Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,898 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months (22149 Views)

Akeredolu Urges Chicken Consumption As Southwest Spends ₦2.5bn On Beef Daily / Ikpeazu's Office Spends ₦2.2 Billion On Welfare, ₦1.4bn On Vehicles In A Year / Umahi Visits Mining Site Where Vehicle Plunged Inside, Spends 2 Hours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by Islie: 7:00am On Mar 01, 2020
• Speaker, Principal Officers’ Cars Cost N51.8m Each

• I Am Not Aware, Says Assembly Spokesman

About N2.4b has been spent within 11 months to procure 80 cars for the 40 members of the Lagos State House of Assembly. Information available to The Guardian revealed that sometimes last year, a contract was awarded for 40 cars to be purchased for the lawmakers. And less than a year after, another contract was awarded for the purchase of cars for the Assembly members in December and January.

In the document, there was disparity between the cars for principal officers and floor members. While the principal officers got Toyota Land Cruisers, the floor members got Toyota Prado.

It was also learnt that the vehicles for the six principal officers cost N51.8m each, while those for the 36 members cost N36.5m each.The Guardian also gathered that the new set of cars for the lawmakers is coming less than a year after a contract was awarded for the supply of 40 vehicles for official duties that cost N18.8m each.

The contract document showed that the first 40 cars delivered sometimes last year were valued at N752, 905, 775, while the second batch of cars was awarded in two phases. While the contract for floor members’ cars was awarded in December, the one for the principal officers was done in January.

Also, while the six cars for the principal officers were valued at N311, 123,595,50, those for the 36 floor members were delivered at N1.3bn. It was gathered that the same company was awarded the three contracts. Interestingly, of the present 40 members of the Lagos State Assembly, 30 are returning lawmakers, with just 10 being new representatives.

The Lagos Assembly House Committee Chairman on Information, Tunde Braimoh claimed he was not aware any car was bought last year. He said: “You may want to ask why government is providing functionaries of Assembly with vehicles. The vehicles are for government; registered in government’s name. They are not personal property of the Assemblymen.

“If the user stays to the end of his term, he could be offered to buy the vehicle, and it will be at competitive rate. For example, the one I was using before now, I bought it for about N4.5m, which might not be up to that, if I were to buy it at a car mart. So, it is not to say people are being given these things for free. When people come into government, they are assisted with equipment to do their job.”

“These are mundane issues, aimed at distracting us. What we should be interested in is, to whom much is given, much is expected. Mind you, if these people were not given this equipment, they would be given transport allowances. So, it depends on the policy government is adopting.”

When furnished with the amount spent on the 40 cars early last year and December and January, he said: “You may have the information I do not have. But honestly, I would have wished as a Nigerian, as somebody interested in Project Nigeria, that we should not distract ourselves with mundane issues. I do not think that government would buy cars last year and buy another set this year.

“You should have probed further whether those vehicles bought with taxpayers’ money were registered in any person’s name. If that is what you are talking about, I am aware that the Assembly bought vehicles last year for the committees’ use. Many vehicles were bought, as the vehicles they were using had become old.

“I would wish as Nigerians that we set our eyes on important things, and not start thinking that someone will do all the work without getting any perk. The Constitution does not allow us to do any other job; it is full time…”However, some sources in the Assembly told The Guardian that Braimoh was being economical with the truth, as lawmakers were given cars early last year.
https://m.guardian.ng/news/lagos-assembly-spends-n2-4b-on-80-cars-in-11-mont

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by GamalNasser: 7:12am On Mar 01, 2020
Black man and frivolity .. I have never heard the the British parliament talk about buying cars for parliamentarians since I was born yet UK is a very rich country

174 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by Nobody: 9:18am On Mar 01, 2020
The overdrive on tax in Lagos is getting worrisome, you dont even see work done accordingly, but taxes are springing up everywhere...

Developed countries give you reason for taxes paid.

104 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by PureGoldh(m): 10:27am On Mar 01, 2020
Issoryt....Las Las na our money (Taxes) Dem dey live large on...in dx country,the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer undecided

17 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by Rapmoney(m): 11:49am On Mar 01, 2020
According to Tunde Braimoh, being interested in how tax payers money is spent amounts to focusing on 'mundane' things. Just imagine the idiot!

Folks who focus on Rivers and Bayelsa, leaving their beloved Lagos to be ripped left, right and centre, I hope you are following?

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by Perfecttouchade: 11:50am On Mar 01, 2020
When there is no quality education, standard health centres , good electricity and infrastructure.. but they can spend this huge amount on cars...Jesus shey problem never dey dis country so? Check out our Aluminium fabrication services..081::53"6656..59Na business centre our leaders take our money dey do, what kind of stealing and looting is this...

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by blinking001(m): 11:50am On Mar 01, 2020
Our Nigerian politicians are too corrupt. And if our darling president starts using the EFCC after them now wailers will be screaming witch hunt.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by bkool7(m): 11:51am On Mar 01, 2020
That's why the State Assembly couldn't speak against the ban on Keke and Okada.
Those ppl have been bribed and we the people did nothing.
They took away commonman's source of livelihood and means of transportation and gave us no option but to go and die And we acted as if nothing was taken from us.

A mega city with no
Constant power
Metro line
Good roads
Citizens provide their security
No public water system
No good schools

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by Bruemath(m): 11:51am On Mar 01, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by Patrioticman007(m): 11:51am On Mar 01, 2020
GamalNasser:
Black man and frivolity .. I have never heard the the British parliament talk about buying cars for parliamentarians since I was born yet UK is a very rich country

That's how we roll in black nations, with black leadership skills. I bet the cars are in black colors & 90% of the members have black faces while 100% have black hearts.

84 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by goshen26: 11:51am On Mar 01, 2020
Hmmmm

Little wonder why they didn't say anything with partial come back of okada and keke, they have receive alert.

I board a keke and there was increase in price, I asked the driver why? He said dont I know that after their boss went to bribe those at the top he has to get back his money by increase their Park few from 1400 to1600

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by Butoneday2(m): 11:51am On Mar 01, 2020
Stewpi.d and foolish people.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by coolcharm(m): 11:51am On Mar 01, 2020
That spokesman is a marlian!
Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by francisbarrack(m): 11:51am On Mar 01, 2020
Esseite:
The overdrive on tax in Lagos is getting worrisome, you dont even see work done but taxes are springing up everywhere...

Developed countries give you reason for taxes paid.

These people lack foresight.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by davss02(m): 11:51am On Mar 01, 2020
Blacks grin
Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by Idontgiveafuck2: 11:52am On Mar 01, 2020
SHAME ON US FOR ALLOWING THESE FOOLS BE DOING ANYHOW.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by SpecialAdviser(m): 11:52am On Mar 01, 2020
Something need to be done about Lagos. I was shocked when I visited last week to discover that only federal road projects are being attended to.

Most inner roads are like traps.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by 24krests: 11:52am On Mar 01, 2020
T
Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by bergs2: 11:52am On Mar 01, 2020
Las las Lagos na sc*m

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by NaijadrivaCars: 11:52am On Mar 01, 2020
And fools still defend these politicians.

Make we go joor, na wetin fit them.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by Firstorderwizard(m): 11:53am On Mar 01, 2020
Let me reserve my comment till I meet the angel that brought me here

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by NaijaRoyalty(m): 11:53am On Mar 01, 2020
Money meant for lagosians

Ok

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by qualityovenbake(m): 11:53am On Mar 01, 2020
Political position in Nigeria is just to enrich oneself and his family.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by sodiqapril(m): 11:54am On Mar 01, 2020
I've come to the conclusion that the leaders of a country are a true reflection of what we are as citizens....we worship money too much in this country not to have these rogues as leaders...the people complaining about mismanagement of funds will still end up insulting them as poor if by the end of their tenure they are unable to amass wealth

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by Kindness218: 11:54am On Mar 01, 2020
pictures please
Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by helinues: 11:54am On Mar 01, 2020
And no pinshures of the cars...
Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by Reference(m): 11:54am On Mar 01, 2020
Not my business. I am not a Lagos taxpayer.
Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by AreaFada2: 11:55am On Mar 01, 2020
Some people will still justify this for party political and tribal reasons.

They will insult anyone not from or who they think is not from SW. grin grin cheesy cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Spends ₦2.4 Billion On 80 Cars In 11 Months by Edams224(m): 11:55am On Mar 01, 2020
This is the country we live in. Money that should have been used for the betterment of the life of lagosians

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Edo: Kabaka-led Youths Besiege APC Secretariat, Back Idahosa / Cynthia's BlackBerry Found With Port Harcourt-based Businessman / Crude Oil Hits $50 Per Barrel. Nigeria not Benefitting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.