Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

How I Delivered 5 Nysc Community Development Service Projects In 5 Months - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How I Delivered 5 Nysc Community Development Service Projects In 5 Months (1928 Views)

Kogi Is Proud Of 5 Nysc Members / Corper Michael Osadiaye Ehigiator's Community Development Project In Calabar / 5 NYSC Corpers Kidnapped In Katsina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Delivered 5 Nysc Community Development Service Projects In 5 Months by SamuelDk(m): 12:04am On Feb 22, 2020
Championing 5 personal Community Development Service projects in Kwara within 5 months in my service year was a major breakthrough for some communities forgotten in the rural. With the zeal of meeting the 2030 targets of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) I could lead World Suicide Prevention Day Campaign/Conference/Rally in Kwara which saved lives and hit national newspaper and local radio stations, sensitize over 1200 students across 4 secondary schools in Edu LGA, Kwara, provide school uniforms to indigent pupils and pair of a dozen classroom chairs to LGEA Primary School Ndeji, Edu LGA, in a bit to lift pupils from writing on the floor and provide Sabongeri-Ndeji a borehole within a month.
Under the mentorship of Enene Akonjom Foundation, I was able to meet up with my targets before the termination of my service year. I dedicated the first 5 months of my service year preparing, planning, strategizing and carried out needs assessment in Edu LGA. I pasted over 9 plans on the walls of my room and woke up to them.
World Suicide Prevention Day Campaign/Conference and Rally was the first project which was made possible through collaboration from over 18 organizations in Kwara State. My kind of zeal was unstoppable, I could approach any government and private organizations seeking for partnership. All resources and funds needed were contributed from different organizations. Most of them where people who were readily committed to the cause of Suicide prevention, one of which is Suicide and Depression Awareness Foundation (SADAF) who linked me up freely with what my money can’t afford. My call for volunteers ushered in UNILORIN students with burning zeal for humanitarian services. At this point I could use the power of collaboration with energetic youths to achieve the global goals. The Nigerian Red Cross Society was of a great assistance with their volunteers, technical advice and resources. The Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development offered up their hall for our conference. Linkage from volunteers gave us free airtime to use UNILORIN FM for suicide prevention sensitization. The outcome of the whole event was pushed to feature in the Guardian Newspaper, all for free. Thanks to Mentally Aware Nigeria Initiative (MANI) who gave professional and technical assistance to my team. We utilized online campaign, billboard and radio stations (Harmony Fm and UNILORIN Fm) to reach out to Kwara people and suburbs.
I came across a primary school in Edu (LGEA Primary School, Ndeji), where pupils sit on the floor to learn. I was triggered with empathy for those children and took some snapshots while sitting on same floor with them. I was certain I could lift them from sitting on the floor to learn. I began to seek support from NGOs who could be of help to give these children a more quality education. The advocacy was coupled with the provision of school uniforms to 15 indigent pupils in same school who have no access to it. Enene Akonjom Foundation and Leave Impact for Eternity (LIFE) Foundation made donations which lead to the construction of pair of dozen classroom chairs and 15 school uniforms. The cost of the chair construction was reduced through mutual collaboration with the community Timber Association to assist supply wood at a 50% discount.
October 2019, I set out to sensitize over 1000 students across 4 secondary schools in Edu LGA, on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Teaching the SDGs in secondary schools was a major target to raise the next generation social change-makers, who do not see problems from the perspective of government’s failure but as a global challenge that needs collaborative actions to make the world a better place to be.
December 2019, I volunteered for the SDG Family Activation (World Largest Lesson) anchored by DEAN Initiative, to extend the SDG sensitization to a community in Edu LGA called Sabongeri-Ndeji. The outcome of the sensitization exposed the only source of drinking water which was bad and pitiable. The community pleaded me to save them from the health danger they face with the water. I quickly took snapshots of the situation in NYSC uniform and uploaded to Twitter (@sam_unleash) seeking for intervention. I look it upon myself to advocate for them until it comes across their saviour. I collaborated with Mr Kehinde Akinsola, the coordinator World Largest Lesson Kwara Chapter and we formulated the #ConstructSabongeriWater twitter hashtag. The campaign officially kicked off January 1st, 2020 with the support of the Kwara State SDG Activators Team and a separate WhatsApp group of volunteers dedicated for the cause. My responsibility was to compose daily advocacy tweet while the team make it viral. The viral campaign came across the path of many government organizations and NGOs whose cause is about water. Next Blue Stories, an international storytelling platform about water followed the campaign update and sent me a private message tagging my campaign an inspiring one and requested the inspiring story behind it published on their international storytelling platform. The campaign terminated on the 23rd day of January, marking 23 days of consistency. The #BuildAWell #FixABorehole #WaterTheNeedy twitter team intervened. Within 7 days, construction of a manual borehole was completed on the site and from 30th January, Sabongeri-Ndeji had access to clean water for the first time in the existence of the community.
The actualization of these projects tell how collaboration with people (especially youths) of like-minds can be of great support for local actions towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations. I challenge and encourage all corps members to live up to the tenets of their service to our fatherland through implementation of community development service projects and meet up with the main objective of the National Youth Service Corps scheme.
Samuel Dike Omaka (KW/19A/1928)
Kindly comment and share let good deed trend.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Delivered 5 Nysc Community Development Service Projects In 5 Months by budaatum: 12:09am On Feb 22, 2020
SamuelDk, you will surely grow and prosper a hundredfold!

Lazy fuqs, come and see your opposite here. A leader and hard working effective person, and not a wailing lazy fuq like you!

3 Likes

Re: How I Delivered 5 Nysc Community Development Service Projects In 5 Months by chatinent: 12:18am On Feb 22, 2020
Good work pays.

1 Like

Re: How I Delivered 5 Nysc Community Development Service Projects In 5 Months by SamuelDk(m): 12:19am On Feb 22, 2020
budaatum:
SamuelDk, you will surely grow and prosper a hundredfold!

Lazy fuqs, come and see your opposite here. A leader and hard working effective person, and not a wailing lazy fuq like you!

Amen ooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Delivered 5 Nysc Community Development Service Projects In 5 Months by Charleys: 12:51am On Feb 22, 2020
Oya take go buy sense.
Re: How I Delivered 5 Nysc Community Development Service Projects In 5 Months by saintpet(m): 11:06pm On Feb 22, 2020
Good work bro, reward is coming
Re: How I Delivered 5 Nysc Community Development Service Projects In 5 Months by LordAzubuike(f): 11:54am On Feb 24, 2020
saintpet:
Good work bro, reward is coming
Charleys:
Oya take go buy sense.
Do you think that boy is doing this for the good of mankind? He's just doing it for his own benefit.

There are special attention given to projects like these at the end of POP. Presidential handshake, financial aide and jobs. That's what the boy is after and not to serve humanity. If he wasn't after it , you think he'll be online begging you to help him broadcast and share? Lol

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Need The NYSC Uniform / NYSC Batch A'16 Come Let's Have Fun / Niger State A17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.