Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,516 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards (868 Views)

No Cattle Will Roam About In 24 Months – Buhari / Lagos-ibadan Expressway Ready In 24 Months –fashola / First Building On Eko Atlantic City Ready In 24 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by lagbaja(m): 9:51am On Dec 23, 2010
justice my foot. The same country where corrupt leaders steals billions without a blink and the law never catches up with them.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201012233385454

A 22- year-old man, Friday Orji, has been sentenced to 24 months imprisonment for stealing recharge cards valued at N2,500.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria, the convict, who was arraigned before an Asaba Chief Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday pleaded guilty to the two-count charge against him.

The Police Prosecutor, Mr. Imeh Iyang, told the court that the convict committed the offence on November 30, at 2, Oliko Street off Anwai Road in Asaba.

Iyang also told the court that the convict on the same day and place broke into the store of Mr. John Nnaba of the same address.

He said the offence was punishable under Section 413 (2) of the Criminal Code Cap 48 Vol. II Laws of the defunct Bendel State as applicable to Delta State.

He further told the court that the convict on the same day and place, stole 16 N100 MTN recharge cards valued at N1, 600 and nine Zain recharge cards valued at N900.

In her judgment, the Chief Magistrate, Mrs. Helen Okonkwo-Ikeh, said, “In passing sentence, I take into consideration the principles governing sentencing.

“The accused from all indication appears to be a first time offender as no previous record of him is before the court.

“I also consider his plea for mitigation, I therefore sentence him accordingly: For count one, I sentence him to 18 months in prison without an option of fine.

“For count two, I sentence him to six months in prison without an option of fine and the sentence are to run concurrently.”
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by philip0906(m): 9:56am On Dec 23, 2010
small thief big trouble,big thief small trouble. . .only in Nigeria
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by ULSHERLAN(m): 11:17am On Dec 23, 2010
How much recharge card did he steal for deservin dat kinda treatment eventhough its not gud to steal but in a case whereby pple steal or embezzle huge sums and go scot free is uncalled for
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by sunboy(m): 11:23am On Dec 23, 2010
So stole billions of naira and end up in 6months jail, while 2500 worth of recharge card at 24 months.
I wouldnt mind stealing a billion naira too, then after the 6months i continue spending my money.

Justice my a.s.s!!!
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by Gbawe: 11:34am On Dec 23, 2010
This is the kind of justice system that emerges and thrives under an ultra elitist , hideously callous and totally anti-people political Party such as the PDP. The PDP does not pretend to view ordinary Nigerians as better than animals in the street . This is why the representatives of the Party , not caring about average Nigerians, steal everything that can be looted for themselves ,their family and Party minions. On the odd occasion when one of their own is brought to justice for stealing then everything must be done to ensure he/she must get a soft landing because "we all steal and that could be us tomorrow". This is why the likes of Igbinedion is fined for stealling billions while this unfortunate "nobody" is sent to prison for 18 months because he stole recharge card worth N2,500.
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by Nobody: 11:44am On Dec 23, 2010
And how many years did aunty cecelia get ?
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by SkyBlue1: 11:49am On Dec 23, 2010
Gbawe:

This is the kind of justice system that emerges and thrives under an ultra elitist , hideously callous and totally anti-people political Party such as the PDP. The PDP does not pretend to view ordinary Nigerians as better than animals in the street . This is why the representatives of the Party , not caring about average Nigerians, steal everything that can be looted for themselves ,their family and Party minions. On the odd occasion when one of their own is brought to justice for stealing then everything must be done to ensure he/she must get a soft landing because "we all steal and that could be us tomorrow". This is why the likes of Igbinedion is fined for stealling billions while this unfortunate "nobody" is sent to prison for 18 months because he stole recharge card worth N2,500.

I think your rant is misplaced in this case. The PDP did not sentence this man a judge did, so why turn a blind eye to the judiciary and blame the PDP?
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by az77zy(m): 12:09pm On Dec 23, 2010
Which kind country be this. What of those who steal 25% of our national budget. Na wa oh
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by justise: 12:12pm On Dec 23, 2010
lagbaja:

justice my foot. The same country where corrupt leaders steals billions without a blink and the law never catches up with them.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201012233385454

A 22- year-old man, Friday Orji, has been sentenced to 24 months imprisonment for stealing recharge cards valued at N2,500.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria, the convict, who was arraigned before an Asaba Chief Magistrate’s Court [/b]on Tuesday pleaded guilty to the two-count charge against him.

The Police Prosecutor, [b]Mr. Imeh Iyang
, told the court that the convict committed the offence on November 30, at 2, Oliko Street off Anwai Road in Asaba.

Iyang also told the court that the convict on the same day and place broke into the store of Mr. John Nnaba of the same address.

He said the offence was punishable under Section 413 (2) of the Criminal Code Cap 48 Vol. II Laws of the defunct Bendel State as applicable to Delta State.

He further told the court that the convict on the same day and place, stole 16 N100 MTN recharge cards valued at N1, 600 and nine Zain recharge cards valued at N900.

In her judgment, the Chief Magistrate, Mrs. Helen Okonkwo-Ikeh, said, “In passing sentence, I take into consideration the principles governing sentencing.

“The accused from all indication appears to be a first time offender as no previous record of him is before the court.

“I also consider his plea for mitigation, I therefore sentence him accordingly: For count one, I sentence him to 18 months in prison without an option of fine.

“For count two, I sentence him to six months in prison without an option of fine and the sentence are to run concurrently.”

Omo ngbatl, I hope you are taking note!
My people dont to shyyt like that!

Capiche?
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by jamace(m): 1:16pm On Dec 23, 2010
Na small thief body our judges dey show professionalism. When dem see hardened criminals, dey will do paddy paddy. God dey o angry angry sad sad
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by texazzpete(m): 6:53pm On Dec 23, 2010
I don't know what you people are talking about.
The 24 months sentence is deserved. it doesn't matter if other judges hand down lenient sentences to mega crooked politicians. At least one Judge did the right thing in sentencing a crook who broke into an innocent man's shop and attempted to make away with his rightful property.

Who knows what impact the N2,500 would have made to the well being of the shop owner? Abeg if you want to complain about lenient sentences to the rich, go ahead. but this man deserves his fate.
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by slap1(m): 7:07pm On Dec 23, 2010
texazzpete:

The 24 months sentence is deserved. it doesn't matter if other judges hand down lenient sentences to mega crooked politicians. At least one Judge did the right thing in sentencing a crook who broke into an innocent man's shop and attempted to make away with his rightful property.

Who knows what impact the N2,500 would have made to the well being of the shop owner? Abeg if you want to complain about lenient sentences to the rich, go ahead. but this man deserves his fate.
Nobody said otherwise. However, in a country like Naija, you simply can't help the comparism.
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by seanet02: 7:54pm On Dec 23, 2010
In a country that Cecilia Ibru stoled N100 billion naira Plus and was sentenced to Just Six Months in prison. Is this Fair?
This country is Finished No More Remedy for it
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by xterra2(m): 8:16pm On Dec 23, 2010
^^ 6 x 3 = 18
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by redsun(m): 2:07pm On Dec 25, 2010
Bode george got two years for stealing how many billion naira please?Nigerian justice system is as sick as the politician.It is as primitive and irrational as nigerian politics.
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by SEFAGO(m): 2:40pm On Dec 25, 2010

Who knows what impact the N2,500 would have made to the well being of the shop owner?
Abeg if you want to complain about lenient sentences to the rich, go ahead. but this man deserves his fate.

Not as much impact as politicians stealing billions would have on 120 million Nigerians. Lets be honest crime only pays in Nigeria when its done on the big scale. Chinua Achebe figured that out when he wrote "No longer at ease."

The guy could have taken a better approach, and run for council local chairman, so that he could have the right to steal legally. N2,500 ($20) is not worth a 24 month sentence. Life is not that easy to buy we get only 80 max, and you take 2 for 2500
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by Yorubah(m): 3:44pm On Dec 26, 2010
Fuckin country, why jail a babe thief when them grandpas (Politicians) out there walking freely in the street. Error country
Re: Man Gets 24 Months Imprisonment For Stealing Recharge Cards by medjai(m): 5:31pm On Dec 26, 2010
Wow! Same sentence as Bode George's

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Will Defeat Jonathan In South South / Ibori’s Uk Lawyer Sentenced To 7 Years In Prison / Nigerian First Lady speaks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.