Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,939 members, 7,956,533 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:30 PM

Covid-19 And Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Covid-19 And Nigeria (275 Views)

NCC Clears Doubts Over 5G, COVID-19 And Security / Coronavirus(covid-19) And Your Cooking Gas(lpg) Cylinder / Shocking Cure For Covid 19 And The Big Problem Nigeria Is About To Face Dis Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Covid-19 And Nigeria by Nobody: 1:20pm On Mar 15, 2020
Not even Nigerian pastors with their penchant for predicting things could've seen this coming. That in less than three months into the year, the world will be in turmoil, and populations facing the risk of getting wiped out. I can only imagine how the pastor who would've predicted this would be feeling today. Interestingly, the one that boasted about fighting Covid-19 when it was still ravaging China has suddenly gone quiet since Nigeria recorded its first case. He didn't even have to go to China to meet the virus, the virus made landfall to meet him,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9VzwynL5YI

and just like that, we heard nothing about him. The news about the spread of the virus continue to be depressing, with situations around the world proving to be as dynamic and unpredictable as can be. This must be the first time where breaking news over the same subject changes almost on an hourly basis, including of high profile individuals contracting the disease.

Every city that considers itself worth its salt, has now been visited by the virus, hence it will be difficult for any city that has yet not recorded a case to claim to be in the top tier of cities. That is the way with cities, that both good and bad (evil) will not pass it by, and pandemics such as this strain of Corona Virus will most likely visit places with highly mobile populations, even though the victims may not be the very mobile of the lot. Also, the negative side of interconnectivity is unveiled at times like this, and is why governments the world over have resorted to some level of primitivity, in the extent they go to box in their countries, while shutting out the rest of the world.

As regards the very low figures in Africa's number of infected and victims so far, I would rather not rush to celebrate. I can only hope that what we are seeing isn't a slowly progressive rate of infection that may soon snowball geometrically and uncontrollably. Talk about melanin, or the heat or humidity etc remains figment of the imaginations of people bordering on the superstitious until proven otherwise. What I think is most likely is that, no matter how much we hate to admit the obvious, Africa records low influx of foreigners except those tourism destinations. Foreign direct investments remain low as the kind of business Africa wishes to be doing with the outside world hasn't been attained yet, despite the lies from governments there. Also, there hasn't been a flurry of activities when it comes to Corona Virus testing, as is done elsewhere. This means that many may be living with the virus, fall ill, recover, and a few will die without anyone linking the deaths to the novel Coronavirus Disease, Covid-19.

Whether this perceived state of affairs is helpful or not, only time will tell, but going by the hysteria that's on show on TV of Europe and China, I can only hope that we don't get there, because of how very disorganised some countries in Africa, including Nigeria is, and can be, even when there's no chaos, talk more having similar status in terms of level of infections and death. That position most Nigerians hold, that "what one doesn't know, doesn't kill one" may just save us at this time, because in spite of government's reassurance, many in the know are aware that we are not prepared for a major outbreak. It is only with this at the back of my mind, that I will not rush to criticise or correct those who believe Africans are somewhat immune to the virus for whatever reasons anyone could possibly come up with, with or without evidence to support such claims. I can only add that while we are at it, we should always have our hands washed with soap, which is simple and easily achievable compared to use of hand sanitisers and facemasks that does little to nothing in protecting anyone from this sort of virus.

For now, apart from the horror on screen, and news that seem like from planets and galaxies far away, the Corona Virus situation is for some Nigerians a joke, and almost no day passes without a picture, video, statement or comment on social media downplaying the seriousness of the matter,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es4iBYritN8

like Rudy Gobert did and today even the NBA, NCAA as well as other American sports have been suspended just because of his stupidity while being positive for the virus,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxtxIVtOZE

an attitude that appears not to seem un-American considering the levity with which the virus was been treated, even at the highest levels, for which a huge price is now being paid, as the response continue still to be uncoordinated and kneejerky.

For a few Nigerians, the story has hit home, especially for those who have relatives who cannot return from abroad, because of restrictions at their locations abroad, or can't travel out for events and activities that were long booked and made allowance for. Economically the country is in a quandry, with oil prices plummeting and the budget having to be tweaked to align with the realities of the time. For sports fans and the practitioners, this is the worst time to be alive, and while here I must add that it will be unfair to deny Liverpool FC its first premiership trophy in 30 years, but I'm quickly reminded that only the living can win and celebrate a trophy, therefore I temper my expectations. It is my hope that this passes, and speedily too.

'kovich

PICTURE CREDIT:
- https://sharemylesson.com

COVID-19 AND NIGERIA https://madukovich./2020/03/15/corona-virus-and-nigeria/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Corona Virus And Pregnancy / Coronavirus - How Your Immune System Can Defend You & Your Family From Covid-19 / Change Of Google Icon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.