Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun (22678 Views)

Why Courts Imposed Millions Against Babalola, Olanipekun, Ozekhome, Keyamo / Bayelsa: Afe Babalola, Olanipekun Protest Supreme Court’s ₦60 Million Penalty / Supreme Court Fines Afe Babalola, Olanipekun N60 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by hisexcellency34: 6:47am On Feb 28, 2020
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Lagos – Professor Itse Sagay SAN, Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) on Thursday said Chief Afe Babalola (SAN) and Wole Olanipekun (SAN) do not deserve the fined imposed on them by the Supreme Court for seeking a review of the Bayelsa governorship election judgment.

It will be recalled that the Supreme Court had on Wednesday fined lawyers representing David Lyon and the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the application for review of the apex court’s judgement on Bayelsa election.

While Afe Babalola represented Lyon, Wole Olanipekun represented the APC.

The Supreme court justices ruled that each of the lawyers must pay N10 million to each of the three respondents – the Peoples Democratic Party, Governor Duoye Diri, and the Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State, Lawrence Ewhruojakpo, bringing the total amount to be paid to N60 million.

However, speaking with Daily Independent, Sagay said while he supports the principle that lawyers filing frivolous appeals should be fined, Babalola and Olanipekun do not fall into that category as the appeal they filed was meritorious.

“On principle, I think any lawyer filing frivolous appeals should be fined but in this particular case, these are senior lawyers filing serious and deserving case. What they applied for was very meritorious”.

”They may not have applied on the same grounds as myself because they are talking about fair hearing; I am not interested in that. I am interested in the fact that the Supreme Court imposed itself on the people of Bayelsa state; they removed the electorates and became the voter. That is my main concern”.

There is a valid ground for seeking the review. What the Supreme Court did on Wednesday is what it should have kept for the lawyers of PDP who are coming for all sorts of ridiculous things such as review of the 2019 presidential election, Osun, Kano, Ekiti and others. Those are the people the Supreme Court should have imposed fine on for frivolous appeals but unfortunately, they applied that good principle on the wrong people”.

“The application filed by Afe Babalola and Wole Olanipekun were meritorious. The decision by the Supreme Court in Bayelsa was outrageous, atrocious and perverse. But the Supreme Court will not want to admit that so they imposed a fine on those two respected senior lawyers who were doing the right thing”.

“So, I believe lawyers bringing frivolous appeals should be fined but this particular one was applied to the wrong lawyers” he said.

https://www.independent.ng/afe-babalola-olanipekun-dont-deserve-supreme-court-fine-sagay/

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Lawgod247: 6:53am On Feb 28, 2020
It is sad to see a man whose legal texts ruled my stay in the university as an undergraduate sound so partisan on everything, even on basic principles of law. In your wisdom, the apex court did noble in Imo by turning 4 to 1 but "foisted/impossed" itself on the people of Bayelsa. When you keep shifting the goal post to serve your interest, you risk scoring own goals. Anyways, For CAC Company or Business Name registration, Foundation, Schools, Church, NGO, Trademark, TIN, SCUML, NAFDAC number etc, talk to us at www. Lawlab. Com. ng. Now I am afraid that you may have fed me with a lot of BS in your texts, I hope not, because I deem you cerebral.

109 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by RentedReality(m): 6:54am On Feb 28, 2020
It seems Prof might be speaking from both sides

On one hand he says Chief Afe Babalola (SAN) and Wole Olanipekun (SAN) who are seeking a review of the Bayelsa governorship election judgment, should not be fined

On the other hand, he is saying that other lawyers filing frivolous reviews for the 2019 Presidential election, should be fined

My question to Prof is, how did you arrive at the meritocracy level of each appeal? How does a review of Bayelsa elections take precedence of a review of the presidential election?

75 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Joshmodest(m): 6:57am On Feb 28, 2020
the business of law is so lawless and dirty that the the lawyers most times go against the law , and even the professional appear to lack experience like in this case all in a bid to please their clients ....go see the movie suits and you'll understand better.

6 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by NextD18: 6:57am On Feb 28, 2020
Lawyers in Nigeria are more dangerous and corrupt than the Nigerian police.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Mysticwebb: 7:00am On Feb 28, 2020
Even this Sagay of man needs to be fined. He stylishly avoided the Imo State appeal while mentioning the PDP appeals. He pretended to have forgotten that the appeals he mentioned were verbally done by PDP following the APC action concerning Bayelsa ruling. That fine was very necessary to put the needless appeal to a stop.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Nobody: 7:03am On Feb 28, 2020
” They may not have applied on the same grounds as myself because they are talking about fair hearing ; I am not interested in that. I am interested in the fact that the Supreme Court imposed itself on the people of Bayelsa state; they removed the electorates and became the voter. That is my main concern”.- Sagay

Okay, Oga Sagay, no one is stopping you. Please file your own case. I trust Justice Amina Augie to reply you appropriately.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by mushystuff: 7:14am On Feb 28, 2020
Ntoor! Sagay is still calling the rubbish Bayelsa review meritorious when the Supreme court has said it is not!
They will soon give him his own fine to pay for contempt outside the face of the court.

31 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by NaijaDonCast(m): 7:32am On Feb 28, 2020
Sagay post supreme court wailing on fine accumulated by two senior SAN

6 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 28, 2020
dementia is approaching this man gradually

9 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by fergie001: 7:46am On Feb 28, 2020
Amitez:
” They may not have applied on the same grounds as myself because they are talking about fair hearing ; I am not interested in that. I am interested in the fact that the Supreme Court imposed itself on the people of Bayelsa state; they removed the electorates and became the voter. That is my main concern”.- Sagay

Okay, Oga Sagay, no one is stopping you. Please file your own case. I trust Justice Amina Augie to reply you appropriately.
Hahahahahahaha hahaha..........

Senior lawyers who aren't doing the right thing whilst they should be the ones mentoring the young ones on the proper thing.

4 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by donpapa(m): 7:47am On Feb 28, 2020
Sagay again?
Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Randy100: 7:51am On Feb 28, 2020
Sagay is back to his stupidity.

9 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Hoephase: 8:01am On Feb 28, 2020
The thing pain Prof ooh.

Sagay is it you 60 billion grin

4 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Lorenzop: 8:09am On Feb 28, 2020
Pained old foool undecided

3 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by YorubaKinging: 8:10am On Feb 28, 2020
Lagosians I pray for you o
Pls sleep with one eyes opened
Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by ursullalinda(f): 8:11am On Feb 28, 2020
You can form your own panel of judges and pass your own judgement......Abeg you people should stop disturbing the public peace with Bayelsa judgement ......when Imo people were screaming everyone turned deaf.......some even said supreme court is final.....Now is Bayelsa they want a review by fire by force......Smh

4 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Yankiss(m): 8:12am On Feb 28, 2020
This Sagay is something else. He is indirectly attacking the judiciary.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by OakConsultNG: 8:12am On Feb 28, 2020
Interesting..

Obtain your TIN. Register your Business, Church and Company with the CAC at discounted prices. Check our signature and page for more details.

Offer lasts for a limited period only.
Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Nobody: 8:12am On Feb 28, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

https://www.independent.ng/afe-babalola-olanipekun-dont-deserve-supreme-court-fine-sagay/
Pls when will supreme Court fine sagay for indiscriminate sai babarism?

Cc lzaa gmbuharii helinues tsdarkside blackking98 ChoCho54

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by chinaze4real(m): 8:13am On Feb 28, 2020
Sagay.... is one of the fool we have in Nigeria.... respect to you prof... you are the epitome of foolishness

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Righteousness89(m): 8:13am On Feb 28, 2020
Oga sagay u are Confused sir!

3 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by money121(m): 8:13am On Feb 28, 2020
Ok
Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Billygee2u: 8:13am On Feb 28, 2020
Lostz:
dementia is approaching this man gradually

The reward of injustices this man and his gangs are supporting in Nigeria will never elude them and their generations.
Heartless idi0ts

4 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by SoNature(m): 8:13am On Feb 28, 2020
RentedReality:
It seems Prof might be speaking from both sides

On one hand he says Chief Afe Babalola (SAN) and Wole Olanipekun (SAN) who are seeking a review of the Bayelsa governorship election judgment, should not be fined

On the other hand, he is saying that other lawyers filing frivolous reviews for the 2019 Presidential election, should be fined

My question to Prof is, how did you arrive at the meritocracy level of each appeal? How does a review of Bayelsa elections take precedence of a review of the presidential election?

The man na Prof wey mumu na

I am actually surprised you didn't know that

7 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by joyandfaith: 8:14am On Feb 28, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

you can apply for review of supreme court fines. loudspeaker

3 Likes

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by hisexcellency34: 8:15am On Feb 28, 2020
Why did you add helinues to the list??

immhotep:

Pls when will supreme Court fine sagay for indiscriminate sai babarism?

Cc lzaa gmbuharii helinues tsdarkside blackking98

1 Like

Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Groovenaija360(m): 8:15am On Feb 28, 2020
grin
Re: Sagay: PDP Lawyers Deserve Supreme Court Fine, Not Afe Babalola, Olanipekun by Zico5(m): 8:15am On Feb 28, 2020
U can tell that to ur lordship Buhari

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fuel Subsidy Will Not Return, FG Assures IMF / Man Attempts To Burn Justice Oputa, Charly Boy’s Father’s House In Imo / Things Are Very Hard In Nigeria – Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.