Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,904 members, 7,956,408 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:23 AM

*sacrificing Merit For Ethno-religious Sentiments, I Weep For My Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / *sacrificing Merit For Ethno-religious Sentiments, I Weep For My Country (475 Views)

Obidient Movement Is Fuelled By Tribal, Religious Sentiments - Keyamo / COAS: The 24 Army Officers Buhari Bypassed Over Ethnic, Religious Sentiments- SR / Nigeria @59: 9 Pictures That Will Make You Weep For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

*sacrificing Merit For Ethno-religious Sentiments, I Weep For My Country by eugyno: 6:42am On Mar 09, 2020
*Sacrificing Merit for ethno-religious sentiments*
I weep for my country:

'' In 2014, I and several other Nigerian University graduates had been shortlisted to write the Presidential Special Scholarship (PRESSID) designed exclusively for First Class Nigerian graduates who wanted to pursue both Masters and PhD in any top 25

Universities in the world. President Goodluck Jonathan had set the scheme up and the idea was to build a strong team of brilliant Nigerians who will come back to serve the country years later.

There were a little above one thousand of us who wrote the exam at CHAMS, Abuja.

At the time, I was already lecturing in UNN so most of my friends (who were also my colleagues) enrolled. 16 of us in total. It was a computer-based test so we knew our fate instantly. I had scored 94% in the exam. In fact, 15 of us from UNN scored between 80 and 97%. Man!

We came out of the exam hall completely joyous. We were so sure we had got the scholarship. And we were right. Sometime in February 2015, the list of 101 successful candidates was shortlisted in the National Dailies. Fifteen of us were on that list. I had applied to Princeton University, Imperial College London and University of Toronto already. That phase of our lives was glorious.
Fast forward to March 2015, Goodluck lost the elections to Mr. Buhari. That was where things started to take a new turn. Shortly after Mr Buhari was sworn in,

The presidency had recalled the list and complained that there was no single northerner on it. It was believed it was an agenda of the South. Right before our eyes, meritocracy was shortchanged for Federal character. It was first like a joke, but we all lost that huge scholarship. It was worth
about $250,000 per person (tuition and living expenses inclusive across 5 years).

Before then I had little faith in the country but when this happened, I became weary of the country.
Thankfully, later that year, I got a full scholarship from University of Toronto for my Masters and PhD (6 years in total). Of those other 14 friends of mine, 13 of them have also moved since then - US, Canada, UK, New Zealand, Japan etc. Obviously we moved on but truth is, the life we have now was afforded to us by the Government of another country, many of which will seduce you with permanent residency and citizenship afterwards.

Any nation that shortchanges merit for anything else will fall. Nigeria has the brightest people, yet, we are where we are (in Osibanjo's voice).

These people will corroborate my story as they were also winners of the PRESSID scholarship: Odoeze Jideofor Okagu Ogadimma Olikagu Sylvia Chisom Hyacinth Ali David Chukwuma Izuogu Samuel Olisa Chima Eke and others.

Sad!

Chidozie Ojobor''

ME:The young man is now making waves in Toronto Canada.

https://www.utoronto.ca/news/u-t-phd-student-wins-global-scholarship-combating-antibiotic-resistant-superbugs

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: *sacrificing Merit For Ethno-religious Sentiments, I Weep For My Country by jimyjames(m): 7:19am On Mar 09, 2020
Hmm
Re: *sacrificing Merit For Ethno-religious Sentiments, I Weep For My Country by Nobody: 7:20am On Mar 09, 2020
Good one there...that you have moved on. Sadly, we do not have a futuristic govt in power yet. That federal character is one of the things dragging us back as a nation which makes it possible for inserting a square peg in a round hole. They would soon pack and go. The onus is on Nigerians to check and profile the leaders that would come next and refrain from falling cheaply for their lies when they come to campaign in their locations.

There's nothing this government has never deceived Nigerians with, including steady power supply, creation of millions of jobs, infrastructural development, removal of subsidy and using the proceeds to turn Nigeria into an earthly paradise. They even showed us all these on tv in 3D whereas, we have paid subsidy in trillions since inception of this govt, which they once called a scam. They also said insecurity would be a thing of the past...the last time I checked, the bad guys are spreading wings and in every part of the country with all manners of names attached to them..my uncle fashola granted several interviews when he first took that office , boasting of improved power supply but now, the rest is history. He was frustrated out of the system. The last time I checked, a single accountant of northern extraction in the ministry of power in Abuja was probed for fraud. This man had over 60 vehicles with houses in choice locations in Abuja. The case had died a natural death already. Any doubting thomas should make google his friend.

I know of a guy who won the nysc national merit award.I learnt that usually translates into automatic employment at the federal level. This poor boy waited endlessly before giving up hope. Western countries would continue to develop because of their sincerity and full involvement in human capital development. They help without expecting anything in return.

People who have supported and still support the present govt have blindly and ignorantly called me names here but I don't care. I wish they could visit a neighbouring cotonou and see how orderly things are. This day and age, we still battle with stable electricity in a country where honey flows. We don't even know our population figure. If you ask them to allow us conduct headcount, they would discourage it because they know their yansh would be so open to the outside world.

All the best bro.

I can only wish you the very best my brother. My friend's younger brother from Ekiti who graduated with a first class in ife in chemical engineering narrowly escaped that list that was scrapped. He chose imperial college in london in 2013 and has since completed his programme. He now works with a subsidiary of NNPC. I think yours came a year after. Never mind, what would be, would surely be. Pele

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: *sacrificing Merit For Ethno-religious Sentiments, I Weep For My Country by Gandollaar(f): 8:21am On Mar 09, 2020
If you check, Katsina alone could have 40% slot on the manipulated list.

Buhari's goons quickly started zoning more things to his state as soon as he was sworn in to make him happy and cooperate with their looting

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: *sacrificing Merit For Ethno-religious Sentiments, I Weep For My Country by Yujin(m): 9:10am On Mar 09, 2020
eugyno:
I weep for my country:

'' In 2014, I and several other Nigerian University graduates had been shortlisted to write the Presidential Special Scholarship (PRESSID) designed exclusively for First Class Nigerian graduates who wanted to pursue both Masters and PhD in any top 25

Universities in the world. President Goodluck Jonathan had set the scheme up and the idea was to build a strong team of brilliant Nigerians who will come back to serve the country years later.

There were a little above one thousand of us who wrote the exam at CHAMS, Abuja.

At the time, I was already lecturing in UNN so most of my friends (who were also my colleagues) enrolled. 16 of us in total. It was a computer-based test so we knew our fate instantly. I had scored 94% in the exam. In fact, 15 of us from UNN scored between 80 and 97%. Man!

We came out of the exam hall completely joyous. We were so sure we had got the scholarship. And we were right. Sometime in February 2015, the list of 101 successful candidates was shortlisted in the National Dailies. Fifteen of us were on that list. I had applied to Princeton University, Imperial College London and University of Toronto already. That phase of our lives was glorious.
Fast forward to March 2015, Goodluck lost the elections to Mr. Buhari. That was where things started to take a new turn. Shortly after Mr Buhari was sworn in,

The presidency had recalled the list and complained that there was no single northerner on it. It was believed it was an agenda of the South. Right before our eyes, meritocracy was shortchanged for Federal character. It was first like a joke, but we all lost that huge scholarship. It was worth
about $250,000 per person (tuition and living expenses inclusive across 5 years).

Before then I had little faith in the country but when this happened, I became weary of the country.
Thankfully, later that year, I got a full scholarship from University of Toronto for my Masters and PhD (6 years in total). Of those other 14 friends of mine, 13 of them have also moved since then - US, Canada, UK, New Zealand, Japan etc. Obviously we moved on but truth is, the life we have now was afforded to us by the Government of another country, many of which will seduce you with permanent residency and citizenship afterwards.

Any nation that shortchanges merit for anything else will fall. Nigeria has the brightest people, yet, we are where we are (in Osibanjo's voice).

These people will corroborate my story as they were also winners of the PRESSID scholarship: Odoeze Jideofor Okagu Ogadimma Olikagu Sylvia Chisom Hyacinth Ali David Chukwuma Izuogu Samuel Olisa Chima Eke and others.

Sad!

Chidozie Ojobor''

https://www.utoronto.ca/news/u-t-phd-student-wins-global-scholarship-combating-antibiotic-resistant-superbugs
Pls, do remember Biafra as you grow in greatness. Many more of our brilliant youth have been abandoned. We can together make a change.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: *sacrificing Merit For Ethno-religious Sentiments, I Weep For My Country by Front0lane: 9:18am On Mar 09, 2020
This article is not what was written on the school website so what happened ? The young man is making waves in Canada no doubt but you are making lies with is name here on NL.

This article here on NL not a single paragraph corrolate with article on the school website by the Chidozie Ojobor or you are at your mischievous best to promote propaganda n hate as always OP ?

There is no single sentence by the guy on Jonathan or being denied any scholarship at least not on the school website you included here.

eugyno:
I weep for my country:

Sad!

Chidozie Ojobor''

Re: *sacrificing Merit For Ethno-religious Sentiments, I Weep For My Country by PicLtd: 10:01am On Mar 09, 2020
Front0lane:
This article is not what was written on the school website so what happened ? The young man is making waves in Canada no doubt but you are making lies with is name here on NL.

This article here on NL not a single paragraph corrolate with article on the school website by the Chidozie Ojobor or you are at your mischievous best to promote propaganda n hate as always OP ?

There is no single sentence by the guy on Jonathan or being denied any scholarship at least not on the school website you included here.

If you are not a misfortunate buharideen muslim like rossinnki and the other idiot that call himself area4area, you would be more interested in why your daft presidiot is always more interested in pushing for federal character to fill every slot with almajeris where merit is called for and totally marginalizing other regions when loans are taken to be shared.

Some of you hypocritical pro-buhari cockroaches deserve to be tied up and shot mercilessly.

I have always said it that every Igbo man outside this country should become pro-Biafran, get the best of education, strive very hard, build an impeccable profile, become citizens of US, Canada, Europe, Australia and go into the politics of those countries to become leaders there.

These are countries that strike fear into the hearts of these hopeless almajiris. Just imagine an Igbo man winning the presidency of US, tell me if these demented almajiris won't be running all over the place to take cover. Nothing is impossible.

For Biafra to break out of the cesspit, a higher power is needed to bear down on the necks of these almajiris.
Re: *sacrificing Merit For Ethno-religious Sentiments, I Weep For My Country by Front0lane: 2:34pm On Mar 09, 2020
I should be more concerned about a lunatic igbo that came to post falsehood out of bigotry. Foolish igbo like you push people to the limit of supporting what is clearly wrong but just not to be as foolish as many of you I will reiterate my point.

I do not support federal character rubbish ahead of merit but this article is pure falsehood. It as nothing to do with merit. The guy got scholarship n went on to achieve great things. Good for him n great for the Igbos n Nigeria as well till we part.

But lunatic Igbo lying Buhari denied him FG scholarship is totally false n that is what my comment is about. Igbo will not be allowed to build bigotry hatred n acute foolishness on falsehood they'd later claim as fact in the future.

My opposing this article in it entirety is for future essence so that anyone that can not visit the school website the OP included know not a single sentence from this article was included in the article on the school website so the OP should be known for the fraudulent lunatic that he is.

That aside no tribes is more bigoted than the Igbos. HausaFulani de learn work for where una de. Check any ministry being led by Igbo and watch how you Igbos purge evwey other tribe from such ministry.

Stella Oduah as aviation minister is a typical mad bigotey / hate infected Igbo on display. Read about how she sacked all know igbo in the ministry n populated it with 99.987% Igbos.

[s]
PicLtd:

If you are not a misfortunate buharideen muslim like rossinnki and the other idiot that call himself area4area, you would be more interested in why your daft presidiot is always more interested in pushing for federal character to fill every slot with almajeris where merit is called for and totally marginalizing other regions when loans are taken to be shared.

Some of you hypocritical pro-buhari cockroaches deserve to be tied up and shot mercilessly.

I have always said it that every Igbo man outside this country should become pro-Biafran, get the best of education, strive very hard, build an impeccable profile, become citizens of US, Canada, Europe, Australia and go into the politics of those countries to become leaders there.

These are countries that strike fear into the hearts of these hopeless almajiris. Just imagine an Igbo man winning the presidency of US, tell me if these demented almajiris won't be running all over the place to take cover. Nothing is impossible.

For Biafra to break out of the cesspit, a higher power is needed to bear down on the necks of these almajiris.
[/s]
Re: *sacrificing Merit For Ethno-religious Sentiments, I Weep For My Country by obailala(m): 3:30pm On Mar 09, 2020
Sadly, this is the fate of Nigeria. Federal character has always been a recipe for perpetual backwardness.
Re: *sacrificing Merit For Ethno-religious Sentiments, I Weep For My Country by eugyno: 5:54pm On Mar 15, 2020
obailala:
Sadly, this is the fate of Nigeria. Federal character has always been a recipe for perpetual backwardness.

Hmmmmm

(1) (Reply)

APC Kicks Against Godfatherism. Edo 2020 / Buhari's Indecision Responsible For The Spread Of Coronavirus In Nigeria / Corona Virus: Like Iran, Our Politicians Are Getting Hit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.