Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,529 members, 7,826,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo (741 Views)

Malami: "I Deliberately Referred To Abacha Loot As "Abacha's Assets" / 2019: Attempt To Cede Kwara To The Yoruba Will Fail – Baraje / BREAKING: ‘Nigeria Is Back To Abacha Era’ — Obasanjo Hits Buhari Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo by References: 9:58am On Feb 25, 2020
In 2002, the administration of ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo signed an agreement ceding $100 million to the family of Sani Abacha in exchange for the return of $1 billion ill-gotten wealth traced to the late military dictator.

The deal, Obasanjo said at the time, was the “hardest decision” he had to make in his life.

That money, held in trust by Abubakar Bagudu, governor of Kebbi state, is what the federal government now wants to return him.

His company, Blue Companies, handled the investment portfolios linked to the Abachas.

With interest, the money has grown to $110 million since 2002 when the agreement was signed.

However, the US has been kicking against paying the money to Bagudu but the Buhari administration went ahead to sign a 2018 agreement with the governor to return the money to him, as reported by TheCable.

Abacha, who served as Nigeria’s head of state from 1993 to 1998, was said to have looted up to $5 billion during his regime.

Efforts to recover the funds had hit the rocks until Obasanjo signed a contract to allow the family of the late leader to have $100 million in return of the money stashed across Swiss banks.

“That (the contract) is one of the hardest decisions I have to make in my life,” Obasanjo was quoted as telling TELL Magazine.

“I know that the Abacha family hadn’t legitimately done any work to deserve US$ 100 million.”

Obasanjo was further quoted to have said he signed the deal because what Abacha’s lawyer wanted was for the case to linger “endlessly and they can do that almost forever.”

“Our lawyers came and said: Well you have a choice to make. We got to a situation where we can get about US$ 1.2 billion,” he had reportedly said.

“But should I go ahead to recover US$ 1.2 billion of Nigeria’s money or go to tell Nigerians that we are fighting this case and 25, 30 years from now you wouldn’t get anything.

“So I told the lawyer ‘let me think about it because it wasn’t an easy decision for me.”

Obasanjo, however, agreed the deal was a good one, when compared to similar cases across the world.

Just like the case of Bagudu, the deal also shielded the Abacha family from further litigation particularly those relating to the amount Nigeria was seeking to recover.
https://www.thecable.ng/flashback-obj-described-deal-on-giving-100m-to-recover-1bn-abacha-loot-as-hardest-decision-of-his-life

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo by ImDStar: 10:01am On Feb 25, 2020
Hmm
Re: Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo by Righteousness89(m): 10:03am On Feb 25, 2020
So in other words, Bagudu was a kind laundering machine for the Abachas..
Today He is the Governor of a Nigerian state..

Judgement day why are u delaying?

2 Likes

Re: Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo by Nobody: 10:06am On Feb 25, 2020
Ogun lakaaye lo ma pa gbogbo yin.

The Abacha family should be stoned at sight anywhere they go.
Re: Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo by ERockson: 10:13am On Feb 25, 2020
Abacha never stole. Accepting Abacha stole Nigeria money is an indictment on Buhari personality as the then PTF/Petroleum minister under corrupt Abacha regime. Logically, Buhari is also a Thief, If you don't know before, Know it today.

4 Likes

Re: Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo by muykem: 10:33am On Feb 25, 2020
OBJ actually signed the agreement.
Re: Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo by Maxymilliano(m): 10:35am On Feb 25, 2020
I won't be surprised if the PTF, headed by Buhari was part of the conduits used by Ababcha to provide funds for the Blue Companies, owned by Abubakar Bagudu, his partner in crime.

2 Likes

Re: Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo by JubrinElSudan: 10:36am On Feb 25, 2020
This regime was quick to renege on the deal GEJ struck with PIB but are quick to pay Bagudu for this one? #DoubleStandard
Re: Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo by PapaBaby: 11:32am On Feb 25, 2020
Bagudu should have been jailed for money laundered but no, they conveniently looked for loopholes. If Bagudu was sentenced, he would be fighting to be let free not fighting to get his greasy hands on our money.

1 Like

Re: Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo by aminusodiq(m): 12:03pm On Feb 25, 2020
Hh
Re: Flashback: To cede $100m to Abacha family, hardest decision of my life -Obasanjo by budaatum: 12:05pm On Feb 25, 2020
Where are all those wailing lazy fuqs to lay the blame on bubu without considering the facts?

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Former Emir Sanusi Sues IGP, DSS Boss Over Confinement / This Soldier Say He Will Rape Every Wari Woman And Give Them Hiv / Tanzania President Cancels 'killer Chinese Loan' Worth $10 Bn "Only For Drunks"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.