Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,044 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta (12944 Views)

Hectares Of Land Available At Abeokuta For Sale At 250k Per Acre(PRICE UPDATE) / (PRICE UPDATE) 250k/acre Farm Land At Abeokuta Still Selling... / Swarmp Land Suitable For Fish Farming At Ikorodu Price #800k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by jethro2: 5:20pm On May 05, 2020
You should learn some manners of approach.
It's ethical

And by the way you sound like a frustrated farmer

obstead200:
who will be the fool that will now suffer to farm the ones u are to buy?

2 Likes

Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by emmaodet: 8:58am On May 08, 2020
obstead200:
problem is, without the farmer, the middle men are out of business. Don't discourage farmers.

Smart farmers will gradually learn to bypass the middle men and make more money

Waoooooo
I like your comments.
Are you also a farmer?
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by Nobody: 9:10am On May 08, 2020
emmaodet:

And that is why am closing down the chain line by being the farmer and processor so as to give a good profit margin and able to withstand loss and low price to some extent.

Do you have a market to sell to?
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by emmaodet: 9:12am On May 08, 2020
Adedokunworld:

Do you have a market to sell to?
Yes bro, i do
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 08, 2020
emmaodet:

Yes bro, i do

I sent you a pm bro
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by emmaodet: 6:42pm On May 08, 2020
Adedokunworld:

I sent you a pm bro

Ok sir
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by obstead200(m): 1:36am On May 09, 2020
emmaodet:

Waoooooo
I like your comments.
Are you also a farmer?
yes I am a poultry farmer
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by obstead200(m): 1:42am On May 09, 2020
jethro2:
You should learn some manners of approach.
It's ethical

And by the way you sound like a frustrated farmer

Aunty, I know ur antecedents on nairaland so I won't oblige u.

Please note that my statement was not meant to be an insult. If everyone decides to buy and resell agricultural produce, then who will do the farming of what they are to buy?

Do not discourage would be farmers with such comments, even though I must admit that u are partially right. sometimes (unfortunately too) it is true that middlemen make much more than the farmer.

4 Likes

Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by emmaodet: 2:36am On May 09, 2020
obstead200:
yes I am a poultry farmer

Okay, nice meeting you.
I know it is not easy being a farmer and the middle men/marketer just like /wish to fleece all the profits to themselves alone and that is why i want to down the gap.
Nice meeting you once again.
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by IRIENBOY(m): 8:31am On May 09, 2020
Good
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by emmaodet: 5:38am On May 14, 2020
Good morning followers.
Just to update you about my groundnut farming.
Planted 1st of may but the rain has been erratic due to climate change because until now, we haven't experienced regular rainfall and i pray it doesn't affect the crops negatively.
From the attached pictures, noticed the germination rate of the groundnut is 70% compared to 95% the seller told us.

cc jethro2
ZEPHYREN
Hasib04
wiseone1111
mankettle
DonCarlos1
miracle139
DeLaRue
obstead200
Adedokunworld
IRIENBOY

Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by Omar09(m): 8:10am On May 14, 2020
emmaodet:
Good morning followers.
Just to update you about my groundnut farming.
Planted 1st of may but the rain has been erratic due to climate change because until now, we haven't experienced regular rainfall and i pray it doesn't affect the crops negatively.
From the attached pictures, noticed the germination rate of the groundnut is 70% compared to 95% the seller told us.

cc

Baba quote me oh... Make I deh learn.

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by emmaodet: 8:12am On May 14, 2020
Omar09:

Baba quote me oh... Make I deh learn.

Hahahaha
You are already following me now, so you will always see my posts
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by Omar09(m): 8:28am On May 14, 2020
emmaodet:

Hahahaha
You are already following me now, so you will always see my posts

Yeah... But usually when post from people I follow becomes too much, I just refresh and miss out.
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by Yampotatocarrot(m): 12:29am On May 19, 2020
jethro2:

Buying and selling of agricultural produce is quite profitable than farming.
Writing as a practising farmer with some years of experience

Please, if you don't mind, can you explain what you mean by this, and why you said so?
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by niyidenrele: 1:06pm On May 19, 2020
jethro2:

Buying and selling of agricultural produce is quite profitable than farming.

Writing as a practising farmer with some years of experience

.....For a farmer who s not well versed or lazy in thinking,...of not all Nigerian leaders and creme de la creme, wouldn't be spending their cash and investment on farms ,there is a secret behind their actions,cud still remember,the former Governor of Adamawa State ,Muritala N'Yarko, saying he derived nothing less than,9billons annually from his mangoes farms alone , does he need to be a agricultural middle men to achieve that ,..?..only that agricultural middle men save you stress and long time,to make profit unlike being Farmer originally,they both make profit

5 Likes

Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by Easy023(m): 3:53pm On May 19, 2020
can one still plant groundnut now?

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by zainabicy: 6:17am On May 20, 2020
emmaodet:
Good morning followers.

bro, please constantly update this thread with your reports. we would all like to learn from you.

dont be discouraged by the naysayers...even if it doesn't all work out well, you would learn from the experience.
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by emmaodet: 6:37am On May 20, 2020
zainabicy:

bro, please constantly update this thread with your reports. we would all like to learn from you.

dont be discouraged by the naysayers...even if it doesn't all work out well, you would learn from the experience.

Not at all ma.
I will constantly update the thread just that am stuck at work and my manager is the one sending me the pix.
After lifting the lockdown and am home, will be updating regularly.
So far, the major challenge we have been having is this erratic or irregular rainfall due to climate change, it's really crazy and i won't have bothered myself or noticed if i haven't been into farming.
By this time of the year mid may, we should have been having regular rainfall even from march sef but now, the last rain at Abeokuta was last week thursday, very pathetic.
I planted the groundnuts 1st of may and had to do a replanting on 13th may for those that didn't grow because the germination rate of the seed i bought is 95% while i noticed 70% practically, so i had to replant the 30% again.
I'm already preparing the land for the second/late planting in july for the second batch and will correct my mistakes from the first one in it.
Thanks for caring.

4 Likes

Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by UndauntedYOCA(f): 8:57am On May 22, 2020
emmaodet:
Hello nairalanders,

The new planting season is here and am about trying my hands on 2 acre of groundnuts.
Fingers crossed. I'll be uploading the progress regularly to teach and be taught so lets be positive on this thread.

I am into groundnut oil production and my major challenge has been the high cost of raw materials (groundnut) which has rendered the business handicapped.
I do buy groundnuts from bida, mokwa, kano, gombe and adamawa but the cost and logistics has made me to think inward and homeward.
Cost of leasing 1 acre is #6,000
Tractor for ploughing 1 acre is #5,000 excluding fueling.
Seed - i bought improvised seed, samnut 21 and 22 (12 kg per acre each) = #9,600 for all
Other things to do -
Tractor ridging - #5,000 per acre minus fueling.
Herbicides
Planting cost
Insecticide to be sprayed immediately after flowering.
Cost of spraying insecticide.
Cost of harvesting.
Thanks and will keep you updated
Hi, I think I have a lot to learn from you bro. Well, I wouldn't mind learning from you. When did you buy the groundnut you farmed? Would it thrive better in Benue or Ogun state? Can I PM you please?
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by emmaodet: 11:03am On May 22, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

Hi, I think I have a lot to learn from you bro. Well, I wouldn't mind learning from you. When did you buy the groundnut you farmed? Would it thrive better in Benue or Ogun state? Can I PM you please?

Ok sis. Bought it in april but planted 1st of may.
Are you based in benue? Are you tiv, idoma or igede?
My manager is igede and he has been the backbone of the project.
Ogun state grows a lot of groundnuts at imeko, ayetoro and igbo-ora axis and that is why am trying my hands on it now.

I heard from a reliable source that for improved seedling, samnut 24 thrived best in benue while local seeds can also still be used.
In Ogun state, samnut 21 and 22 thrives more for improved seedlings and lcal seeds still do fine too.
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by UndauntedYOCA(f): 11:16am On May 22, 2020
emmaodet:

Ok sis. Bought it in april but planted 1st of may.
Are you based in benue? Are you tiv, idoma or igede?
My manager is igede and he has been the backbone of the project.
Ogun state grows a lot of groundnuts at imeko, ayetoro and igbo-ora axis and that is why am trying my hands on it now.

I heard from a reliable source that for improved seedling, samnut 24 thrived best in benue while local seeds can also still be used.
In Ogun state, samnut 21 and 22 thrives more for improved seedlings and lcal seeds still do fine too.
Lol, I'm from Ogun state o, serving in Benue state though but will be done next week.
I don't know much about g/nut o but I've just tried my hands on 8 mudus, that's about 64 mudus lol. Now that I've just read your thread I'm thinking of trying it out. I'll PM you now.
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by UndauntedYOCA(f): 11:19am On May 22, 2020
emmaodet:
Hello nairalanders,

The new planting season is here and am about trying my hands on 2 acre of groundnuts.
Fingers crossed. I'll be uploading the progress regularly to teach and be taught so lets be positive on this thread.

I am into groundnut oil production and my major challenge has been the high cost of raw materials (groundnut) which has rendered the business handicapped.
I do buy groundnuts from bida, mokwa, kano, gombe and adamawa but the cost and logistics has made me to think inward and homeward.
Cost of leasing 1 acre is #6,000
Tractor for ploughing 1 acre is #5,000 excluding fueling.
Seed - i bought improvised seed, samnut 21 and 22 (12 kg per acre each) = #9,600 for all
Other things to do -
Tractor ridging - #5,000 per acre minus fueling.
Herbicides
Planting cost
Insecticide to be sprayed immediately after flowering.
Cost of spraying insecticide.
Cost of harvesting.
Thanks and will keep you updated
How much would it cost to do the one you're currently doing? Minus and plus harvesting.
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by emmaodet: 11:24am On May 22, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

How much would it cost to do the one you're currently doing? Minus and plus harvesting.

130k including cost of leasing the land.
It is 1 hectare or 2.5 acres of land.
Duration is 115-120 days maturity.
Expected yield - 2 tons after been shelled. Well to me, this is still on paper or theory. Will find out from my experience.
Price of 1 ton of groundnuts - 150k, so total expected revenue - 300k
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by emmaodet: 11:26am On May 22, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

Lol, I'm from Ogun state o, serving in Benue state though but will be done next week.
I don't know much about g/nut o but I've just tried my hands on 8 mudus, that's about 64 mudus lol. Now that I've just read your thread I'm thinking of trying it out. I'll PM you now.

Ok. You are from Ogun state or based in Ogun state?
Which part of Ogun are you based? and from? I married an ijebu lady.
The groundnuts you planted, how many did you harvested and who did you sell it to? And price?
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by Barusho: 2:19pm On May 22, 2020
Am from Ogun state Abeokuta precisely.
1) I would like to ask where did you get the tractor for the farm work?
2) what is the planting cost for the 2hectares?
3) where is your farm located
4) how much is used for fuelling the tractor
5) Do you mind if I can have first hand experience on your farm, if possible help out too.

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by heartbraker(m): 3:52pm On May 22, 2020
No,I humbly disagree.
Manufacturers all around the world buy products from farmers all the time,you know what you lack? lipsrsealed
Wanna know?
Ok I'll tell you.
It's simply capacity.
Let's say you have more money and resources,let me start pointing out where you'll get the breathing space you so desire;
1)purchasing power;
Let's say you have enough money to buy 100,000tons at a go,do you think you'll still buy 1ton for 180k? undecided
Hell no,you can have the audacity to tell the farmer that it's either 90k per ton or he go bleeps his mama while you humbly go and import from outside.
2)logistics;
It cost you 10-16k/ton to transport because you buy small small.
If you buy good quantity like I stipulated,you'll get to need bigger vessels or truck for haulage which when you fill to the brim and press calculator,you'll find out that it will cost like 3-5k/ton to transport because you now load more product per unit area.
3)Storage;
If you have money and capacity,you'll be able to build silos to store grains so that at time of scarcity,you'll have grains you had stored that will last you through the scarcity period.
You'll get to make money from hiking selling price due to scarcity even though you bought raw material at normal price,thereby maximising profit. cheesy
4)output capacity;
Imagine you have bigger machines that can handle more volume and push out more output per unit time,that is the same time and almost the same resources you use now to produce small small quantity will be used to bring out bigger output,that is you now get more jugs or kegs of oil on almost the same resource used to produce those small small ones you use to produce.
That further drives production cost down and gives you more room for profit or for you to be more competitive.
Imagine that...
Packaging;
Imagine you have capacity to buy 100,000 empty jugs at a go.
Will you still patronise iya big nyarsh that sell close to you with the small son at her shop with catarrh on his nose all the time?
Remember she always have small quantity available sef and by so her price will be very high.
Nah....
You'll now buy from the company direct at a very good price and they'll handle the logistics for you sef to your doorstep. undecided
Also,imagine what will happen to your sales?
It will skyrocket,because you are competitive with good product and can give you the ability to drop price more and still be profitable because your sales is very high,even if you make 200 naira per jug,you multiply by your quantity or output or selling power and you smile.
Ownership of logistics;
Imagine you no longer hire transport but own them?
You know what that means?it now cost you less to haul product from point A to B.
That is still driving production cost down and giving room for profit or competitiveness.
Automation;
Imagine you get enough capital to buy modern automated machines?
It means you'll higher less labour,spend less per unit time or output,that is you get to save money on labour hire while machine handles all what those expendable humans use to do?
You make more money and remain very competitive.
In fact they are so plenty I can't list all.
Note;
There is no such thing as bad business,you just don't have enough money to run it optimally or enough strategy for it to be profitable.
Finish! angry
grin grin
respect bro

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by mrinsurer: 12:37am On May 23, 2020
I will like plant 5 hectares in same location where you leased your land.Is the farm safe from herdmen and close to major road?

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by UndauntedYOCA(f): 8:14pm On May 23, 2020
emmaodet:

Ok. You are from Ogun state or based in Ogun state?
Which part of Ogun are you based? and from? I married an ijebu lady.
The groundnuts you planted, how many did you harvested and who did you sell it to? And price?
I'm ijebu as well.
I've only just planted them (few days ago) and it's not much, a plot and half.
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by UndauntedYOCA(f): 8:15pm On May 23, 2020
emmaodet:

130k including cost of leasing the land.
It is 1 hectare or 2.5 acres of land.
Duration is 115-120 days maturity.
Expected yield - 2 tons after been shelled. Well to me, this is still on paper or theory. Will find out from my experience.
Price of 1 ton of groundnuts - 150k, so total expected revenue - 300k
Wow!!! I don't have that much yet, maybe plantain would be better for now.
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by emmaodet: 8:53pm On May 23, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

I'm ijebu as well.
I've only just planted them (few days ago) and it's not much, a plot and half.

Ok, no p.
In benue or Ogun?
Re: Groundnut Farming At Abeokuta by emmaodet: 8:56pm On May 23, 2020
UndauntedYOCA:

Wow!!! I don't have that much yet, maybe plantain would be better for now.

Yes, maybe you should stick with plantain for now or any garden plant like cucumber, water melon, tomatoes, pepper, ugu or okro etc. These garden crops are less expensive to grow, short duration to harvest like 6 weeks after planting and doesn't take too much land to make good profits unlike food and cash crops like groundnuts, rice, rubber, palm trees, cocoa etc

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Start Plantain Farming In Nigeria / Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here / My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.