Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,622 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

Fifa Boss Sepp Blatter Apologises For Gay Comments - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fifa Boss Sepp Blatter Apologises For Gay Comments (545 Views)

Vincent Enyeama Loses Mother To Death, Apologises For Missing Tanzania Game / Matuidi Apologises For Tackle On Onazi / Osaze Apology: Why I Blasted Keshi, Nff, Osaze Reveals; Apologises For Outburst (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fifa Boss Sepp Blatter Apologises For Gay Comments by okpismart: 8:30am On Dec 18, 2010
Fifa president Sepp Blatter has apologised for saying gay fans should "refrain from sexual activity" if they go to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
Homosexuality is illegal in Qatar and Blatter's original comments provoked outrage among gay rights groups who said he should apologise or resign.
Blatter said: "It was not my intention and never will be my intention to go into any discrimination.
"If somebody feels hurt, then I regret [it] and present apologies."
Blatter sparked the controversy when, earlier this week, he apparently joked: "I'd say they [gay fans] should refrain from any sexual activities" if they go to the Gulf Nation for the 2022 tournament.
Then, speaking seriously, he said he was sure there would be no problems.
Fifa has come in for criticism after making the decision to take the World Cup to the Middle East for the first time.
Concerns were raised about hosting the tournament during the summer months in a country where temperatures can reach 40C to 50C and where current laws mean drinking alcohol in public is forbidden.
Gay groups are also worried about the acceptance of homosexual fans, and the Gay Football Supporters' Network (GFSN) say Blatter's original comments showed naivety about gay discrimination.
Former British basketball star John Amaechi, who is one of the world's most high-profile gay athletes, was also critical of Blatter's original comments, telling BBC Radio 5 live that it was the most childish response he could imagine.
However, Blatter, who is in Abu Dhabi for the Club World Cup, does not foresee any difficulties, saying: "You see in the Middle East the opening of this culture, it's another culture because it's another religion, but in football we have no boundaries.
"We open everything to everybody and I think there shall not be any discrimination against any human beings be it on this side or that side, be it left, right or whatever.
"If they want to watch a match somewhere in Qatar 2022, I'm sure they will be admitted to such matches."
Qatar was the surprise winner of the race to host the 2022 World Cup, beating Australia, Japan, South Korea and the United States when the 22-man Fifa executive committee voted in Zurich on 2 December.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9297497.stm
Re: Fifa Boss Sepp Blatter Apologises For Gay Comments by Phate07(m): 8:59am On Dec 18, 2010

Why is he apologising? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Manutd Sign Danish Stopper Anders Lindegaard / Let's Talk Soccer / In Need Of A Female Swimming Tutor To Teach Me Swimming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.