Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,477 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

.. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / .. (990 Views)

How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? / Can I Do Masters In Nigeria With Second Class Lower? / Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

.. by Hush365(m): 11:40am On Feb 23, 2020
Re: .. by Niyeal(m): 11:44am On Feb 23, 2020
Hush365:
Hi Everyone am new here, am currently a student of architecture in my final year and about to start 1st semester exams. Currently my gp is 1.1 & I have 24 combined carryovers to rewrite 4 both this semester n d next... I'll like to know if I still have hope of comin out with a 2.5 and also any advice is appreciated cos right now depression has taken over my life. Most of the carryovers are from my year2 it happened so because I repeated that whole year due to 10marks being deducted from my defense score as punishment 4 not being in school during accreditation and over here if you fail your defense you repeat that year so because of what happened I lost my way I didn't even attend any exams during my second year both first and second semester it was till after we did that defense again and I passed that my senses came back. But now I v a gp of 1.1 with 24total carryovers to rewrite along with my final year exams. Do I still have hopes of coming out with 2.5 or should I drop out of school? Also I m d only child of my parents so expectations are overwhelming me and I hv no1 to talk to so I came here to ask you all for advice on my next step
oga please face the skill aspect of the architecture and forget about the paper certificate.
be good in the skills, you will show your skill in labour market not your certificate. don't be depressed, catch the fun side of life. run after skills I repeat, forget grade joo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: .. by geemailer2019: 11:51am On Feb 23, 2020
GP of 1.1? Can you tell more about why this is so? Not being able to understand what you read, or lots of distractions? Can you highlight on some of those distractions (if any)?

What is really the problem? You don't like the course? You don't want to be in college? What exactly?

You do really need counseling. Talk to your academic adviser as well.

In addition to your GPA, you need to understand the course you're studying to be able to make anything meaningful out of it in the future

Think about 10 years from now, do you think you can compete without a good working knowledge of your degree program, or one with a poor grade for that matter?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: .. by biobash(m): 12:05pm On Feb 23, 2020
@OP, forget about graduating with 2.5 first, focus your energy on passing all your carryovers with high level of seriousness. Also, you can try calculating your carryovers if passed with certain grades to know if the 2.5 is within range.

Finally, like someone advised earlier, aside pursuing the certificate, try and learn the rudiments necessary, more like self development to make you a successful Architect.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: .. by budaatum: 12:12pm On Feb 23, 2020
We do tend to focus on the grades and not on the skills. We then graduate with a 1st but with no skills at all!

There's good advise for you here. Your grades do not determine your know how, and its the know how that matters in what you've chosen to study. So just graft and get that degree and be judged by your fruits of your labour and not by your grades alone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: .. by Undilutedme: 12:14pm On Feb 23, 2020
Yes you can BUT only one ONE condition.

Pass all your carryovers with all As
Then pass all your final year papers with all As too. With a minimum of just 3Bs. All the best

Don't let anybody deceive you that school is SCAM.
Re: .. by chatinent: 12:45pm On Feb 23, 2020
Just put in effort.
Re: .. by engrjosefz(m): 12:58pm On Feb 23, 2020
You can get 2.5 n above with relentless studying and prayers with determination.

But just like you pointed out in ur post, you should have discussed with your parents since before now what problems and challenges you're facing because Las Las your parents (family) are the ones who you can always rely upon and will stand by you in your good and bad times...

If I were you I would have done any of this now with the current status of your CGPA.

1. Study harder to pass all your current level exam and the ones you have outstanding. whatever grades you finish with try to get some training on the practical aspects of your course that is using the softwares to design and do development stuff.

2. The hard choice... IF AGE IS STILL ON YOUR SIDE you can start all over again from the beginning in a new school and be prepared to do your best to get a good result out.
But mind you getting a good result in Nigeria doesn't guarantee automatic employment.

May God help you.

N.B: Discuss with your parents this issues as soon as possible. Because you don't have any choice and sooner or later they may find out, they will be disappointed at first but later they will still support you. And this act also will give you a rest of mind to concentrate well to read for the exam because they won't be expecting too much from you. expectations is what is making you feel depressed.

Good Luck!
Re: .. by Hahjascho(m): 1:06pm On Feb 23, 2020
Confused comments everywhere. Will getting focused on the skills aspect of his course alone clear off his carry-overs? or offer him a direct 2:2?

Direct question... direct answer...

Just study very hard to pass the remaining courses excellently.. then you can start from there.
Re: .. by basmur(m): 2:19pm On Feb 23, 2020
Whatever plans you are making I hope spill and splash year are in your considerations?
Re: .. by Mistaicey2288: 2:31pm On Feb 23, 2020
Sorry about your Ordeal OP..

Firstly, with 24 carry overs to be done plus your normal final year courses to be done, i don't see the possibility of you finishing this year. There will definitely be an extra year because you can't finish registering all those courses without exceeding the maximum Units for each Semester... My advise to you is, if truly you still wanna push on with this and graduate from that school, you can go ahead and be serious about it. And Yes, it is absolutely possible foe you to make a 2.2 and even a stronger GPA than 2. 5 since there are 24 spill over courses and if you score good grades in most of them, it will definitely boost your GPA.

On the other hand, always have it at the back of your mind that being a University graduate in Nigeria doesn't equate to being successful in life. You should try aquire some skill too as a backup plan for yourself. Good luck with your decisions.. This is just a phase and it will surely pass so be calm.
Re: .. by Viserion: 5:03pm On Feb 23, 2020
24 carryovers... � OMG
Re: .. by edidiongv: 11:47pm On Feb 23, 2020
Hello please call me there is something I would love to share with you 08174919389
Re: .. by MrStan11(m): 1:04am On Feb 24, 2020
Your mates re seriously planning on how to leave this shithole, you re here complaining of carry over.

Las las Buhari hired SANS to defend his certificate.

Just continue.
Re: .. by Hush365(m): 8:48am On Feb 24, 2020
Tanks you all for the advice... I'll continue n do my best and also learn secondary skills

(1) (Reply)

See Reason You Should Go For Master's Degree / UK University Admission, 5 Mistakes That'll Make You Lose Your Admission Offer / Teaching Method: Field Trip And Students Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.