Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award (44182 Views)

Which Of This Ex-super Eagles Players Deserved A CAF Footballer Of The Yr Award / 3 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Lost Important Goals When Super Eagles Needed It / 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by jimmyLd101: 7:49am On Feb 20, 2020
SangoOlukosoOba:
CR7 not on the list
were re oooo
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by MrBONE2(m): 8:05am On Feb 20, 2020
promzy555:
What of my oga J.J with the ball

Isa Hayatu denied him the award several times and give to Samuel Etoh and Patrick Mboma who are his country Beings grin

Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by franchasng: 8:26am On Feb 20, 2020
englishmart:

Victor Ikpeba and Bet9ja have been ruining more lives than they have bettered lives

Okocha should have been in the list if he played for a reasonable club and took goalscoring seriously. Okocha that will dribble everybody including himself and still choose not to score
He was more interested in entertaining spectators with his dribbling skills than scoring, not knowing that nobody celebrates anybody in life without goals grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Ajibade123(m): 8:38am On Feb 20, 2020
it was a pity Mikel and Enyama couldn't win it that year
see ways to identify top talent in an organization https://explicitsuccess.com/how-to-identify-top-talent-in-your-organization/
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Manageme: 8:46am On Feb 20, 2020
Wonderful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Technology14: 8:47am On Feb 20, 2020
Ok
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Boo3nity(m): 8:49am On Feb 20, 2020
daewoorazer:
Kanu Nwankwo
1 August, 1976

Won CAF award: 1996 & 1999

Place of birth: Owerri, Nigeria

Height: 1.97 m (6 ft 6 in)

Role: Forward

Teams Played for:

1992–1993
Iwuanyanwu Nationale

1993–1996
Ajax

1996–1999
Inter Milan

1999–2004
Arsenal

2004–2006
West Bromwich Albion

2006–2012
Portsmouth

grin cool
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Integrafamoo: 9:07am On Feb 20, 2020
Apart from Rashidi Yekini, Okocha scored more than others for national team. He was not just lucky

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by einsteine(m): 9:23am On Feb 20, 2020
Elock1:
shocked
Nigerians that deserved it but got robbed

1.Jay Jay Okocha- at the end it was awarded to El-Hadji Diouf (like someone should tell me how Diouf was better than Okocha that year, or any year at all please)

2.Victor Moses- yes, he was really hot and pivotal to the success of chelsea that year but it was given to Mo Salah (Salah had only started making waves in d current year) giving it to aubameyang in Dortmund would have been better sef

Nigerians that may get it in the long run

1.Chukwueze- He may not be getting the goals and assist presently, but staying focused,making good career choices and hardwork will take him to places

2.Victor Osimhen- i know you were expecting this. All Goalsimhen needs is going to the right club, better publicity and banging more goals frequently

Notable mention

Joe Aribo

#widaz_KLUB

Super Eagles 4 life

Jay jay was never nominated with El Hadji Diouf.

In the two years that Diouf won it, no African was better than him. Is it the nonsense that Nigeria played at Korea/Japan while Diouf was leading the Teranga Lions to a quarterfinal (after beating France) in their first world cup? In fact that year, Senegal beat Nigeria in the Semi Finals of the AFCON.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Vinex4uba(m): 9:33am On Feb 20, 2020
Elock1:
shocked
Nigerians that deserved it but got robbed

1.Jay Jay Okocha- at the end it was awarded to El-Hadji Diouf (like someone should tell me how Diouf was better than Okocha that year, or any year at all please)

2.Victor Moses- yes, he was really hot and pivotal to the success of chelsea that year but it was given to Mo Salah (Salah had only started making waves in d current year) giving it to aubameyang in Dortmund would have been better sef

Nigerians that may get it in the long run

1.Chukwueze- He may not be getting the goals and assist presently, but staying focused,making good career choices and hardwork will take him to places

2.Victor Osimhen- i know you were expecting this. All Goalsimhen needs is going to the right club, better publicity and banging more goals frequently

Notable mention

Joe Aribo

#widaz_KLUB

Super Eagles 4 life
Okocha deserve it in 1998 because he was already as the BBC African player of the year but Hadji Mustapha from Morocco collected the award due to partial politics of CAF dignitaries.
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Nobody: 9:35am On Feb 20, 2020
So Asizat na tennis player
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by MayenKudi: 9:53am On Feb 20, 2020
daewoorazer:
Kanu Nwankwo
1 August, 1976

Won CAF award: 1996 & 1999

Place of birth: Owerri, Nigeria

Height: 1.97 m (6 ft 6 in)

Role: Forward

Teams Played for:

1992–1993
Iwuanyanwu Nationale

1993–1996
Ajax

1996–1999
Inter Milan

1999–2004
Arsenal

2004–2006
West Bromwich Albion

2006–2012
Portsmouth
greatest Nigerian player of all time
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Queenethronke: 9:54am On Feb 20, 2020
Hello, I'm Aderonke. I'm a freelance writer highly skilled in Article and blog post writing.
*I share awesome tips on my status(Job offers, Free course links, poems, Business insights and success story)*.
I would like you to join my WhatsApp family

Please Save my no following this link
https:///2uc5j8D
Or 08165064602

And help repost to your contacts.
Thanks a lot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Elxandre(m): 9:56am On Feb 20, 2020
Tokziby:

The main robbery was committed in 1998 and 2004. In 1998 okocha was rated amongst the most outstanding player in France 98. BBC awarded him best player in Africa but the Issa Ayatou led Caf gave it to Mustapha Hadji. In 2004, okocha led Bolton, a bottom club to their best ever position in EPL 8th, took them to the finals of EFL cup, he won the mvp and joint top scorer in Tunisia 2004 but Caf had to deny him once again and awarded it to Eto'o whom Okocha single handedly oust at the nation's cup Q/finals, didn't win anything in 2004 but newly joined Barca.
How did the likes of Kanu win then?
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Impactever(m): 10:04am On Feb 20, 2020
CAF need to Apologize to JJ Okocha for rubbing him of his due CAF African best player of the year for 1998 and 2004.

The list remains incomplete until Austin JJ Okocha's name is added.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Nobody: 11:01am On Feb 20, 2020
promzy555:
I don't understand what u meant by being stingy in football... So those other guy bribe to get d award? I feel he was Rob
Stingy isn't same as bribery. Most, if not all the players contribute toward the progress and development of football in africa, especially CAF. It's done in European football as well. Its voluntary. Okocha had been approached several times and he simply turned them down. You mean you didn't know about this?
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by bluefilm: 11:04am On Feb 20, 2020
madridguy:
It is a big shame that since the year 1999 no Nigeria player has won the award again lipsrsealed

When you no sabi; you no sabi.

Dasal.
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by BluntBoy(m): 11:28am On Feb 20, 2020
princeade86:
None of them were even near to Jay Jay okocho if truly they giving this award to individuals base on their talents.

Football is not all about dribbling.

Kanu was a far more intelligent player and dribbler than Okocha.

And in 1997, Victor Ikpeba was simply phenomenal.

However, I have heard that the 1996 award should have gone to Daniel Amokachi but was given to Kanu because the organizers felt that with his heart problem, Kanu will never play beyond 1996. More like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

But there is no denying Kanu's prowess.

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Respect55(m): 11:40am On Feb 20, 2020
They didn't get the chance to play with Lord Lingardinho.

1 Like

Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Elock1: 12:02pm On Feb 20, 2020
EVILFOREST:

It is SHAMEFUL and DEROGATORY, to use another CONTINENT'S FOOTBALL GAMES to judge another CONTINENT.
That TRULY shows that AFRICA is filled with MONKEYS.

Please, when the whites call you MONKEY, just accept and move on.

ASIA and SOUTH AMERICA will never take such NONSENSE, not even EUROPE
RONALDO, RONALDO, MESSI never won any South AMERICA indigenous awards from EUROPE.

U must distinguish your self in your continent to EARN SUCH.

MANE is far better than SALAH, when AFRICA is involved.

AFRICA is so backward that it can even give such an award to someone that has never visited to play for his country in AFRICA.
I wouldn't be surprised if I heard they gave ALABA, African Best Awards.

WAKE UP AFRICA....
but sir I'm yet to understand why I was quoted in this post...can you enlighten me please
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Elock1: 12:08pm On Feb 20, 2020
einsteine:

Jay jay was never nominated with El Hadji Diouf.

In the two years that Diouf won it, no African was better than him. Is it the nonsense that Nigeria played at Korea/Japan while Diouf was leading the Teranga Lions to a quarterfinal (after beating France) in their first world cup? In fact that year, Senegal beat Nigeria in the Semi Finals of the AFCON.

sorry my bad...meant Hadji Mustapha...thanks for the correction.
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by IloveToMess: 12:30pm On Feb 20, 2020
tartar9:
I thought igbos developed football

Of course yes
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by abdulkayus(m): 12:56pm On Feb 20, 2020
Integrafamoo:
Apart from Rashidi Yekini, Okocha scored more than others for national team. He was not just lucky

That is a lie cos even Yakuba Aiyegbeni and Obafemi Martins has more goals for Nigeria than JJ Okocha
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by Agadss101(m): 12:59pm On Feb 20, 2020
Non in recent times
ejimatic:
. only forward /striker can win African Footballer of the Year....Goalkeeper midfielder defender cannot win it !How painful!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by saasala(m): 3:26pm On Feb 20, 2020
englishmart:

Victor Ikpeba and Bet9ja have been ruining more lives than they have bettered lives

Okocha should have been in the list if he played for a reasonable club and took goalscoring seriously. Okocha that will dribble everybody including himself and still choose not to score

His choosing not to score and in seriousness with the ball is the reason behind him not achieving his best
Re: 4 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Won The CAF Footballer Of The Year Award by michealoluwaseyi(m): 3:58pm On Feb 20, 2020
MayenKudi:
greatest Nigerian player of all time
greatest bench warmer of all time,baba no even get a single afcon goal

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ronaldinho Set To Run For Senate In Brazil (Photos) / 2018 World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria Vs Algeria - Who Is Your Man Of The March? / Britney Griners Sentenced To 9 Years In Russian Prison For Drug-Smuggling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.