Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,685 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Advice On Owning A Cat As A University Student - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Advice On Owning A Cat As A University Student (1076 Views)

Get Great Tips On Owning A Pet / I Want A Cat As Pet. Wat Breed Should I Buy / Is It True That A Cat's Saliva Can Cause Permanent Blindness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Owning A Cat As A University Student by tobstarizhia(m): 12:45am On Mar 11, 2020
Hi guys. I'm thinking of getting a cat. I'm a university student, and I live off campus in a single room with two roommate. Though the hostel is more like a hall with a large compound.
Do you think it's advisable?
Also, I've been wondering on how I'll take my cat home during the holiday. I normally take public transport and I don't want to spook passengers with my cat. What do I do?
Any one with past experience in this?
Re: Advice On Owning A Cat As A University Student by Ladylite: 12:57am On Mar 11, 2020
tobstarizhia:
Hi guys. I'm thinking of getting a cat. I'm a university student, and I live off campus in a single room with two roommate. Though the hostel is more like a hall with a large compound.
Do you think it's advisable?
Also, I've been wondering on how I'll take my cat home during the holiday. I normally take public transport and I don't want to spook passengers with my cat. What do I do?
Any one with past experience in this?

You don't have serious bookwork to attend to. You are in school and you want to feel at home.... Something is definitely wrong with you.

Man up or grow up. The essence of being in school is focus. You don't need a cat.

You need to analyze your choices psychologically so you don't present yourself as weird

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice On Owning A Cat As A University Student by Nobody: 1:14am On Mar 11, 2020
I don't see anything wrong in your keeping a cat in the perspective the comment above suggests. Having a pet as a student doesn't make you an unserious student. It all depends on how you manage your time and what you want for yourself. OP, nothing is wrong with you.

Cat's are less demanding than dogs to take care of so I don't see much work here. The most you can do is feeding and taking it to the vet. The cat will take care of the rest itself.

Being that you have roommates, I suggest you discuss this with them so your pet won't inconvenience them in any way. Also, you should find out what the policy is on owning a pet in the lodge you reside and be properly guided.

For transport, you can always get these square plastic baskets with a cover they sell in the market and carry your feline friend with you.

5 Likes

Re: Advice On Owning A Cat As A University Student by tobstarizhia(m): 1:46am On Mar 11, 2020
Ladylite:

You don't have serious bookwork to attend to. You are in school and you want to feel at home.... Something is definitely wrong with you.

Man up or grow up. The essence of being in school is focus. You don't need a cat.

You need to analyze your choices psychologically so you don't present yourself as weird

That's like your opinion. Anyways, you mustn't have lived in school because I know lots of folks with pets. I like cats and I already spend most of my time indoors (when I'm not receiving lectures) so it's no problem. besides I'm in my final semester in final year so I won't be in school for long.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Owning A Cat As A University Student by tobstarizhia(m): 1:56am On Mar 11, 2020
Bubewilson:
I don't see anything wrong in your keeping a cat in the perspective the comment above suggests. Having a pet as a student doesn't make you an unserious student. It all depends on how you manage your time and what you want for yourself. OP, nothing is wrong with you.

Cat's are less demanding than dogs to take care of so I don't see much work here. The most you can do is feeding and taking it to the vet. The cat will take care of the rest itself.

Being that you have roommates, I suggest you discuss this with them so your pet won't inconvenience them in any way. Also, you should find out what the policy is on owning a pet in the lodge you reside in and be properly guided.

For transport, you can always get these square plastic baskets with a cover they sell in the market and carry your feline friend with you.

I just checked the rules sheet. It states that due to unsanitary reasons, tenants aren't allowed to own pets in or around the hostel area. But cats aren't dirty right? Is there something I should do? maybe convince the Landlady or something? I don't want to have to move to another hostel as I am about done with school. But I have to have a cat
Re: Advice On Owning A Cat As A University Student by chatinent: 2:36am On Mar 11, 2020
Simply, you can't really have a pet; there'll be less time to care for it. Secondly, a cat? Wouldn't people begin to see you as a wizard (in a typical Nigerian setting?)

1 Like

Re: Advice On Owning A Cat As A University Student by tobstarizhia(m): 7:26am On Mar 11, 2020
chatinent:
Simply, you can't really have a pet; there'll be less time to care for it. Secondly, a cat? Wouldn't people begin to see you as a wizard (in a typical Nigerian setting?)

If they saw me as a wizard, that'll be really cool. Again I know a lot of people who keep pets in school. one friend of mine already owns a cat. I'm going to ask her these questions today. I'm looking for answers from those that already keep pets in school or have owned pets in school

1 Like

Re: Advice On Owning A Cat As A University Student by JohnasI: 1:17pm On Mar 30, 2020
Before buying a cat I'd advise you to ask your roommates if they have allergies or not. Then get prepared. You have to take into account many aspects of proper pet keeping. Read this article about cats and why they get stressed. I bet it's gonna be useful for you. Don't forget to read about feeding, cleaning, their illnesses, and so on.
Re: Advice On Owning A Cat As A University Student by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 02, 2020
Ladylite:

always concerned about how people see you mtcheew crazy haŕlot
Re: Advice On Owning A Cat As A University Student by Ladylite: 4:45pm On Apr 02, 2020
beardlessdude:
always concerned about how people see you mtcheew crazy haŕlot

My customer

(1) (Reply)

Pitweiler For Sale (rott*pitbull) Mix / Pup / I Need A Rottweiler Puppy (female)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.