Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,536 members, 7,812,666 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria (1035 Views)

How Likely Is War In Niger Republic If Senate Approval Is Needed? / Acting IG Egbetokun Due To Retire In 2024 / "Retire In 2019, Nigeria Needs A Healthy President" - Afenifere Urges Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:13pm On Feb 27, 2020
Diasporans, how likely are you to semi-retire or retire in Nigeria after your sojourn abroad and especially after you complete your mission or children leave home etc.

Let me know your thoughts, ideas, plans. Please base you response on the assumptions below (even if you think they are unlikely to ever happen)

Assumptions ;

Security has improved but not yet perfect
Buhari is now out of office and we have a visionary leader
Boko Haram has been defeated or weakened badly
Economy is picking up
Healthcare is better and affordable

So, here is me, I am based on the UK and plan to semi retire first and then retire when the bones become too weak. You know that old bones don’t like cold weather, and aging minds don’t like loneliness. It’s a yes for me assuming the assumptions above come true. It will be a phased approach.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:35pm On Feb 27, 2020
Na wah oo, is this how much you hate your country and love the white man's country ?? Not even one confirmation shocked cheesy
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Sunofgod(m): 9:38pm On Feb 27, 2020
Your on your own..... grin

Better you go and find a well heated care home in the UK,

You'll last longer!

1 Like

Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:46pm On Feb 27, 2020
Sunofgod:
Your on your own..... grin

Better you go and find a well heated care home in the UK,

You'll last longer!

Lol , you and who grin God forbid....

Pal, I will be home before you know it.
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Lawgod247: 10:04pm On Feb 27, 2020
ok
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by GoldCircle: 10:05pm On Feb 27, 2020
My brother, home is where the heart is. Anywhere you find peace of mind especially with your loved ones around you is home. Weigh your options well because as you lay your bed, so you will lie on it.

Abi na person wey no build house during his active years for Naija go come retire back home to live with his umunna?

Just sha ensure you hustle well during your active years so you can ball well when you are old. Na money be fine bobo! You can actually have the best of both worlds if you get what I mean.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by aribs(m): 12:26am On Feb 28, 2020
Depends on opportunities and prospects available in Nigeria and in the diaspora. I dont envisage retiring in the actual sense of it e.g staying at home going crazy...there might be a slowing down or a new venture but I envisage being active at some level for a long long time and that may mean living in multiple locations
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by tsdarkside(m): 12:30am On Feb 28, 2020
am movin to asia....

asians like blacks well well....
just have money and you will be okay....
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by kayroc: 1:42am On Feb 28, 2020
Before long Rwanda, Tanzania and Botswana will become retirement destinations for Africans in Diaspora. They are quietly making moves. US people that are collecting social security payment monthly will just park somewhere in those countries and be collecting $1600 monthly for life.

Or if you want to flex more opt for Thailand or Cambodia.
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:21am On Feb 28, 2020
@OP

Many have done and are doing what you plan. If you have easy travel worldwide , perhaps through holding a British passport, then moving to Nigeria becomes much easier as you have options if the move does not work out or is not as fulfilling as you imagined it would be. Have 'safety nets' and give yourself time to study Nigeria, over many visits, before you take the plunge.

1 Like

Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Optional09: 5:16am On Feb 28, 2020
kayroc:
Before long Rwanda, Tanzania and Botswana will become retirement destinations for Africans in Diaspora. They are quietly making moves. US people that are collecting social security payment monthly will just park somewhere in those countries and be collecting $1600 monthly for life.

Or if you want to flex more opt for Thailand or Cambodia.
You hat it, with additional one rental property in the US you will perfectly be cool in Botwana
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by softset: 6:38am On Feb 28, 2020
Moved back
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by sultaan(m): 6:46am On Feb 28, 2020
frosbel2:
Diasporans, how likely are you to semi-retire or retire in Nigeria after your sojourn abroad and especially after you complete your mission or children leave home etc.

Let me know your thoughts, ideas, plans. Please base you response on the assumptions below (even if you think they are unlikely to ever happen)

Assumptions ;

Economy is picking up

So, here is me, I am based on the UK and plan to semi retire first and then retire when the bones become too weak. You know that old bones don’t like cold weather, and aging minds don’t like loneliness. It’s a yes for me assuming the assumptions above come true. It will be a phased approach.

When has Nigeria ever been better that the last government.

If I was to place my bet on Nigeria, things will get worse because there will be no oil money so I will probably move to Benin or Togo.

1 Like

Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Okoroawusa: 7:10am On Feb 28, 2020
frosbel2:

Assumptions ;

Economy is picking up

So Buhari is your problem?

My friend if you don't have what to say you close this thread.

London gbukwagi there
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:50am On Feb 28, 2020
sultaan:

When has Nigeria ever been better that the last government.

If I was to place my bet on Nigeria, things will get worse because there will be no oil money so I will probably move to Benin or Togo.

If you have compromised and lived amongst 'strangers' in the diaspora during your strong years, for economic reason, is it in your elderly years you want to carry on that practice? You will be an elder in Benin or Togo without family and going to Benin people Parties, witnessing culture you don't understand and can't feel part of while listening to language you don't use because of your pessimism about Nigeria? Good luck bro.

With all its problem, Nigeria always feels like home every time I visit. For me, if income is right, nowhere beats Nigeria for retirement if we are talking of a Nigerian who was vested in the culture before going abroad and still has friends and family there. If it suits you, you can even get into Nigerian politics as many diasporan returnees have done very successfully. Things like that you cannot do in Benin and Togo. Having being a 'host' of others in my youth as a diasporan I can't do same in retirement as an older person or put up with second class status I rose above while earning to raise kids as a young family man. Like Yorubas say " Ile ni abo simi oko" home is the resting place after toiling in the farm.
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by SciLab: 9:54am On Feb 28, 2020
My uncle was about to retire in Nigeria after 32 years as a Pharmacist in the US, daily news of kidnappings across the country cut that dream short.

The country is hopeless. It should divide into manageable parts. Let everyone go and take care of their region and people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by helinues: 10:06am On Feb 28, 2020
No place like home... Both semi retired and retired proper must be in Nigeria by God's grace..
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:32am On Feb 28, 2020
helinues:
No place like home... Both semi retired and retired proper must be in Nigeria by God's grace..

Indeed.
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:08am On Feb 28, 2020
Okoroawusa:

So Buhari is your problem?

My friend if you don't have what to say you close this thread.

London gbukwagi there

One of the problems

2 Likes

Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:09am On Feb 28, 2020
Oshigun:

If you have compromised and lived amongst 'strangers' in the diaspora during your strong years, for economic reason, is it in your elderly years you want to carry on that practice? You will be an elder in Benin or Togo without family and going to Benin people Parties, witnessing culture you don't understand and can't feel part of while listening to language you don't use because of your pessimism about Nigeria? Good luck bro.

With all its problem, Nigeria always feels like home every time I visit. For me, if income is right, nowhere beats Nigeria for retirement if we are talking of a Nigerian who was vested in the culture before going abroad and still has friends and family there. If it suits you, you can even get into Nigerian politics as many diasporan returnees have done very successfully. Things like that you cannot do in Benin and Togo. Having being a 'host' of others in my youth as a diasporan I can't do same in retirement as an older person or put up with second class status I rose above while earning to raise kids as a young family man. Like Yorubas say " Ile ni abo simi oko" home is the resting place after toiling in the farm.

Best comment so far !

I have uncles and aunties in the UK who 'suffered' from loneliness after the children left home even though the children did visit almost every week. Secondly there is a difference between the loneliness in the WEST particularly and Africa/Nigeria in general. I personally plan to go into consultancy or free lance in the future , and spend half of my time in Nigeria and the other half in the UK. Obviously by Gods grace and good health permitting.
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by eejo(m): 11:44am On Feb 28, 2020
I will only come back to Nigeria if things improve after my retirement.

2 Likes

Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by sultaan(m): 6:43pm On Feb 28, 2020
Oshigun:

Benin and Togo do speak Yoruba without all the unfortunate tendencies of Nigeria and they are less expensive to live in. It is a global village now and some societies are more home to retirees than others.
How many returned from abroad with no pending criminal case do you see in politics.
Politics is just a trade for crooks to retire to in Nigeria which is why we are still behind

1 Like

Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by manuelreports: 6:52pm On Feb 28, 2020
Ok
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by EagleNest(m): 7:30am On Feb 29, 2020
Never run away from your father land! Those foreign places we talk about were developed by human beings and not spirits. We have collectively refused to do the right things but hoped that somehow Nigeria will reset itself. But how? If nobody fights for it! And that's why our house(Nigeria) is desolate and in ruin, being run by greedy and wicked peeps! #bringbackourdiasporians grin

1 Like

Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:44pm On Mar 19, 2020
Have you guys changed your mind ?

With the coronavirus devastating Europe and the West in general don’t you think it won’t be long before you start thinking about plan b in Nigeria ?

This pandemic may collapse the western economy and case anarchy in a worse case scenario. What would you do then ?
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:11pm On Mar 21, 2020
Will Coronavirus make you start planning for Nigeria at least in the next 5 years
Re: Diasporans, How Likely Are You to Semi-Retire Or Retire In Nigeria by Resees: 5:16pm On Jun 07, 2020
frosbel2:
Will Coronavirus make you start planning for Nigeria at least in the next 5 years
I am working on a 10 years plan to retire back to Naija if it still exist by then i will be 44yo then and actually want to go into farming once i hit that age..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Twitter: President Of Nigeria Vs President Of Chad / Dad Slapping His Son For Obtaining Distinction In Music While Failing Others / BREAKING: Former NYSC DG, Gen. Edet Akpan is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.