Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,415 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Please Help Translate From Yoruba - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Please Help Translate From Yoruba (5418 Views)

.... / Get To Know Very Famous People From Yoruba Tribe [you Won't Believe Your Eyes] / Translate "Na Wa O" In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Translate From Yoruba by clauetc: 10:39am On Dec 21, 2010
hello

please help me trasnlate from yoruba language. i know it's a prayer, or something like that, but i don't understand the whole meaning.

iyawo gidi lodede oko gidi, iyawo ti eniyan fin yangan larin awon obinrin egbe, Olorun eledumare, yo pese gbogbo nkan ti onfe fun ooo.

thanks a lot.
Re: Please Help Translate From Yoruba by Nobody: 9:21pm On Dec 21, 2010
Hi,

I think you'll have better luck in the culture section. and no, i dont understand it either, but there's lots of yoruba threads/people who understand and are willing to translate yoruba there.
Re: Please Help Translate From Yoruba by Sagamite(m): 10:46pm On Dec 21, 2010
clauetc:

iyawo gidi lodede oko gidi, iyawo ti eniyan fin yangan larin awon obinrin egbe, Olorun eledumare, yo pese gbogbo nkan ti onfe fun ooo

I am not too sure what lodede means but I will have a go based on the context of the rest of the statement.

A real/great wife is the one that deserves a real/great husband, a wife that one can put on a pedestal in the midst of other women her mate, God the maker, will grant you/her all you/she wish(es).

Now I don't know how this is being applied hence the "/"s.

It sounds like a man crediting and praising his wife.

Or a religious individual praying for a man looking for a wife.

Or a religious individual praying for a woman whilst simultaneously advising her on what to be.
Re: Please Help Translate From Yoruba by talk2ahmed(m): 3:45pm On Dec 23, 2010
You go pay me 10 cowries o!
ok let me try

iyawo gidi lodede oko gidi, iyawo ti eniyan fin yangan larin awon obinrin egbe, Olorun eledumare, yo pese gbogbo nkan ti onfe fun ooo.

It is a good wife that suits a good husband; a wife that one can boast of among her peers,God almighty shall grant you all that your heart desires.
(i think its more like a praise and a prayer of an appreciative husband)
Re: Please Help Translate From Yoruba by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 28, 2010
@ Sagamite,
Odede in that context is best translated as 'home'. L'odede means 'at home'.
So 'iyawo gidi lodede oko gidi' means a good wife in the home of a good husband(the whole sentence is actually a wish for good home).
Re: Please Help Translate From Yoruba by talk2ahmed(m): 6:53pm On Dec 28, 2010
@Jarus, thumbs up, am enlightened. Thank u
Re: Please Help Translate From Yoruba by Sagamite(m): 9:11pm On Dec 28, 2010
Thanks, Jarus.

How do you pronounce it so I can assess if it is familiar?

Use English words to translate like:

English: Banana | Yoruba: Ogede | Yoruba Pronunciation: Orgirdey

English: Best Friend | Yoruba: Ore mi atata | Yoruba Pronunciation: Or-rer mi artartar
Re: Please Help Translate From Yoruba by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 29, 2010
English: Banana | Yoruba: O[b]g[/b]ede | Yoruba Pronunciation: Orgirdey

Exactly the same pronunciation with Ogede(Banana). Just remove the 'g' in Ogede above and replace with 'd', and pronounce without changing any other thing.

Being from Ogun state, you may not be familiar with the word, but it's more common in Oyo, Osun(excluding Ijesa) and Kwara versions of Yoruba.
Re: Please Help Translate From Yoruba by Sagamite(m): 6:18pm On Dec 29, 2010
^^^ I have never come across the word before in my life. grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Jos Bomb Blast Government Are Not Helping The Poor / Watch Video>> Bf Took Lover To Salon And Abandoned Her Over Payment(mind Blowing / Singer Mobad Is Dead!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.