrities like wizkid, davido, cr7, Lionel messi attribute their success to God. The reason is; deep down, they know they are not the most talented or the most gifted. It's only through divine providence that they came into the limelight.

It's not about the work one puts in either. We all need that big break.

Some people came to Lagos with one nylon bag. Today they are driving nice cars and living in the best houses. Some others have been tenants in one room for the past 29 years!

Some studied 'great courses', today they have nothing to show for it. Whilst some started hustling with only first school leaving certificate and today they employ Masters degree holders. Just Google the owner of Ibalex Nigeria.

There's no answer to how or where one can be successful. Even God said, "I will make rivers in the desert". We cannot question Him but pray mercy and grace inures to our favour.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Asking About How Good A City Or Country Is. by themaestro08(m): 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2020
Though I somewhat agree with your assertions Still its never a bad idea to make inquiries on the to-be country/city one is moving to.

You are likely to make it big in high-income countries. And generally these countries have very good infrastructures in place. Its a sign of good governance and an indicator for prosperity.
Re: Why I Stopped Asking About How Good A City Or Country Is. by Finelinks: 12:47pm On Feb 20, 2020
themaestro08:
Though I somewhat agree with your assertions Still its never a bad idea to make inquiries on the to-be country/city one is moving to.

You are likely to make it big in high-income countries. And generally these countries have very good infrastructures in place. Its a sign of good governance and an indicator for prosperity.

Yes, I agree.

Generally an average Nigerian will fare better in the USA, Canada than in Asian countries.
Re: Why I Stopped Asking About How Good A City Or Country Is. by themaestro08(m): 1:25pm On Feb 20, 2020
Finelinks:

Yes, I agree.

Generally an average Nigerian will fare better in the USA, Canada than in Asian countries.

We are on the same page.

(1) (Reply)

Jupiter And Saturn Comes Close To The Moon And Easily Visible With Naked Eyes / What's Inside Multi Million Luxury Lagos Beach House Mansions? (video) / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.