Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,234 members, 7,825,906 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard (1026 Views)

A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland / Sanwo-Olu Announces Total Ban Of Okada In 6 Local Government / Ban On Street Begging Forces Almajiri To Dumpsites In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by Nobody: 8:07pm On Mar 06, 2020
By Akin Alofetekun, Minna
06 March 2020

The Niger State government has placed a total ban on any form of begging in the state.

The Commissioner of Information and Communication, Alhaji Mohammed Sani Idris, who disclosed this to journalists in Minna said the law was not aimed at attacking the culture of almanjiri.

He noted that similar laws in other states have more or less turned Niger State into a dumping ground for the almanjiris that were sent packing from those states.

According to Idris, anybody caught begging will be repatriated to his state.

The commissioner insisted that quranic teachers who are interested in running schools for the almanjiris should provide them with accommodation and feeding without sending them out to beg. According to him , there are more than enough Shangaya schools in the state run by government to accommodate interested almanjiris.

"What we will not tolerate is somebody running an almajiri school in a way of turning them to beggars. Gradually, Minna is becoming a dumping ground for almajiri. We have discovered that many of them are not even from this state.”

Source: https://m.guardian.ng/news/niger-places-total-ban-on-street-begging/

Cc: Lalasticlala, OAM4J, Mynd44
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by oz4real83(m): 8:08pm On Mar 06, 2020
They will migrate down south because of the ban. Our governors in the south keeps accomodating them because they don't want it to be used against them in future because of federal appointments supposing they take actions against them. They fail to see the security threats these beggars are posing to the society. Most of them are fully fit but still masquerade as beggars.

1 Like

Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by Snipper007: 8:09pm On Mar 06, 2020
Aboki don dey get sense small...... grin
But I thought they said it's the pride of the north undecided?
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by 0m0nnakoda: 8:11pm On Mar 06, 2020
I am happy that we are establishing the precedent of repatriation.

So when we start in Lagos state let there be support
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by yanabasee(m): 8:12pm On Mar 06, 2020
Banning street begging is a welcome development...But you have to make up with alternative ways to not invite crimes to the city....

Just like banning mad people on the street without a psychiatric hospital to accommodate them..
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by 0m0nnakoda: 8:13pm On Mar 06, 2020
yanabasee:
Banning street begging is a welcome development...But you have to make up with alternative ways to not invite crimes to the city....

Just like banning mad people on the street without a psychiatric hospital to accommodate them..

Yes you are right we should not ban kidnapping until we get them jobs in in NNPC

1 Like

Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by yanabasee(m): 8:15pm On Mar 06, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Yes you are right we should not ban kidnapping until we get them jobs in in NNPC

Ogbeni is your brain on vacation??

Kidnapping is a crime...

Is begging on the street, a crime?
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by Davash222(m): 8:19pm On Mar 06, 2020
All Southern States should ban all forms of begging likewise cos these Almajiri beggars would move down here where there's milk and honey
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by 0m0nnakoda: 8:20pm On Mar 06, 2020
yanabasee:

Kidnapping is a crime...

In several states of Nigeria, yes
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by yanabasee(m): 8:23pm On Mar 06, 2020
0m0nnakoda:
In several states of Nigeria, yes

Look up for the meaning of crime on a dictionary....
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by Davash222(m): 8:24pm On Mar 06, 2020
yanabasee:

If begging is banned, then, you and your cohorts engage in it, it's a crime and it's punishable. Inform your brothers
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by 0m0nnakoda: 8:28pm On Mar 06, 2020
yanabasee:

Take up your own advice
If you stay silent sometimes it is better than for you to expose your emptiness with pride
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by yanabasee(m): 8:31pm On Mar 06, 2020
Davash222:

If begging is banned, then, you and your cohorts engage in it, it's a crime and it's punishable. Inform your brothers

Egbon, Begging isn't banned because it's a crime.... It's banned because, it's a form of public nuisance....

Una go school so??

1 Like

Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by 0m0nnakoda: 8:33pm On Mar 06, 2020
yanabasee:

Egbon, Begging isn't banned because it's a crime.... It's banned because, it's a form of public nuisance....

Una go school so??
Stop talking like a fool
Begging is a crime in Lagos state.
It is an offence punishable by law,punishable by a fine or imprisonment.
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by 0m0nnakoda: 8:34pm On Mar 06, 2020
What really irks us how an empty ignorant vessels comes out and thinks they know it all when their head is full of garri
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by Davash222(m): 8:35pm On Mar 06, 2020
yanabasee:

Una go school so??
Nuisance isn't a crime smh
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by johnmartus(m): 8:37pm On Mar 06, 2020
They are trooping to southwest now. Lagos should regulate their activities. They are even defecate on the street.
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by 0m0nnakoda: 8:38pm On Mar 06, 2020
Any behaviour or activity that is prohibited and which is punishable by imprisonment is a crime.
In some jurisdictions even if the punishment is a fine it is still a crime
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by yanabasee(m): 8:38pm On Mar 06, 2020
0m0nnakoda:
Stop talking like a fool Begging is a crime in Lagos state. It is an offence punishable by law,punishable by a fine or imprisonment.
Olodo...,

It's a crime only when it was passed as a law...
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by 0m0nnakoda: 8:40pm On Mar 06, 2020
yanabasee:

Olodo...,

It's a crime only when it was passed as a law...
It has been a crime in Lagos state for several years

STFU and get outta my face

https://www.nairaland.com/1185522/lagos-sends-30-beggars-jail
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by yanabasee(m): 8:41pm On Mar 06, 2020
Davash222:

Nuisance isn't a crime smh

Begging as a nuisance isn't a crime.....

Just yesterday a grown man came to me at katampe for a tip for transport. I had the right to turn away..he never compelled me, I gave it out freely...

You can't tag that as a nuisance
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by yanabasee(m): 8:43pm On Mar 06, 2020
0m0nnakoda:
It has been a crime in Lagos state for several years
STFU and get outta my face
https://www.nairaland.com/1185522/lagos-sends-30-beggars-jail

Frustrated Olodo....

I said, it's a crime only when it WAS passed as a law....
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by 0m0nnakoda: 8:45pm On Mar 06, 2020
yanabasee:

Frustrated Olodo....

I said, it's a crime only when it WAS passed as a law....
You already said earlier it is not a crime and suggested checking up crime in a dictionary.

I really do not hang out wit dunces or liars
Get lost!!
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by yanabasee(m): 8:48pm On Mar 06, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

You already said earlier it is not a crime and suggested checking up crime in a dictionary.

I really do not hang out wit dunces or liars
Get lost!!

Mad people can never agree that they are mad... I don't think, even olodo people will...
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by 0m0nnakoda: 8:48pm On Mar 06, 2020
yanabasee:

Just yesterday a grown man came to me at katampe for a tip for transport. I had the right to turn away..he never compelled me, I gave it out freely...

In Lagos state it is a Crime
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by SpecialAdviser(m): 9:23pm On Mar 06, 2020
So these guys are waking up??
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by Davash222(m): 9:36pm On Mar 06, 2020
yanabasee:

If after telling him you don't have any cash with you and he keeps pestering you, that's nuisance
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by Sirjamo: 9:53pm On Mar 06, 2020
yanabasee:

Kidnapping is a crime...

It's not a crime, it's a menace. Both has to be dealt with!!!
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by yanabasee(m): 10:11pm On Mar 06, 2020
Davash222:

If after telling him you don't have any cash with you and he keeps pestering you, that's nuisance

Yet, still isn't a crime... Until he threatens me...

The banned beggars are actually those seated at the roadside with their plates... where passerby can support them with any amount you wish to give.....
Re: Niger State Places Total Ban On Street Begging - Vanguard by 0m0nnakoda: 4:46am On Mar 07, 2020
Sirjamo:
It's not a crime, it's a menace. Both has to be dealt with!!!
Under the law of Lagos state it is a crime punishable by 3 months imprisonment .

(1) (Reply)

Deport All Almajirins In The South East- Ohaneze Tells Governors. / ''for D First Time In Our History, We Hv A Fulani President Nd A Fulani COS / Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Warned Over Alleged Threats To Kill Igbo Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.