Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,161 members, 7,829,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums (481 Views)

Dapo Abiodun Shares Initiatives And Programmes With Transport Workers In Ogun / Osinbajo: FG Collaborating With Investors To Improve Nigeria’s Digital Sector / Only Atiku Can Restructure And Improve Nigeria's Economy - Nwodo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by Blue3k(m): 9:53pm On Feb 24, 2020
Nigeria should expand direct democracy by introducing ballot measures. State and local can achieve this by adding passing laws granting initiatives and referendums. An initiative is the method by which voters propose bills that the legislature is compelled to consider. A referendum is the method that allows citizens to vote on proposed laws printed on their ballot. Nigeria already practices directed democracy by having a recall process for state and federal legislators. Increasing direct democracy will improve the level of accountability to electorate, control and participation by the citizens.

Ballot measure laws should be determined by local and state government unlike the current recall laws. State independent electoral commissions can be tasked with the responsibility of holding these elections. Local government ballot measures Should conversely be handled by that tier of government. The financial capacity already exist to handle this responsibility. Ballot measure should only require 5% of registered voter signatures to initiate instead 50 required by recall process. All ballot measures passed must naturally be veto proof.

The ballot initiative and referendum process can direct or indirect. Direct initiatives is the process by which citizens bypass their legislature to place proposed statutes directly on the ballot for voter approval. The process is accomplished by collecting the necessary number of signatures. Indirect initiative must go to the legislature first to give lawmakers a chance to take action before the proposal on the ballot. Then legislature could have the options of passing law, doing nothing leaving it up the people, or propose a new law addressing the same subject as citizen initiated measures allowing voters to pick what version the prefer. Legislative referendum is a process in which legislators propose statues on the ballot.

Other types of ballot measures can be implemented to guide public policy. Advisory referendums can be used to gauge public support for certain policies. These types of referendums are non-biding so they don’t affect existing law. Veto referendum is the the process by which citizens can uphold or repeal specific statues passed by the legislature. The veto referendum could be used to reign in emoluments or repeal governor pensions.

Implementing more forms of direct democracy through ballot measures strengthens popular sovereignty. State and local governments already have the means to conduct ballot measures. In respect to federalism these processes should be conducted and regulated at the local level. The government derives its power from the people so it is incumbent on the representatives to obey.

Front page: Lalasticlala mynd44

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by Blue3k(m): 11:08pm On Feb 24, 2020
These measures would go a long way in restraining the government. The lapdog state assembly men would essentially be removed from the process. Do do guys want these laws? If so what laws would you passed their ballot measures?

I would like a veto referendum on governor pensions in Akwa Ibom. They earn obscene amount of money for nothing. It would be great initiatives bills limiting public servant pay and emoluments spending. Then bill on environmental clean up in oil producing communities.

Front page: Lalasticlala
Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by Blue3k(m): 2:07pm On Feb 25, 2020
The only issue might be the courts. There's nothing in the constitution forbidding these measures from what I skimmed. A governor might sue because popular votes would restrict veto power.
Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by helinues: 2:10pm On Feb 25, 2020
sad
Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by Blue3k(m): 3:08pm On Feb 25, 2020
helinues:
Nigerians are used to suffering and smiling... The revolution part is not what can never happened in Nigeria... Chop make I chop technique won't let us reason that way..
helinues:
sad

You dont like or want the solution proposed? If Nigerian have the option of improving their society themselves they'll do so. This wouldn't require a revolution...

Ps: it's funny how dumb threads get traction.
Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by helinues: 3:13pm On Feb 25, 2020
Blue3k:

You dont like or want the solution proposed? If Nigerian have the option of improving their society themselves they'll do so. This wouldn't require a revolution...

Ps: it's funny how dumb threads get traction.

Are you a mind reader?

So na sin if person waka pass a thread?
Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by sapientia(m): 3:16pm On Feb 25, 2020
Mature solution that will take us donkey years.

Let them give us electronic voting first.

Because they will kill themselves in these your solution without electronic voting.
Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by Blue3k(m): 3:19pm On Feb 25, 2020
helinues:

Are you a mind reader? So na sin if person waka pass a thread?

If I was a mind reader I wouldn't ask you questions. I didnt say they're actions are evil just funny. Again I ask what's wrong with the proposal? It seems you had nothing of substance to say helinues. Lol this isn't surprising.

sapientia:
Mature solution that will take us donkey years.

Let them give us electronic voting first.

Because they will kill themselves in these your solution without electronic voting.

I dont think electronic voting is necessary for this process to work. I do agree it would take years to implement and probably not practice in all the states. Anyway you should lobby for electronic voting locally then it will spread nationwide after it proven itself.

What do you mean by kill themselves?
Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by sapientia(m): 3:33pm On Feb 25, 2020
Blue3k:

I dont think electronic voting is necessary for this process to work. I do agree it would take years to implement and probably not practice in all the states. Anyway you should lobby for electronic voting locally then it will spread nationwide after it proven itself.

What do you mean by kill themselves?

What you are proposing will involve ballot boxes right?

Nigerians shoot in councilorship elections.

We start shooting sef before election materials arrive.

So if whatever you are proposing involves voting via ballot, expect what is obtainable now.

If our elections have always been peaceful, would have been a different thing all together.

Plus, with electronic voting, implementing what you stated wont take much time and funds again.
Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by Blue3k(m): 3:48pm On Feb 25, 2020
sapientia:

What you are proposing will involve ballot boxes right? Nigerians shoot in councilorship elections. We start shooting sef before election materials arrive. So if whatever you are proposing involves voting via ballot, expect what is obtainable now. If our elections have always been peaceful, would have been a different thing all together. Plus, with electronic voting, implementing what you stated wont take much time and funds again.

It sounds like your problem is securing the facility. The same people will just shoot up regardless as you put it. The cost is reduced in staff counting votes. You just have to buy the Electronic Voter Machines. Printing more paper isn't that expensive. You'll just deal with potential hacking and transmitting data over phone and secured network.

State and local governments already have the means to conduct ballot measures. In respect to federalism these processes should be conducted and regulated at the local level. 

Again these measures measures are intended for state and local governments. If you feel you need this in particular for your locality go ahead. States electoral commission already conduct local elections. It would behoove you start your campaign there for the next election cycle.
Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by Blue3k(m): 1:50pm On Feb 26, 2020
Bump
Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by Built2last: 1:51pm On Feb 26, 2020
ok
Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by Blue3k(m): 6:06pm On Mar 22, 2020
One thing I'd like to see this implement with most is NLTP. I read articles stating politicans are always consulting the people and traditions rulers to get approval for xyz. It's weird they dont just ask the effected party to simply vote on the matter.

Dave Umahi quotes on NLTP supports.

He stated that the three states had grazing reserves and consultations had been made with the people of the states and their traditional rulers who had expressed their willingness to embrace the programme.
He added that the principle remained the execution of the programme in accordance with the consent of the people.
Re: Direct Democracy: Improve Nigeria By Introducing initiatives and referendums by Blue3k(m): 2:47pm On Apr 29, 2020
Seun:
I've always believed that the government should not be allowed to borrow money from foreign entities without first winning an open referendum. If you want to borrow money on my behalf, which I will have to repay when you are long gone, you should have to inform and convince me first.

Anyway this sort of proposal actually exists on state and local level in the united states. In Texas they're known as bond issues where citizens vote on proposed borrowing. The legislature would first have to pass a law limiting their ability to borrow before hand. I don't see the federal government doing it but states and local governments can easily do implement this efficiently.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

IPOB Have Forced Both Fulani And Yaribaz To Speak In Favour Of Igbos (see Prove) / BREAKING: Reps Adjourn Plenary For Fear Of Contracting Coronavirus / PDP Behind Plot To Humiliate Oshiomhole Out Of Office - Governor Uzodinma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.