Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,698 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

[discover Badagry] My Visit To The Chief Priestess Of Atingemen Snake Shrine In - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / [discover Badagry] My Visit To The Chief Priestess Of Atingemen Snake Shrine In (486 Views)

Visit to Nigeria Local aluminium Pot Making Factory /see how they make it -photo / See Modern Shrine In Awka Where The Deity Rejected Air Conditioner / Ancient Shrine Commissioned In Oyo State By Alaafin. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

[discover Badagry] My Visit To The Chief Priestess Of Atingemen Snake Shrine In by Blackalaja(m): 2:04pm On Mar 02, 2020
I have visited Badagry tourist sites, on so many occasions and I can tell all the stories that comes with it but, my mysterious discovery of this shrine was something that still baffles me. Little is known to me about the history of spiritual sites, that holds the history of some indigenous people of this Nobel town, before the colonial era. Possibly forgotten or, never mentioned to any visitors or tourists.

I asked myself after leaving. "Is this something the world needs to know, or it's something that, the board of tourism has never desired to be part of the stories that should be told of this town, and has never been part of the experience of any tourist?".

I asked a few people in the popular parts of the town, far away from the location of the shrine. I was shocked by the response I got from people. Some of them were even more shocked .

Though they know of snake tribes and families, but this particular one, located at "Ajara Topa kingdom" has little or no traces of the history they know.

The tour guides I met, were also a little bit ignorant of its exiatence, and has nothing to say about it's history.

So what's when I decided to go back and find out myself, what secretes awaits my "CURIOSITY". 

But, I wasn't sure of what to meet or, how I may need to handle myself, if asked to carry a snake on my neck or, something that may freak my already 'curious and anticipated' body. 

So, I immediately arranged with and indigine to lead me there. He actually advised we get a gin to offer as gift upon our arrival, which I didn't hesitate.

We got there successful and was lucky to meet them in session. The smiles and joy on their face seeing a visitor, seems to like I wasn't the 1st visitor to come around. So at least, I was sure it's not a forbidden place to be. I couldn't wait to ask all my questions and they could tell by the way I looked around curiously. 

Here how the conversation went:

ME: So, mama this is a snake shrine?

MAMA: Yes! This whole area & clans, worship this deity & the osun goddess.

ME: I thought so' because, your dress looks like that of the osun worshippers. But I have a question because, of people who may wish to visit your shrine. "Is this place in contrast to what we what we see in the movies, and how people get evil charms to hurt other people?

MAMA: Never, we can't do evil. 

As I am here right now, no amount of money you can offer me, will make me help you do evil.

ME: AHHH Mama! What if I offer you (10,000,000 000 million naira)?

ME: what I'll do is present or pain & hurts to the gods. But will only ask that the true judgment be served to who's wrong. Even if you're the guilty one, you'll be judged accordingly and shall rip what you sowed(especially if you lied). 

But for me to give your evil aid or charms? " I didn't see my predecessors do evil".

ME: Well, Mama. I noticed nobody has come to request any charms from you since I arrived here. Rather, it's been a subsequent request for blessings and prayers.

MAMA: Yes! Especially people who have made wiahes, during their previous visit to this shrine, and promises to return with gratitude and what ever pledges they make. 

ME: That's good. Because, a lot of people believe , that most ahrines like this are visited for evil and wicked purposes.

MAMA: No! Our own I wish is progress for everybody that visit or lives around us. There's no evil act of such here!.

ME: But mama, this perception or believe that ,you have about doing good against evil. Is it the way your deity wants it to be, or your own personal wish?

Read full story here........[url].http:///news/detail/8158fa07fd26470ffdd4c3c2bedad470?product[/url]http:///news/detail/8158fa07fd26470ffdd4c3c2bedad470?product==

(1) (Reply)

Zanj Revolt: Fulani Using Hausa Slaves To Terrorize Africans / 论加速主义,美国才是专业户 / Yoruba Community Abuja Organises Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.