Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,040 members, 7,818,085 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Ex Liverpool Striker Banned From Football Worldwide - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ex Liverpool Striker Banned From Football Worldwide (241 Views)

Daniel Strurridge Banned From Football Worldwide Until June / Samir Nasri Banned From Football Over Intravenous Drip Treatment / Yakubu Aiyegbeni Retires From Football On His 35th Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ex Liverpool Striker Banned From Football Worldwide by kingzjay(m): 1:06pm On Mar 03, 2020
Former Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge says he is "devastated" after being banned from football for four months for breaching betting rules.

He was originally given a six-week ban last summer, four of them suspended, but the FA appealed against the findings of an independent commission.

An appeal board also doubled the 30-year-old's fine to £150,000.

Sturridge's contract with Turkish side Trabzonspor had been terminated by mutual agreement earlier on Monday.

In a video posted on his YouTube account Sturridge said it had been "a crazy few days" after the "disappointing and upsetting" decision ended his season.

He added: "I just want to say it's been a very long and drawn-out process over the last couple of years and difficult to concentrate on my football.

"I'm going to continue to campaign for professional footballers to be able to speak to their families and close friends freely, without the real risk of being charged.

"I feel the betting companies and the practice and process of people placing bets on players moving clubs has to be stopped."

He thanked Trabzonspor but said he felt "uncomfortable" continuing to receive wages from the club because he was not able to "contribute".

(1) (Reply)

Manchester United Extends Unbeaten Run To 11 Games. / Breaking: Uefa Have Announced All Ucl & Uel Games Next Week Have Been Postponed / The Return Of Nike Football 2020 Full Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.