Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,150 members, 7,953,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:42 PM

Tests And Temptations - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tests And Temptations (288 Views)

Sexual Temptations And The Movie Industry / The Usefulness And Importance Of Trials And Temptations / The Mystery Behind Sexual Temptations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tests And Temptations by tonymyke4life(m): 11:42am On Mar 01, 2020
So I went to church today and the Rev Father in his sermon said that Tests comes from God while Temptations comes from the Devil. I was a little confused, so since there is no avenue to ask questions during mass I decided to bring it here so I can gain more knowledge.

What is the difference between Tests and Temptations? Are they the same? Does failing a test lead to sin or falling into temptation.

Bible scholars, pls help out. Your contributions are needed to clarify my doubt. Bible quotations would be great too to back up explanations.

Please, kindly let this get to the front page for more contributions. Thanks
Re: Tests And Temptations by Eviana(f): 12:22pm On Mar 07, 2020
Hi,
If you don't mind, I cut out the first part of your question and will post it here

What is the difference between Tests and Temptations? Are they the same?

Also, let me say that I am not a Bible scholar.
However, I think your question(s) are very important and need to be tackled on this rather complicated subject.
Will try to answer in two posts.
Any other Christians who have sound, Biblical additional info are free to post as well.

The pastor, per se, is not completely wrong in saying that "tests" come from God and "temptations" from the enemy.
If you look at the first chapter in the Book of James, more clarification about "temptation" is given.

James 1:12,13 (KJV)

[i]12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

From that scripture, one can know that it isn't God who tempts one to do evil.
So that leaves (2) other options on who tempts.

Genesis 3: 1-6, 13 (KJV)

3 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:

3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat
[/i]
13 And the Lord God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

The enemy (in the form of a serpent) deceived & tempted Eve... (which she yielded to).

James 1: 14, 15 (KJV)

14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death

We, humans, have an affinity to yield to temptation based on the "lust of our flesh"...

1 John 2:16 (KJV)

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

So the "lustful" desires of anything is a result of being born into a fallen world with fallen natures.
We are not talking about something trivial as in a person on a diet of "0" sugar, but then sees and then eats a cookie or a slice of cake.
Although that is a "temptation" of sorts, it is not a temptation that brings forth evil/sin.

WHAT IS A TEST?

A test is designed to strengthen one's faith in God and comes from God. Oftentimes, illustrations or parallels are drawn through the experiences.
The tests may appear opposite of what we may expect, but that is where a relationship with Christ comes in. You have to know it is His spirit speaking to you.

Examples:

Abraham offering Isaac (Gen 22:1-19)
Job's huge trial of faith (Book of Job)
Hosea marrying Gomer (Book of Hosea)

This second part of your question coming later.

Does failing a test lead to sin or falling into temptation?
Re: Tests And Temptations by Eviana(f): 10:45pm On Mar 20, 2020
PART 2

Answer to the second part of your question as promised.

Does failing a test lead to sin or falling into temptation?

I think that people sometimes use the words "testing" and "temptation" interchangeably.
I do not know that they really work that way in most cases.

As I previously stated and provided scriptural evidence, God cannot "tempt".

So if He cannot tempt, then either it's the enemy or our own lusting through human flesh.
Scriptural evidence in my previous post.

Temptation

1 : the act of tempting or the state of being tempted especially to evil : enticement

2 : something tempting : a cause or occasion of enticement

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/temptation

Temptation does not necessarily have to be an evil thing.

Ex. A woman is dieting and has completely cut out artificial sugar from her diet.
She, one day, sees a brownie at the bakery part of the store, stares at it and decides to purchase it. She eats it.
She was tempted...although the brownie is a lifeless object. She could have continued walking past it, but she didn't.
That was the lust of her own flesh.
HOWEVER, was her eating a sugary treat evil?
No..
Did it really affect anyone else other than herself?
No

However, yielding to the temptation in the Garden of Eden did affect everyone...even until today.
Eve was tempted by the serpent and she yielded.
That was a deadly, tragic and sinful mistake.

God tested Job (see previous post for scriptural reference) and Job didn't even know he was being tested. It was really to show satan that there were some faithful servants of God who would serve Him regardless of the circumstance. God knew Job would be faithful...
Job passed the test abundantly.
But had Job "failed" the test, I do not know what the results would have been.

One more example: Peter's denial of Christ (3) times (John 18: 15-27 KJV).
Peter sincerely felt that he would go to death for his Lord regardless of the circumstance.
But when the circumstance came, Peter cowardly denied ever knowing Christ!
Fear ruled him so greatly (due to his misunderstanding about Christ' mission on earth and what the Roman soldiers were doing) that he even used profane language!
Christ knew that Peter would "fail" yet He reassured him that when he got coverted, to "strengthen his brethren" (Luke 22:32 KJV).

Peter didn't know his own character flaws, but a testing in time of trial--Christ' capture & ultimate death--revealed them to him.
Peter had more chances to preach and teach about Christ in an even bolder, courageous manner. This time around he did not deny Him.
Going to his death (for preaching Christ), Peter would not even allow his murderers to crucify him as they did Jesus because he felt not even worthy enough to die in the same position! Wow!
This time Peter passed!

So tests (by God) usually strengthen one's faith or reveal character flaws that may need to be addressed, or just glorify God.

If you can differentiate between a "test" and a "temptation", that may help you more.
Sometimes, you may get confused.
Sincere prayer..and fasting when necessary...are the keys to help eradicate any confusion.

I don't know what kind of "test" you may be experiencing, but if you fail and it is the type of testing that does not lead you to sin, then I am sure God will speak to you through the Holy Spirit via guidance, rebuke, or strength needed.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Apostle Joshua Selman Speak Aboutthe Holy Spirit / Christians: 5 Questions To Ask Before Making That Next Post Online / Video: Ex-president Goodluck Jonathan Wishes Apostle Suleman Happy Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.