Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,694 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe (5690 Views)

Bukola Saraki, James Ibori, Kingibe, Others Framed Iyabo For Corruption—obasanjo / Bukola Saraki, James Ibori, Kingibe, Others Framed Iyabo For Corruption—Obasanjo / 'Baba Gana Kingibe' The Running mate Who Betrayed MKO Abiola. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by chrisokw: 10:54am On Jun 03, 2007
Obasanjo angry with Yar’Adua over Kingibe 3/6/2007

By Joseph Ogunsemi

The cordial relationship between former President Olusegun Obasanjo and the incumbent, Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, may soon become sour if feelers from Aso Rock Villa, Abuja, are anything to go by.
Sources close to the Villa said that Obasanjo was not happy with President Yar’Adua over the appointment of Ambassador Baba Gana Kingibe as the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF).

When Kingibe, former Chairman of the defunct Social Demcoratic Party (SDP) and running mate to the late Chief M.K.O. Abiola, presumed winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election was named the new SGF, Obasanjo was said to have been taken aback having not been involved in the decision.
A visibly angry Obasanjo who was instrumental to the emergence of Yar’Adua, former governor of Katsina State, as the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) standard bearer was said to have asked the National Chairman of the party to summon an emergency meeting of the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) to deliberate on Kingibe’s matter and other key appointments.

According to The Nation’s source, Ali, whose wife’s house in Abuja was demolished by the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA) shortly before Obasanjo left office, politely declined the instruction, saying that only Yar’Adua, the current PDP leader could call for such a meeting.

Ali’s response, The Nation gathered, rattled Obasanjo, who terminated the discussion abruptly.

It is however not clear if President Yar’Adua has been able to pacify Obasanjo over the issue.

Sources said Yar’Adua was being "careful" not to incur the wrath of Obasanjo so soon, and has therefore been cautious in the choice of principal officers of the National Assembly for which the ex-president has shown keen interest.

Obasanjo is said to be supporting Senator David Mark, a retired army general from Benue State for the Senate President. Mark’s choice has however been opposed by most legislators.

Some Senators have vowed to reject the imposition of officers on them going by the experience in the last dispensation when such officers were tied to the aprons of their benefactors.

Outgoing Senate President Ken Nnamani advised the in-coming Senators to reject Obasanjo’s hand-picked leadership and elect leaders of their choice.

"It will not serve any useful purpose to impose a Senate President against the wishes of majority of the Senators," Nnamani stated.

The new SGF, Kingibe, while taking over from his predecessor, Chief Ufot Ekaette stated that the eight years of Obasanjo’s reforms were gone, saying, "we’re now in the era of restoration, Yar’Adua’s administration would be different from Obasanjo’s."

Kingibe said that Yar’Adua’s government would focus on policies and programmes that would address the needs of the people.

"It would be wrong for people to expect uniformity of system with Obasanjo’s administration. Our system must definitely differ from Obasanjo’s.

"We shall consolidate the gains of the past years and build new structures to achieve the objectives of vision 2020," Kingibe maintained.

Moderator Asks, "What Is Your Source?"
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by Ikomi(m): 1:01pm On Jun 03, 2007
Am not sure if Kingibe is a right choice, bringing a man that served under Abacha into wat we should see as a new goverment with new ideas, is completely undependable.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by nigeria1: 12:40am On Jun 04, 2007
Yar adua really created more enermy by appoint kigibe, I have nothing a Kigibe, Really Yar Adua should stay clear of Abacha men and IBB men, Nigerian hate them, Their are over 150 million in Nigeria and outside that Yar Adua can pick from, He should dump all Abacha and IBB men, They would only give him problem, at home and the international press will label him. it would kill investment to Nigeria, and Yar Adua would be tag as been corrupt, He better be smart and do alway with those who the international community know as associate of Abacha and IBB, It would kill investment to Nigeria.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by Nobody: 2:02am On Jun 04, 2007
Babagana Kingibe is not a credible person. He's a professional spin doctor in the class of shameless and hungry liars like Walter Ofonagoro, Uche Chukwumerije, Duro Onabule, Alex Akinyele, Frank Nweke (recently). The list could go on . . .
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by McKren(m): 12:24pm On Jun 04, 2007
OBJ looks even more innovative than the so called Yar'adua.

He can as well appoint Shehu Shagari as CBN governor.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

On december 16 when Duke was made to step down, I thought hope has been defered for 8years. I now have a feeling that my thoughts may not be wrong afterall.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by Afam(m): 12:39pm On Jun 04, 2007
Here we go again. Yar'adua is picking people he believes he can work with and for the simple fact that he will either be blamed or praised for his failures or achievements respectively I believe that he should be given free hand to choose whoever he wants to choose for any post whatsoever.

We talk about IBB and Abacha days as if only soldiers were in power. How many Nigerian politicians today would say they did not take part in any form whatsoever in government (regardless of the level) when IBB or Abacha was in power?

Ultimately, God will guide Yar'adua the way He guided OBJ for eight years.

Maybe those that keep praying that God should do this and that without anything happening will get to learn that God will only allow things He knows are best for Nigeria and not what we individually hope and pray for.

Bottomline is that either God Has decided to ignore such prayers or that God decided to use people like OBJ to fulfill His plans for Nigeria and the same thing will happen to Yar'adua.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by McKren(m): 1:25pm On Jun 04, 2007
One of the PDP's credible claim to the Yaradua/Goodluck ticket is generational shift.
We thought it was time to break free from the past and give young men a chance, so telling us Yaradua can appoint his forefathers if he so wish is simply not what Nigerians voted for.

It makes nonsense of the whole concept of generational shift, and new ideas.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by Adurangba(f): 1:29pm On Jun 04, 2007
All lies - stupid reporter.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by Afam(m): 1:40pm On Jun 04, 2007
McKren:

One of the PDP's credible claim to the Yaradua/Goodluck ticket is generational shift.
We thought it was time to break free from the past and give young men a chance, so telling us Yaradua can appoint his forefathers if he so wish is simply not what Nigerians voted for.

It makes nonsense of the whole concept of generational shift, and new ideas.

I will rather work with an old man that knows his stuff than trust a young man that is not up to speed with what he should know.

Age is not an overiding criteria for deciding who will be more productive even in a typical work environment.

Beyond the brand names and beautiful adverts we see on TV of big organisations are professors and technicians that are closer to 60 years in some cases bringing to the fore experience they gathered over the years.

The statement in bold interests me a lot, I am glad you agree that Nigerians voted for Yar'adua in the last elections, never mind the likes of Buhari and Atiku that cannot manage electoral defeats.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by McKren(m): 1:46pm On Jun 04, 2007
Afam:

I will rather work with an old man that knows his stuff than trust a young man that is not up to speed with what he should know.
Age is not an overiding criteria for deciding who will be more productive even in a typical work environment.

Beyond the brand names and beautiful adverts we see on TV of big organisations are professors and technicians that are closer to 60 years in some cases bringing to the fore experience they gathered over the years.

The statement in bold interests me a lot, I am glad you agree that Nigerians voted for Yar'adua in the last elections, never mind the likes of Buhari and Atiku that cannot manage electoral defeats.

The old men we are talking about have been part and parcel of the failure called Nigeria.

For the records, I never wished for Atiku and Buhari Presidency.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by angel101(f): 2:58pm On Jun 04, 2007
The first signs from Yaradua i'm afraid are not encouraging. Besides the fact that Kingibe represents the old order, this is a man who was a party chairman and his party was believed to have won an election which was fraudulently annulled. and what did he do? he went right ahead and accepted a political appointment from the very perpetrators of the injustice! That tells me a lot about the stuff he is made of.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by Afam(m): 3:16pm On Jun 04, 2007
McKren:

The old men we are talking about have been part and parcel of the failure called Nigeria.

For the records, I never wished for Atiku and Buhari Presidency.

The statement in bold refers, I completely disagree with you that Nigeria is a failed nation so that may explain the reason why we see issues in Nigeria differently.

Nigeria may have its unique problems and challenges but to label Nigeria a failed nation is not right in my opinion.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by GNature(m): 5:10pm On Jun 04, 2007
Isn't it obvious by now that what we need are younger technocrats to move our country forward ?

During OBJ's first term, the bulk of the folks of his cabinet were the oldies - Danjuma, Ali Chiroma, & co.

During his second term, he appointed people like Okonjo-Iweala, Oby Ezekwesili, El-rufai & co.

We all know how much the younger technocrats have contributed to our country within the 2003 - 2007 period.

Rather than appointing the likes of Kingibe, Yar 'Adua should take a cue from the accomplishments of OBJ's second term appointees so we can move this
country forward.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by Johnny(m): 5:26pm On Jun 04, 2007
Obasanjo angry with Yar’Adua over Kingibe

Am angry too. Kingibe, to me, is too exhausted a politician to be our Secratary of State (SFG).
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by ajadrage: 5:40pm On Jun 04, 2007
I do not see any reason why? Was anybody angry with baba when he chose Ufot?

Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by Afam(m): 5:44pm On Jun 04, 2007
ajadrage:

I do not see any reason why? Was anybody angry with baba when he chose Ufot?

Ask them ooo. Maybe Ufot was under 35years when he was appointed.

We like applying the same standards differently depending on the target.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by McKren(m): 5:47pm On Jun 04, 2007
Afam:

Ask them ooo. Maybe Ufot was under 35years when he was appointed.

We like applying the same standards differently depending on the target.

Must we make the same mistake twice? What did Ufot Ekaete achieve other than to intentionally misplace Okigbo report??
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by Afam(m): 5:55pm On Jun 04, 2007
McKren:

Must we make the same mistake twice? What did Ufot Ekaete achieve other than to intentionally misplace Okigbo report??

Haba, so Ufot's appointment was a mistake? Not aware of that.

What were you expecting him to achieve in office? Maybe the answer to this question will help guide us as to the usefulness of otherwise of the man Ufot as the SFG.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by docokwy(m): 7:43pm On Jun 04, 2007
Afam, I bu anu ofia. Ewu.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by FACE(m): 7:56pm On Jun 04, 2007
Yar'adua is picking people he believes he can work with and for the simple fact that he will either be blamed or praised for his failures or achievements respectively I believe that he should be given free hand to choose whoever he wants to choose for any post whatsoever.

I'm of the same opinion here. I believe we should give the man the usual 100 days in office before we start moaning.  it is a bit difficult for me to assess the capabilities of the man. His presidency has started on a different note to Obasanjo's presidency. at least he has not climbed Zuma rock to beat his chest and boast of what he is going to achieve within two weeks in office unlike some people we know. Regardless, he will still have a date with my yard stick in September.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by laudate: 4:13pm On Jun 05, 2007
docokwy:

Afam, I bu anu ofia. Ewu.

Afam, biko lets continue with the topic. Don't let this 'mumu' get under your skin with his pathetic round of insults. We all know he has nothing upstairs, in that empty barrel he calls a brain!

GNature:

Rather than appointing the likes of Kingibe, Yar 'Adua should take a cue from the accomplishments of OBJ's second term appointees so we can move this
country forward.

What really is the job of the Secretary to the Federal Government? Can anyone answer that? The portfolio requires someone who is conversant with civil service rules & regulations, procedures, activities etc. A career civil servant is best suited for the job. Not an academic from a Bretton Woods institution or any entrepreneur who feels by cutting corners to make a quick buck, he can achieve success on his own terms. As an SGF, you are meant to be seen & not heard. Implement the EO's (or Executive Orders), while using the F.I's (i.e. Financial Instructions) as a guide. Simple.

So wether the person is over fifty or under thirty is not the issue. Does he or she know what needs to be done, and is he or she willing and able, to do what needs to be done?
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by Afam(m): 5:24pm On Jun 05, 2007
laudate:

Afam, biko lets continue with the topic. Don't let this 'mumu' get under your skin with his pathetic round of insults. We all know he has nothing upstairs, in that empty barrel he calls a brain!

No wahala, the guy must have picked up that line while listening to his father addressing his mother that way. Na wetin unstable home dey cause.

laudate:

What really is the job of the Secretary to the Federal Government? Can anyone answer that? The portfolio requires someone who is conversant with civil service rules & regulations, procedures, activities etc. A career civil servant is best suited for the job. Not an academic from a Bretton Woods institution or any entrepreneur who feels by cutting corners to make a quick buck, he can achieve success on his own terms. As an SGF, you are meant to be seen & not heard. Implement the EO's (or Executive Orders), while using the F.I's (i.e. Financial Instructions) as a guide. Simple.

So wether the person is over fifty or under thirty is not the issue. Does he or she know what needs to be done, and is he or she willing and able, to do what needs to be done?

I am with you on this. What are the expectations of a SFG?
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by olutomiwa(m): 7:06pm On Jun 05, 2007
kingibe is a POLITICAL ASHAWO.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by GNature(m): 8:50pm On Jun 05, 2007
laudate:

Laudate, actually, my response to this thread was also based on reports that Yar 'Adua plans on making about 4 ex-governors ministers, including James Ibori (because he funded his campaign). We need to start placing technocrats like Okonjo-Iweala as ministers and not these air head politicians.

But as far as the position of SGF goes, Kingibe, while not my favourite choice, is still okay.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by McKren(m): 11:21pm On Jun 05, 2007
May be Kingibe's appointment is well deserved

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/4676277.stm

I withdraw my argument.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by laudate: 6:56pm On Jun 07, 2007
Afam:

I am with you on this. What are the expectations of a SFG?

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, is a top administrative post which represents the presidency (i.e. former cabinent office), to ministries and civil servants. His office is a focal point that coordinates all activities of the different arms of government, including the policies of various ministries & parastatals. He is also a member of the Federal Executive council which comprises of President, Vice-President, Ministers & other top presidential aides.

That is his office in a nutshell.

There is more info in this book:

The Office of The Secretary to The Government of The Federal Rebublic of Nigeria
by Ajulo S.B, published by Vantage Publishers, Ibadan. 1998.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by vigasimple(m): 12:19am On Jun 08, 2007
Appointing Kingibe whatever his experience with ihs record and background is a backward steps.

The future is clear from examples of OBJ second term. He pick Young and intelligent, creative people and Nigeria make some progress in the right directions.

Leopard does not change its spot. Kingibe has nothing to offer Nigeria and I always love to be prove wrong.

This are men who only eat isi ewu and drink and what follows from there. They only see the country as their milk and honey supply.

At the end of the day, I think if Yar Adua wants to make progress this man should be out within 100 days at most.

Also the younger ones are hungry, full of ideas and energy and should be made to contribute. Infact if the next president should be more than 45years I will think something is seriously wrong with Nigeria.

Tony Blair came to power in the UK when he was 42 and now look jaded and tired after 10 years and he is only 52 years old. The business of running the state always weigh you down not unless you are the Prseident of Nigeria who only hold fruitless meeting and appointing retarded people.

Anyway let us continue to pray for our President for the Lord to grant him wisdom and favours in his decisons as some of them will have irreversible consequences. whatever decision he make in the Name of our good Lord will be beneficial for Nigeria even if he is not thinking like that. Our future is important than any single person

Long Live Nigeria and may God bless her and her people.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by debosky(m): 12:21am On Jun 08, 2007
must you be 'young' to contribute? the man is vastly experienced as a diplomat and also in the workings of government

is he any older than Ufot Ekaette the former SGF? your point about his age has no merit here.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by bright01: 4:24am On Jun 08, 2007
What Yaradua did is not right by apointing Kingibe as SGF, Obasanjo think he can control Yaradau at his (Yaradua) regime. Recycling the presidential regime!!!! lol
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by bright01: 4:28am On Jun 08, 2007
If Obanjo knows that Yaradua will act like this, he would have not supported him.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by bright01: 4:39am On Jun 08, 2007
keep watch Yaradua!!!! he has just started appointing more of IBB and Abacha's men.
Re: Obasanjo Angry With Yaradua Over Kingibe by Afam(m): 8:47am On Jun 08, 2007
Tony Blair being used as an example is even bad because the way he bought the lies of Bush as regards the illegal Invasion of Iraq was very shameful. He is leaving office worse than he came in but OBJ opposed the war from day 1 so being younger is not usually an advantage especially as regards governance.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Is Why I Hate Nigerians. / Don't Be A Weakling, Be Assertive - Prof Sagay To GEJ / Igbo's Plans To Align With The Northerners To Revenge On Yorubas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.