Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,679 members, 7,816,780 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em (1936 Views)

Oluwo Akanbi Faces Dethronement As Criminal Past Of Deported Monarch Emerges / Photos Of Oba Elegushi, Ooni Of Ife And Oluwo Of Iwo Land / The Uneme People And The Curse Of Oba Egbeka Of Benin Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by dietola01(m): 9:35pm On Mar 09, 2020
There is an ongoing debate about the power of Oba of Benin regards the dethronement of Emir Sanusi..

what do you guys think?

Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by dietola01(m): 9:36pm On Mar 09, 2020

Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by lilprinze: 9:37pm On Mar 09, 2020
People tend to underestimate the power a governor has in a country like Nigeria.
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by Nobody: 9:40pm On Mar 09, 2020
Silly argument in my opinion.

The constitution of the country vests more power in the state governor than in any traditional ruler.

The Oba of Benin can be dethroned.

Simple as A, B, C.

2 Likes

Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by juvewalex(m): 9:48pm On Mar 09, 2020
An Oba can only control his small portion of domain if I may put it that way to some extent while an elected governor of a state controls every corner that falls within the state.

No Oba in Nigeria can mess with an elected governor or president and aslo state laws override any traditional laws .
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by ojun50(m): 10:01pm On Mar 09, 2020
Sanusi no get level, edo govern no there treat oba of like dat.
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by ojun50(m): 10:02pm On Mar 09, 2020
Sanusi no get level, edo govern no there treat oba of benin ĺike dat
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by Pub65: 10:07pm On Mar 09, 2020
Oba if begin cannot be dethroned
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by sapientia(m): 10:09pm On Mar 09, 2020
First.. Am not from Edo.

But from the much I have read about the Oba, its not something any Gov can attempt.

Cos no matter you do, Benin will recognize him as Oba and anyone you appoint is just scratching curses.

Oba of Benin is not like Emir and Sultan which has always been political.

Benin is Oba and Oba is Benin.

You can't dethrone Benin.

Edited. Tell me any tribe who holds their King in high esteem like the Benin's holds the Oba.

Its more of spiritual thing

8 Likes

Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by limeta(f): 10:13pm On Mar 09, 2020
juvewalex:
An Oba can only control his small portion of domain if I may put it that way to some extent while an elected governor of a state controls every corner that falls within the state.

No Oba in Nigeria can mess with an elected governor or president and aslo state laws override any traditional laws .

Truth be told no governor in edo state can try such even his own people will disown him

All his family members .father.mother brothes sisters will deny him

1 Like

Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by newsgerian: 10:20pm On Mar 09, 2020
limeta:

Truth be told no governor in edo state can try such even his own people will disown him

All his family members .father.mother brothes sisters will deny him
You are very correct .
Oba of Benin can never be replaced .
If the British couldn’t, no governor can date.

One certain foolish Igbo military governor that ruled Bendel state once tried to suspend the former Oba.... go and read what happened to him and his family last last.

3 Likes

Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by iokpebholo: 10:24pm On Mar 09, 2020
That was how oshiomonle foolishly dethroned my king(Onojie of Uromi)Omon nobody send am,he continue functioning as d king with d full support of d people while Oshiomonle was busy fooling himself in Benin

2 Likes

Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by Sirjamo: 10:26pm On Mar 09, 2020
Spear me these Bullcrap. The Oba might not be removed for flimsy things like Sanusi was, but if he commit a serious crime like rape or murder, would he still retain his throne?
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by Rashawn1: 10:29pm On Mar 09, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:

The constitution of the country vests more power in the state governor than in any traditional ruler.

Simple as A, B, C.
[/s]
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by Homeboiy: 10:34pm On Mar 09, 2020
lipsrsealed
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by Odingo1: 10:41pm On Mar 09, 2020
newsgerian:

You are very correct .
Oba of Benin can never be replaced .
If the British couldn’t, no governor can date.

One certain foolish Igbo military governor that ruled Bendel state once tried to suspend the former Oba.... go and read what happened to him and his family last last.
Which year, the oba did something to warrant the action of the military governor. Military man don’t take shiit
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:42pm On Mar 09, 2020
FrLukas:

Simple as A, B, C.

There is constitution. Then there is reality.
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by rexel99: 10:54pm On Mar 09, 2020
Small children everywhere spitting garbage.

Common Gov. Onyerugbulem suspended oba erediuwa himself and removed him as the chair of the Edo traditional council in 1998, and heaven did not fall, neither did the so called Benin jazz save the Oba from the humiliation Gov Onyerugbulem handed him.

No institution is bigger than the state.

1 Like

Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by nameo: 10:55pm On Mar 09, 2020
Benin is one place that no Gov can mess around talkless of removing the Oba.

To imagine that is even impossible. Believe me.

The only way that can happne is if tbe Oba commits a crime that ia so grievous that it demeans the institution of the Obaship.

If that happens, it is the chiefs in Benin that would demand the coded "suicide" of that Oba and his replacement by his first son.
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by chriskosherbal(m): 11:06pm On Mar 09, 2020
Sirjamo:
Spear me these Bullcrap. The Oba might not be removed for flimsy things like Sanusi was, but if he commit a serious crime like rape or murder, would he still retain his throne?
All these comments am reading am just laughing, do you know who is OBA of Benin, he is a Diety himself, sirjamo, listen it cannot be said that he committed a crime, read thru that statement carefully, he is not on appointment or elected is a spiritual MANDATE.
I am a son of the soil and I stayed in that land for years, at a time people were dying in a certain overhead bridge covering a river, accidents and the likes, he came there and said he does not want to hear about it again and that was all till date.

According to my Dad in 1978/79 when the OBA died and the OBA who is the father of this present OBA was being installed it was announced that all men indigene or non should have thier hair shaved to the ground (Abolo),everybody shave, see thier two main real kingdoms recognised in the world, we have the Bini kingdom & British Kingdom.

So pls most of you are speaking out of ignorance, any governor wen dey crase make e go try himself Na, say an ordinary governor wen if e too much Na 8years e go last go dethrone OBA come send am go exile...Hahaha he won't live to tell the story before finishing the statement from his mouth.
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by Sammy07: 11:10pm On Mar 09, 2020
If sultan of sokoto can be dethroned..

Oba of Benin can also be dethroned
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by agbangam: 11:11pm On Mar 09, 2020
rexel99:
Small children everywhere spitting garbage.

Common Gov. Onyerugbulem suspended oba erediuwa himself and removed him as the chair of the Edo traditional council in 1998, and heaven did not fall, neither did the so called Benin jazz save the Oba from the humiliation Gov Onyerugbulem handed him.

No institution is bigger than the state.

And have you read about the calamity that fell on Gov. Onyergbulem?? Baba, Oba of Benin is not like those other ceremonial kings in Nigeria that can be tossed anyhow.

1 Like

Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by Sirjamo: 11:12pm On Mar 09, 2020
chriskosherbal:
All these comments am reading am just laughing, do you know who is OBA of Benin, he is a Diety himself, sirjamo, listen it cannot be said that he committed a crime, read thru that statement carefully, he is not on appointment or elected is a spiritual MANDATE.
I am a son of the soil and I stayed in that land for years, at a time people were dying in a certain overhead bridge covering a river, accidents and the likes, he came there and said he does not want to hear about it again and that was all till date.

According to my Dad in 1978/79 when the OBA died and the OBA who is the father of this present OBA was being installed it was announced that all men indigene or non should have thier hair shaved to the ground (Abolo),everybody shave, see thier two main real kingdoms recognised in the world, we have the Bini kingdom & British Kingdom.

So pls most of you are speaking out of ignorance, any governor wen dey crase make e go try himself Na, say an ordinary governor wen if e too much Na 8years e go last go dethrone OBA come send am go exile...Hahaha he won't live to tell the story before finishing the statement from his mouth.
The British man that removed your Oba in 1914, I didn't read it anywhere that he died or disappeared.
Just advice him to continue to respect himself and stay away from crime and politics, otherwise, the governor would remove him in five minutes and nothing would happen.

BTW, you haven't answer my question: If you Oba rape or kill someone, would the law still allow him to retain his throne?
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by rexel99: 11:13pm On Mar 09, 2020
chriskosherbal:

Did your father forget to tell you that the Oba who is the father of the present Oba was once disgraced and suspended from the Edo traditional council by a Governor in 1998?

If the Oba was so powerful to stop people from dying as you claim, how come he couldn't use his mystical powers to stop lucky igbinedion from raping the state dry?

Be wise my friend and think rationally. This goes to others like you that have challenges engaging there mind to think critically.
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by chriskosherbal(m): 11:15pm On Mar 09, 2020
Sirjamo:
The British man that removed your Oba in 1914, I didn't read it anywhere that he died or disappeared.
Just advice him to continue to respect himself and stay away from crime and politics, otherwise, the governor would remove him in five minutes and nothing would happen.

BTW, you haven't answer my question: If you Oba rape or kill someone, would the law still allow him to retain his throne?
Oga I don't want to exchange words with cos you will never understand, BTW, you haven't answer my question: If you Oba rape or kill someone, would the law still allow him to retain his throne?, someone answered before my comments, the chiefs will codely dethrone him, they will never allow the OBA's name or the throne to be rubbed with mud, never!!!...

We are not talking of some...King from this from the family this year and next year another family...nah, this is far beyond your reasoning bro...
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by rexel99: 11:17pm On Mar 09, 2020
agbangam:

And have you read about the calamity that fell on Gov. Onyergbulem?? Baba, Oba of Benin is not like those other ceremonial kings in Nigeria that can be tossed anyhow.

What calamity? He died like every mortal and that was years after he left as a Governor.

Why didn't the Benin gods or oba decree instant death on him while he was diagracing the Oba up and down?
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by AfroBeatDiary: 11:20pm On Mar 09, 2020
I'm reluctant to do this but seems its the only means I have. I'm a struggling vlogger, pls subscribe to my channel, I need 391 more subscribers to be able to monetize contents, I have reached the 4000hrs milestone over a month and currently close to 5k but couldn't earn a cent because I need 1k subscribers cry cry cry

I see every subscription as a token of donation, thanks
www.YouTube.com/AfricanDiaryTV
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by Sirjamo: 11:21pm On Mar 09, 2020
rexel99:

Did your father forget to tell you that the Oba who is the father of the present Oba was once disgraced and suspended from the Edo traditional council by a Governor in 1998?

If the Oba was so powerful to stop people from dying as you claim, how come he couldn't use his mystical powers to stop lucky igbinedion from raping the state dry?

Be wise my friend and think rationally. This goes to others like you that have challenges engaging there mind to think critically.
Let him continue to deceive himself.
Someone wants to come here and tell me that a governor cannot remove the Oba because he has some 6 million years old spiritual power.
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by chriskosherbal(m): 11:22pm On Mar 09, 2020
Sammy07:
If sultan of sokoto can be dethroned..

Oba of Benin can also be dethroned
Bro you got it all wrong they are not in the same spiritual Acadia, both have different spiritual roots and set up. Let's be guilded, no disrespect to the sultan of sokoto.
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by Sammy07: 11:27pm On Mar 09, 2020
chriskosherbal:
Bro you got it all wrong they are not in the same spiritual Acadia, both have different spiritual roots and set up. Let's be guilded, no disrespect to the sultan of sokoto.

Brother, the sultan control millions of people more than Oba of Benin...
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by ruggedtimi(m): 2:36am On Mar 10, 2020
lol!! Queen Of England can as well be dethroned by the parliament who be oba of benin? So much hype
Re: Ongoing Debate About The Power Of Oba Of Benin As Regards The Dethronement Of Em by ruggedtimi(m): 2:42am On Mar 10, 2020
chriskosherbal:
two main real kingdoms recognised in the world, we have the Bini kingdom & British Kingdom
grin how you go place bini kingdom alongside British Kingdom Dem no be mates in anyway.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Is Dead. See Photos Of His 13 Beautiful Wives / Have You Ever Called Your Parents Thier Real Name? / Comforting A Bereaved Person Right....... Thots Of Lara Wise(the Broadcaster)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.