Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Blasts As Afghanistan Swears In Two Presidents - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Blasts As Afghanistan Swears In Two Presidents (486 Views)

If USA Gets Down, The World Will Be As Peaceful As Afghanistan(pics) / Meet The Tallest And Shortest Presidents In U.S.A, Both Lawyers / Raila Odinga Swears Himself In As Kenya 'President' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blasts As Afghanistan Swears In Two Presidents by WonderManly(m): 4:42am On Mar 10, 2020
Afghanistan lurched deeper into political crisis Monday as the country’ s two rival leaders swore themselves in as president at simultaneous ceremonies that were interrupted by at least two blasts .
The bitter feud between President Ashraf Ghani and his former chief executive Abdullah Abdullah has raised fears for Afghanistan ’ s fragile democracy as the US prepares to leave the country following an agreement last month with a strong and largely unified Taliban .
Polls were held in September , but repeated delays and accusations of voter fraud meant that Ghani , the incumbent president , was only declared as the winner of the second term in February — sparking a furious response from Abdullah , who vowed to form his own parallel government .
On Monday Ghani , dressed in traditional Afghan clothing and white turban , arrived at the presidential palace to be sworn in , surrounded by supporters , senior political figures , diplomats and foreign dignitaries including US special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad .
Minutes later , in another corner of the sprawling presidential palace compound , a suit - clad Abdullah inaugurated himself as president , vowing to “ safeguard the independence , national sovereignty, territorial integrity ” of Afghanistan .
As hundreds of people watched Ghani ’ s ceremony , two loud explosions were heard , prompting some people to flee .
There were no reports of casualties from the blasts , which mirrored a similar incident in August 2018 when militants fired several mortars as Ghani was making a speech at the palace , injuring six civilians .
“ I have no bulletproof vest on , only my shirt , ” Ghani told those who stayed behind as sirens wailed .
“ I will stay even if I have to sacrifice my head . ”
An AFP reporter saw many of those who fled return to their seats after Ghani ’ s refusal to leave the podium prompted cheers and applause .
The game of thrones has strained the patience of the international community and Afghans alike , with Washington warning earlier that the bickering posed a risk to the US withdrawal deal , which requires the Taliban to hold talks with Kabul .
Widening divisions among Afghan politicians would leave the insurgents with the upper hand in those negotiations .
The row has left many Afghans despairing for their country ’ s future .
“ It is impossible to have two presidents in one country, ” said Ahmad Jawed , 22 , who urged the men “ to put their personal interests aside and only think of their country instead of fighting for power ” .