Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

So Whats All The Fuss About A Bank Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / So Whats All The Fuss About A Bank Job? (679 Views)

The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff / Massive Bank Job Loss Imminent In 2016 / Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So Whats All The Fuss About A Bank Job? by NumberOne2(m): 1:28pm On Dec 17, 2010
I don't know why almost every graduate wants to work in a bank. There is a misconception here. The money clients deposit in the bank is not for the bankers, it still is owned by the client. Their salaries are nothing to write home about added to the stress and pressure.

The only advantage I may say is they have loan facilities (which have interest). You can take a car loan or house loan and pay over time (years). So what great about driving a car that you haven't paid for?

My gal is a banker. My kid brother is a banker. They are both currently looking for other jobs. So tell me, whats all the fuss about?
Re: So Whats All The Fuss About A Bank Job? by AjanleKoko: 4:05pm On Dec 17, 2010
No fuss. It's just a job like any other.
Re: So Whats All The Fuss About A Bank Job? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Dec 17, 2010
First off, there's a difference between bankers and bank workers wink
Re: So Whats All The Fuss About A Bank Job? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Dec 17, 2010
oyb:

First off, there's a difference between bankers and bank workers  wink

Damn right. Like 95% of the so called 'bankers' are actually other-professionals that happen to work in a bank: cashiers, clerks, salesmen, IT technicians, computer operators, etc.

@ topic
What actually led to 'all the fuss' as you call it was that from the 90's through to the expansion of the economy during the Obasanjo years, banks were the biggest employers of labour in the country, and their pay scale was way ahead of other sectors of the economy (except oil & gas).

Their employment policies were also quite liberal, they took anybody so long as you had a minimum of 2:2 university degree, naturally everyone wanted to work for them. But now that Sanusi has brought down the hammer on the feeding frenzy grin things are surely going to change.
Re: So Whats All The Fuss About A Bank Job? by DisGuy: 8:43pm On Dec 18, 2010
and maybe because they are part of the group that pay actual living wages- apart from Oil N gas, Telcoms and some I.T

and they absorb quite a large number of graduate at a certain time
Re: So Whats All The Fuss About A Bank Job? by AjanleKoko: 10:00am On Dec 20, 2010
Going back to the OP< I'm not sure every graduate would want to work in a bank, but for the reasons posited here:
Dis Guy:

and maybe because they are part of the group that pay actual living wages- apart from Oil N gas, Telcoms and some I.T

and they absorb quite a large number of graduate at a certain time

Outside that, I doubt if most graduates would work in a bank if there were other equally-viable opportunities.
Re: So Whats All The Fuss About A Bank Job? by Creamish(f): 12:24pm On Dec 20, 2010
Im a banker myself . .will clock 4 yrs pretty soon . . initially, d pay was "all-that" . . we used to get profit sharing as well . . u culd actually compare it wit an Oil workerz salary . . especially if u are a university graduate (in my own bank o) . . but now, like ur bro n gurl . .im lookn for a way out. . . its not as fun as it used to b . . . salary slash, staff slash and 10times d workload and pressure sure aint worth it anymore . . . undecided

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Largest Recruitments Is Available Now / Boost Your Cv: The Role Of Values / Quotes For The Workplace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.