Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,516 members, 7,819,862 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval (24440 Views)

Was My Boss Right For Sacking Me Because I Was Hypotized. / Dangote Cement Sacks 3000 Staff Without Notice, Due Process - Sahara Reporters / Globacom Denies Sacking Female Staff Due To Marital Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by wonuks(m): 8:29am On Feb 25, 2020
grin
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by jericco1(m): 8:29am On Feb 25, 2020
Story grin
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by abbaapple: 8:29am On Feb 25, 2020
angry

Festus Keyamo on the beat! If you know you know lipsrsealed
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by damosade(m): 8:31am On Feb 25, 2020
lawrenzooo:

You still cannot sack 2000 staff in a year even if you sack 4 staff everyday. Be guided.

And they will come with their performance criteria.
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by sampete(m): 8:32am On Feb 25, 2020
Please how true is this?

Please be informed that the new financial act of 2020 states that you incure a N50 stamp duty charge on every transaction of 10,000 and above.

This is the message Wema bank sent when I contacted them for charging me for receiving money into my account. They debit N50 from my account anytime I receive money.
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by osuofia2(m): 8:32am On Feb 25, 2020
post=86936440:
[s]Good way to go....

Unfortunately, they always have one reasons or the othe[/s]r.
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by SocialJustice: 8:33am On Feb 25, 2020
itsme01:
smiley

they would simply keep hiring disposable Temporary or Contract staffs... CBN did something proactive and must be commended .. But that Yeye man called Chris Ngige needs to wake up as a Minister of labor and restrict contract staff and employment probation period to only 6 months, after 6 months a Temporary Staff must get an actual contract of engagement

The thing is a lot more complicated than this. The most effective way to stop labour exploitation is for labour to reject poor service conditions. The job deficit in Nigeria is too much and there will always be people willing to take N35k for a job that should normally pay N120k. Government also can not enforce wage on the private sector, wage is market driven. If there are jobs and getting labour is hard, wages and work conditions will go up.
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by Mysticwebb: 8:34am On Feb 25, 2020
lawrenzooo:

You still cannot sack 2000 staff in a year even if you sack 4 staff everyday. Be guided.
It mustn't be 2000, just get substantial number out and bring in fresh blood with zeal and hunger to beat the ever increasing challenges.
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by frankmoney(m): 8:35am On Feb 25, 2020
Good move
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by GiggyJaggi: 8:37am On Feb 25, 2020
[s]
post=86936440:
Good way to go....

Unfortunately, they always have one reasons or the other.
[/s]
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by anonimi: 8:38am On Feb 25, 2020

1 Like

Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by henryobinna(m): 8:38am On Feb 25, 2020
Stupid CBN, nobody is talking of the new policy on dorm accounts
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by einsteine(m): 8:38am On Feb 25, 2020
lawrenzooo:

People are usually forced to resign.

That wouldn't be noted as sack in the statistics. I would even say more than 80% of the job losses in banking are based on forced resignations.

1 Like

Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by einsteine(m): 8:39am On Feb 25, 2020
sampete:
Please how true is this?

Please be informed that the new financial act of 2020 states that you incure a N50 stamp duty charge on every transaction of 10,000 and above.

This is the message Wema bank sent when I contacted them for charging me for receiving money into my account. They debit N50 from my account anytime I receive money.

Yes, that's the new law.
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by Kobicove(m): 8:41am On Feb 25, 2020
itsme01:
smiley

They would simply keep hiring disposable Temporary or Contract staffs... CBN did something proactive and must be commended .. but that Yeye man called Chris Ngige needs to wake up as a Minister of labor and restrict contract staff and employment probation period to only 6 months, after 6 months a Temporary Staff must get an actual contract of engagement

I hope you will still maintain this position if you ever become a management staff in a bank.

Nigerians love to talk but when you give them an opportunity to change things they will still do the exact things they criticised! undecided

2 Likes

Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by Froshloaded: 8:44am On Feb 25, 2020
Bankers will be so happy
At least their job is secured
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by GiggyJaggi: 8:46am On Feb 25, 2020
[s]
itsme01:

haaa!! 50% yet we have ministry of labor and they are turning blind eye to this evil
[/s]
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by thatigboman: 8:46am On Feb 25, 2020
ultron12345:
Rubbish
Banks are private businesses which depend on performance to make profit to pay their staff, not government agencies which do nothing and receive allocation at the end of the month.

They want to infest the performance-driven private banking sector with their useless, unproductive and redundant civil service attitude.

So if staff are misbehaving or unable to meet performance target, the bank can't sack them? They should keep paying unproductive staff?

Rubbish
I trust the banks will fight this or it will just be another paper law that wouldn't be enforced.

Anyone who can't perform should be booted out.
If the bank can't pay you any longer, then it's better you're sacked than to keep you and be owing you salary for months while tarnishing their reputation.

In fact, the government civil service should be copying these banks. Every month, there should be Performance Review for in all government offices for all staff. Anyone unable to perform should be sanctioned and if he/she continues, should be booted out and more productive people employed.

No wonder they like government work, where they earn money without adding value, where they enter office by 10am, gist with their colleagues till 12pm while using their non-chalant attitude to frustrate the people their supposed to provide services to, then sleep till 2pm when they'll begin packing their bags to leave before 4pm. And at the end of the month, office will receive allocation and staff will receive salary for doing nothing. I've always said, the Nigerian Civil Service is the largest welfare scheme in this country, where free money is shared to unproductive people.
decision of bankers committee. do u know the composition of bankers committee at all? All MDs of banks and top officials of CBN.
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by itsme01: 8:57am On Feb 25, 2020
Kobicove:

I hope you will still maintain this position if you ever become a management staff in a bank.

Nigerian love to talk but when you give them an opportunity to change things they will still do the exact things they criticised! undecided

have you gone through financial reports of this banks and the profit after tax they declare each quarter... a little staff welfare isn't going to hurt them
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by Skyonebaba: 8:59am On Feb 25, 2020
[center][/center][quote][/quote]

NICE MOVE , BUT THESE BANKS WILL DEVELOP ANOTHER STRATEGY OF FORCING THEM TO RESIGN THROUGH UNNECESSARY TRANSFER AND OVERTIME WORK ......
IMAGINE A SITUATION WHERE A NURSING MOTHER IS TRANSFERRED FROM ONITSHA TO ENUGU OR EVEN AWKA WHILE HER HUSBAND IS A BUSINESS MAN IN ONITSHA AND THEIR MARRIAGE IS JUST TWO YEARS .
WON'T SHE RESIGN ?

NONSENSE BANKING WORK
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by Comedian2019: 9:04am On Feb 25, 2020
Mysticwebb:
In that case we will space the sack to run through the year, like 4 staff at a time till we get at the required number.
They will simply be sacking 4 per day grin grin grin grin
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by adedayourt(m): 9:04am On Feb 25, 2020
Mysticwebb:
In that case we will space the sack to run through the year, like 4 staff at a time till we get at the required number.

For every regulation there is a loophole, banks will only exploit of the loop hole in this
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by agitator: 9:13am On Feb 25, 2020
Ijaya123:
This is more like playing to the gallery. Nobody should be fooled here that the banks will comply.

Did the banks inform CBN before employing the staffs?

Second base Abeg...

Bros chop knuckle, you sabi wetin dey.

But most Nigerian youths go get org azm for this kind news that is why the leaders they always play to the galllery.
They can not ask if CBN has that power to tell an entity what to do with their staff. Some of them think banks are link branches of a ministry under CBN where the minister of CBN can give order any how.

1 Like

Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by yuceela: 9:14am On Feb 25, 2020
ultron12345:
Rubbish
Banks are private businesses which depend on performance to make profit to pay their staff, not government agencies which do nothing and receive allocation at the end of the month.

They want to infest the performance-driven private banking sector with their useless, unproductive, redundant and incompetent civil service attitude.

So if staff are misbehaving or unable to meet performance target, the bank can't sack them? They should keep paying incompetent and unproductive staff?

Rubbish
I trust the banks will fight this or it will just be another paper law that wouldn't be enforced.

Anyone who can't perform should be booted out.
If the bank can't pay you any longer, then it's better you're sacked than to keep you and be owing you salary for months while tarnishing their reputation.

In fact, the government civil service should be copying these banks. Every month, there should be Performance Review for in all government offices for all staff. Anyone unable to perform should be sanctioned and if he/she continues, should be booted out and more productive people employed.

No wonder they like government work, where they earn money without adding value, where they enter office by 10am, gist with their colleagues till 12pm while using their nonchalant attitude to frustrate the people their supposed to provide services to, then sleep till 2pm when they'll begin packing their bags to leave before 4pm. And at the end of the month, office will receive allocation and staff will receive salary for doing nothing. I've always said, the Nigerian Civil Service is the largest welfare scheme in this country, where free money is shared to unproductive people.

The person that wrote this thread is either a colossal fool or an unrepentant insensitive personae...

1 Like

Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by loganx: 9:24am On Feb 25, 2020
Whi is the minister of Labour in the country? That man no get sense at all.
This is clearly a labour issue...good thing CBN is picking it up, especially on the issue of contract staff. when you make so much as profit, it is not pardonable to use contract staff.
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by MarianaTrench: 9:43am On Feb 25, 2020
yuceela:

The person that wrote this thread is either a colossal fool or an unrepentant insensitive personae...

From where I'm standing you're the one who is a fool.

Attack the message not the messenger!
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by Worksunlimited: 9:47am On Feb 25, 2020
itsme01:
smiley

They would simply keep hiring disposable Temporary or Contract staffs... CBN did something proactive and must be commended .. but that Yeye man called Chris Ngige needs to wake up as a Minister of labor and restrict contract staff and employment probation period to only 6 months, after 6 months a Temporary Staff must get an actual contract of engagement

This is so true.. I worked over 1 year and a half before they started reasoning permanent stay.

After every, pay increase was meagre.

Nigeria is just a joke.

They should just sell it to a country more deserving.
Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by DexterousOne(m): 10:04am On Feb 25, 2020
Highesschief1:
You won't understand how terrible this thing is unless you have worked in a bank.. They recruit them very young and sap their youth.. No social life, all your skills die as you don't have the time to develop them or learn any new skill that will be useful to you later in life.
Then suddenly you get called by your supervisor and you are asked to resign for no reason.. They will ensure the resignation letter carries the right words making it sound like you are sooo happy to resign... Most supervisor that are task with doing the dirty job also get called to drop their resignation letter too... Nothing like loyalty in the banking sector..

Banking sector is not a place you stay for too long

1 Like

Re: CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval by Brodagovernor(m): 10:07am On Feb 25, 2020
Mysticwebb:
Exactly my thoughts. Nigerians will always find a way around the law. Just like tax evasion.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why You Should Join The Nigeria Police Today! / Kogi: Screening Committee Discovers Level 13 Medical Officer With School Cert / Another Nigerian Military Officer Distinguished Himself In Australia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.