Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? (723 Views)

Senate Proposes Amendment To Immunity For Vice-Presidents, Governors And Others / Presiding Officers: We Transmitted Official Results Directly To INEC Server / Senate Shut Down As Security Agencies Lay Siege On Presiding Officers Homes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 7:59am On Feb 26, 2020
The principle of Separation of Powers provided for Checks and balances between the Executive, the Legislature and the Judiciary.

But ironically, while the heads of Executive are shielded from undue distraction while in office, the heads of the Legislature and the Judiciary are left porous to all manners of distraction, legally.

The case of Saraki comes to mind.

Now my stance is, even if there's no where else in the world where heads of legislature enjoy immunity, because of the brand of politics we play here, it is imperative that heads of legislature also enjoy immunity.

What this will do is that we will have stronger Legislature. If the Senate President or Speaker of any house, is not afraid of prosecution which is handled by the executive, such a person would be confident enough to ask vital questions and hold the executive responsible for excesses. Things like these are not obtainable in our current arrangement.

Before you oppose, remember you could one day become a presiding officer yourself and just imagine you weren't the choice of the Governor or President, you could be subjected to all manners of ridicule just Saraki went through.

Independent Legislature died when Saraki left office actually. The rubbers we have there today are not presiding officers.

So, what's your position on this, and your reasons for such position?

Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by helinues: 8:06am On Feb 26, 2020
Why should I?

Are they planning to commit crimes in the future cos me wondering why seeking for what will not be useful to them only if..
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 8:16am On Feb 26, 2020
helinues:
Why should I?

Are they planning to commit crimes in the future cos me wondering why seeking for what will not be useful to them only if..

Did you even read the post?
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by BlackfireX: 8:18am On Feb 26, 2020
Scrap the damn cow cash called NASS and Senate.
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by helinues: 8:20am On Feb 26, 2020
Awol1:

Did you even read the post?

Do you have comprehension problems?
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 8:24am On Feb 26, 2020
helinues:

Do you have comprehension problems?

Your question supposes that you read the post, and you still didn't know why or why not the immunity?

All you could think was crime?

The heads of executive enjoying immunity are criminals. That's what your pisition implies.
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by fergie001: 8:27am On Feb 26, 2020
Why should there be immunity for presiding officers?

So, if there was immunity.....Thief OUK will still sit there chief-whipping or what?

Even former SP Saraki was being prosecuted whilst on seat.
It's now the turn of the incorruptible set, and they want immunity.

The four who already enjoy immunity, we are even trying to see if the constitution will be amended and perhaps maybe two will have.

The sponsor and supporters of this bill must have gone loco
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 8:28am On Feb 26, 2020
BlackfireX:
Scrap the damn cow cash called NASS and Senate.

First of, the Senate is part of NASS, so what you said is tautological.

Again, do you understand the implications of scrapping a whole legislature?

You want unchallenged executive rascality?
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 8:31am On Feb 26, 2020
fergie001:
Why should there be immunity for presiding officer?

So, if there was immunity.....Thief OUK will still sit there for chief-whipping or what?

Even former SP Saraki was being prosecuted whilst on seat.
It's now the turn of the incorruptible set, and they want immunity.

The four who already enjoy immunity, we are even trying to see if the constitution will be amended and perhaps maybe two will have.

The sponsor and supporters of this bill must have gone loco

Isn't it stupid for anyone to think that the Senate Chief Whip will also enjoy immunity.

Immunity should be for the Senate president and his deputy.

Then speaker of houses and their deputy.

Commonsense should tell you that.
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by helinues: 8:34am On Feb 26, 2020
Awol1:

Your question supposes that you read the post, and you still didn't know why or why not the immunity?

All you could think was crime?

The heads of executive enjoying immunity are criminals. That's what your pisition implies.

Your headlines suggested you are seeking people's opinions about the topic..

Are you for or against is debatable.. it's wrong to use such lines when you already reached your conclusions.
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 8:36am On Feb 26, 2020
helinues:

Your headlines suggested you are seeking people's opinions about the topic..

Are you for or against is debatable.. it's wrong to use such lines when you already reached your conclusions.

I'm allowed to take a stand, am I not?
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by fergie001: 8:41am On Feb 26, 2020
Awol1:

Isn't it stupid for anyone to think that the Senate Chief Whip will also enjoy immunity.

Immunity should be for the Senate president and his deputy.

Then speaker of houses and their deputy.

Commonsense should tell you that.
We have three spheres of Government....Federal State Local

The Heads of executive...President and Vice has immunity
Deputy Gov and Gov has immunity (State)
These two already have.

Well, if we go by your commonsense analogy.....
LG Chairman should also have immunity (He is the head of the Local Government), afterall SC said their Mandate is untouchable, ask Makinde.

SP and HoR Speaker will also have immunity.
The Speakers of the State Houses of Assembly will also enjoy immunity, because it's a matter of time before they clamour for it.

The CJN should have immunity
The Heads of the HC and CoA should also enjoy immunity.

It's a matter of time before other officers of the NA ask for immunity.

Commonsensically, there is no sense in asking for immunity for presiding officers. That is the right way to go.

Left to me....Section 308 should be amended and immunity allowed, only for the PRESIDENT and GOVERNOR.
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Titto93(m): 8:48am On Feb 26, 2020
Hell NO... Even the president and Governors should be stripped of their immunity...

You can't be covering your impunity with immunity
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by helinues: 8:49am On Feb 26, 2020
Awol1:

I'm allowed to take a stand, am I not?

You are, you should have countered argument instead of questioning.

BTW, that was my opinions
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by slimfit1(m): 9:28am On Feb 26, 2020
We are not feeling the impact of the people that have immunity we all have to multi-task if you are not ready to face the challenges don't join the Parliament simple. You can't be stealing and when it's time to prosecute you are telling us it a distraction but you were not distracted when looting sorry we need to come out now we need falana now abeg.
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 10:27am On Feb 26, 2020
fergie001:

We have three spheres of Government....Federal State Local

The Heads of executive...President and Vice has immunity
Deputy Gov and Gov has immunity (State)
These two already have.

Well, if we go by your commonsense analogy.....
LG Chairman should also have immunity (He is the head of the Local Government), afterall SC said their Mandate is untouchable, ask Makinde.

SP and HoR Speaker will also have immunity.
The Speakers of the State Houses of Assembly will also enjoy immunity, because it's a matter of time before they clamour for it.

The CJN should have immunity
The Heads of the HC and CoA should also enjoy immunity.

It's a matter of time before other officers of the NA ask for immunity.

Commonsensically, there is no sense in asking for immunity for presiding officers. That is the right way to go.

Left to me....Section 308 should be amended and immunity allowed, only for the PRESIDENT and GOVERNOR.

It's apparent you followed Sunrise daily on Channels Television because the man there argued in this same line of thinking.

But this reasoning is shallow and uncritical, if not outrightly illogical.

Just like Death sentence is proposed for those convicted of kidnappings, you will now come and argue that there shouldn't be death penalty before every offence in the country will now be made to carry Death penalty.

It's a simple issue to understand here.

Of the three arms of government, heads of legislature are the only one left porous and vulnerable to undue distraction while in office.

The President and his deputy are immuned. Same with Governor and his deputy.

The judges are shielded by the NJC. Before you prosecute a judge, you will have to go through the NJC. Excuse Buhari's aberration in handling Onnoghen.

Now, only the heads of the Legislature are left out. How can the legislature be a strong institution then? How would you want the Senate president and Speaker of HoR to preside without watching their back.

As it stands now, I can even sue the Senate president. Should it be so?
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 10:32am On Feb 26, 2020
Titto93:
Hell NO... Even the president and Governors should be stripped of their immunity...

You can't be covering your impunity with immunity

Is he staying in office in perpetuity?

Would it be too late to prosecute him when he seizes to be a presiding officer?

For goodness sake, Jolly Nyame, Orji Kalu, etc, are paying for their sins while they enjoyed immunity. Now the immunity is gone, they faced the music.
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 26, 2020
slimfit1:
We are not feeling the impact of the people that have immunity we all have to multi-task if you are not ready to face the challenges don't join the Parliament simple. You can't be stealing and when it's time to prosecute you are telling us it a distraction but you were not distracted when looting sorry we need to come out now we need falana now abeg.

Jolly Nyame, Joshua Dariye and Orji Uzor Kalu, once had immunity.

But today they are in jail for the crime they committed whilst they enjoyed immunity.

Why can't that be same for presiding officers of the legislature?
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by gidgiddy: 10:36am On Feb 26, 2020
The only people who should have immunity is the President and his vice
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by 9jafunny: 10:38am On Feb 26, 2020
Against
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by fergie001: 10:41am On Feb 26, 2020
Awol1:

It's apparent you followed Sunrise daily on Channels Television because the man there argued in this same line of thinking.

But this reasoning is shallow and uncritical, if not outrightly illogical.

Just like Death sentence is proposed for those convicted of kidnappings, you will now come and argue that there shouldn't be death penalty before every offence in the country will now be made to carry Death penalty.

It's a simple issue to understand here.

Of the three arms of government, heads of legislature are the only one left porous and vulnerable to undue distraction while in office.

The President and his deputy are immuned. Same with Governor and his deputy.

The judges are shielded by the NJC. Before you prosecute a judge, you will have to go through the NJC. Excuse Buhari's aberration in handling Onnoghen.

Now, only the heads of the Legislature are left out. How can the legislature be a strong institution then? How would you want the Senate president and Speaker of HoR to preside without watching their back.

As it stands now, I can even sue the Senate president. Should it be so?
I cannot excuse Buhari's aberration because he has set a precedent others will follow.

Why didn't the argument against this aberration come to play then? The same NA cried out when this was happening and it continued.

This same Speaker and Senate President were Majority leaders in that House and tacitly encouraged the FG go carry on.

I didn't follow anything on anywhere, because we don't have power in my area, it's fact.

Were the judges protecting Onnoghen when he was taken to the CTC?

Were the judges protecting Onnoghen when he went to the CoA?

The argument will not sail....nothing illogical about it.
What about the heads of legislature at the State level or are their component State Chief Executive not enjoying immunity?

Jettison the idea. We cannot begin to amend our constitution which this administration have rebuffed severally with respect to other important things for the purpose of Section 308.

No, yesterday
No, today
No, tomorrow

This just came up on fp now.....
https://www.nairaland.com/5706722/sagay-ozekhome-falana-reject-immunity
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 10:46am On Feb 26, 2020
fergie001:

I cannot excuse Buhari's aberration because he has set a precedent others will follow.

Why didn't the argument against this aberration come to play then? The same NA cried out when this was happening and it continued.

This same Speaker and Senate President were Majority leaders in that House and tacitly encouraged the FG go carry on.

I didn't follow anything on anywhere, because we don't have power in my area, it's fact.

Were the judges protecting Onnoghen when he was taken to the CTC?

Were the judges protecting Onnoghen when he went to the CoA?

The argument will not sail....nothing illogical about it.
What about the heads of legislature at the State level or are their component State Chief Executive not enjoying immunity?

Jettison the idea. We cannot begin to amend our constitution which this administration have rebuffed severally with respect to other important things for the purpose of Section 308.

No, yesterday
No, today
No, tomorrow

The bill captures the state assemblies too.

A quick question, what's your suggestion on how to strengthen the Legislature as an institution and prevent them from being the rubbers they are today?
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by fergie001: 10:52am On Feb 26, 2020
Awol1:

The bill captures the state assemblies too.

A quick question, what's your suggestion on how to strengthen the Legislature as an institution and prevent them from being the rubbers they are today?

Immunity won't make them better, just like it isn't letting those who have it now, govern or lead well.

To your question;
That's more of a moral than political question.

Chief Executive all over the world wants a legislature (or subordinate) that is docile.

What happens in the NA is a reflection of what happens in Nigeria today.

It's pure party politics we can do nothing about, except have a vibrant opposition, an independent Judiciary and a common man that understands he wields the greatest power (especially, when it comes to public hearing).
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by helinues: 10:57am On Feb 26, 2020
gidgiddy:
The only people who should have immunity is the President and his vice

While Governors and it's deputy, Senate and its deputy should have just because of your hatred for Buhari and Osinbajo.

You are loosing it more bro .
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 11:06am On Feb 26, 2020
fergie001:

Immunity won't make them better, just like it isn't letting those who have it now, govern or lead well.

To your question;
That's more of a moral than political question.

Chief Executive all over the world wants a legislature (or subordinate) that is docile.

What happens in the NA is a reflection of what happens in Nigeria today.

It's pure party politics we can do nothing about, except have a vibrant opposition, an independent Judiciary and a common man that understands he wields the greatest power (especially, when it comes to public hearing).

Did I read where you said "we can do nothing about it"?

We can do something about it. And that's why the bill is necessary. The legislature cannot continue to be an appendage of the executive.
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by fergie001: 11:20am On Feb 26, 2020
Awol1:

Did I read where you said "we can do nothing about it"?

We can do something about it. And that's why the bill is necessary. The legislature cannot continue to be an appendage of the executive.
Hahahahahahaha.......

So you expect a bill for immunity for lawan and gbajabiamila will not make them rubber-stamps?

My God!

Please refrain from saying this kind of thing...

Does immunity stop impeachment?

I beg you.....I never used the word " appendage"..that's your own grammar.
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by slimfit1(m): 11:25am On Feb 26, 2020
Awol1:

Jolly Nyame, Joshua Dariye and Orji Uzor Kalu, once had immunity.

But today they are in jail for the crime they committed whilst they enjoyed immunity.

Why can't that be same for presiding officers of the legislature?

You can't be a lawmaker if you are thinking of immunity. What exactly have these people done to improve our lives where are the laws? All we see are people sleeping and wives exhibition.

1 Like

Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 26, 2020
slimfit1:

You can't be a lawmaker if you are thinking of immunity.

Not for all lawmakers dude.

Just the providing officers.

You have issues with comprehension?
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by slimfit1(m): 11:37am On Feb 26, 2020
Awol1:

You have issues with comprehension?

Nobody should be immune from anything we should be looking at how governors and President immunity should be scrapped.
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by slimfit1(m): 11:42am On Feb 26, 2020
Awol1:

Do you have issues with comprehension?

I noticed that's all your arguments comes with 'comprehension' where is your own opinion here. We know that you are paid to defend their morally corrupt laws, please do not quote me if you don't have a reasonable answer.
If you are narrow-minded I'm not. The Chinese are not buying our oil because of Coronavirus people are moving away from oil, it cost us more to get the money back. Abacha's stolen money who kept the interests?
If you can not find a problem here you never find anything with all your comprehension Mr woman.
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by orisa37: 11:47am On Feb 26, 2020
I am against immunity now until they sit down to grant full Autonomy of Police, Resources and Elections Control to our 36 Constitutional States.

MAFH IS BH IS FH IS TRT AND IS MBco.

MAFH IS ALSO FULANIS AND ARABS WITHOUT SCRUPLES.
Re: Are You For Or Against Immunity For NASS And State Assembly Presiding Officers? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 26, 2020
slimfit1:

Nobody should be immune from anything we should be looking at how governors and President immunity should be scrapped.

So that opposition political parties can mess him up at the slightest of excuse?

Do you guys even consider the broader implications of what you are asking for or you just join the bandwagon?

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: Makinde Wears Amotekun Outfit To Sign Bill / REMINDER: 10 Times Buhari, His Ministers Were “not Aware” Of Obvious Happenings / Boris Johnson Tested Positive For Corona Virus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.