Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

My America Journey... - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My America Journey... (3596 Views)

''Nigeria Is My America!" - Gambian Businesswoman In Lagos Declares (Video) / Thread For Launch America Journey Into Space (video + Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My America Journey... by alaborvik: 8:58am On Mar 16, 2020
I am writing this to let people back home know the reality of living in America. Before I left Nigeria I was working with MTN in Lagos and earning over 125k before tax. Though traveling out has always been on my mind but I didn't take it that serious. A friend told me about a seminar a traveling agent was putting together and he convinced me to raise the 300,000 naira needed to "try my luck" as he puts it. I gave him an upfront payment of 50k with an agreement to pay the balance if I am issued a visa. To my greatest surprise I went for the interview and the whole thing took less than 5 minutes. I was issued the visa after about only three questions. I didn't even had time to tender my resignation as I boarded a flight less than 10 days after picking up my passport. I traveled to America in 2015 with very high expectation. Even from the minute I touched down in New Jersey I started having doubts. My friend who agreed to accommodate me starting showing a strange attitude towards me less than 24 hrs in his house. He made life hell for me and I was forced to leave. He helped me with the connection to rent my own apartment using another person's name. I did all kind of jobs using people's document. I started seeing the desperation of Nigerians living here, even those with green card. I ran into a friend who won the visa lottery around 2011 and to be greatest surprised he was asking me money. He was sharing an apartment with a guy who came here 11 years ago.

My people America is not easy. When I visited Atlanta I found out most of my friends we attended LASU together were mainly into fraud and act as pickers for people. I was tempted to join them but I can't live a life of crime as it never ends well. Things got so bad for me and I had no option but to get married to an akata girl so I can upgrade my status. I pay the rent without her contributing a dime. She even invites her family members to come eat my food and sleep in the house. I am now a slave to this girl because of green card. Most blacks in America are very lazy and unproductive. I have many begged me for money to pay for their phones. Everyday I regret ever coming here, most of my co-workers back in MTN have visited on vacation and gone back to continue their career in Nigeria. Anytime they inform me they are coming I change my whats app number. My life was far better back in Nigeria. If only MTN will agree to take me back I will be on the next available flight back home. The bills here in America is crazy, and most people are left with just 100 dollars at the end of the month. Americans are not rich, in America 20 dollars is God. I wanted to make this long but hopeful I will share more light soon as the comments starts coming in. Thanks my dear readers

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My America Journey... by SpyAC(m): 9:02am On Mar 16, 2020
And me dey here dey do shakara say I wan go America chieeeee

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My America Journey... by alaborvik: 9:09am On Mar 16, 2020
SpyAC:
And me dey here dey do shakara say I wan go America chieeeee
It is not easy. The standard of living is far better than what we have in Nigeria but at a very high cost. And people back home will be expecting us to send them money. Imagine a friend telling me to send him 400k to set up a business. Where does he want me to get 400k from? I can't remember the last time I spent $200 on myself. That's over a thousand dollars for heaven's sake!

2 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by SoccerUSA(m): 9:09am On Mar 16, 2020
When you didn't have legal papers to back yourself up. You working with other people's info why won't life be miserable for you. Why not go through a student route get ur certificate marry legally(not for the green card) come here and tell us another story.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My America Journey... by tyup(m): 9:10am On Mar 16, 2020
Don't know why this story is Funny to me grin

I once had opportunity to travel to Texas just back in the same 2015. I got an invite by a former estate neighbor Parent said No that I almost fought my Dad for rejecting me from going and also seizing my Passport but today I can only say Thank you to him for stopping me

Rule 1. Don't be tooooo desperate to travel abroad it atimes doesn't usually end well

Rule 2. Always have something you can bounce back on incase situation nosedives

Rule 3. Na who never meet the right people dey always talk say 9ja hard

12 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by kellycute(m): 9:11am On Mar 16, 2020
Op update more please.
Re: My America Journey... by SpyAC(m): 9:16am On Mar 16, 2020
alaborvik:
It is not easy. The standard of living is far better than what we have in Nigeria but at a very high cost. And people back home will be expecting us to send them money. Imagine a friend telling me to send him 400k to set up a business. Where does he want me to get 400k from? I can't remember the last time I spent $200 on myself. That's over a thousand dollars for heaven's sake!
wow, that's the Nigeria mentality, everyone one in America is a don, I hv an uncle in merry land, whom I hv not eaten his bread bf, he even confess to me that he stop chatting with me thinking I will eventually ask for money from him, I jst laugh over it, but any way u will get there but it will take u time according to him,

1 Like

Re: My America Journey... by Nobody: 9:27am On Mar 16, 2020
people would never learn. they still want to go abroad without valid papers
Re: My America Journey... by Mizwisdom(f): 9:28am On Mar 16, 2020
Imagine someone asking for N400K even his Father will not give to him. OP, I like this thread, you're a good person. Don't mind that your lazy friend

2 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by regizoch(m): 9:37am On Mar 16, 2020
Bros... If u think say naija better pass United States, just enter flight come back home

7 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by bligs: 9:39am On Mar 16, 2020
SoccerUSA:
When you didn't have legal papers to back yourself up. You working with other people's info why won't life be miserable for you. Why not go through a student route get ur certificate marry legally(not for the green card) come here and tell us another story.
Even with all what you have listed, a high percentage of people can't boost of $10,000 as savings in their account, that is why most people are struggling to pay their study loan years after graduation and as for Nigerian immigrants, the exchange rate is what's helping most people. Above all, any first world country is better than naija.

tyup:
Don't know why this story is Funny to me grin

I once had opportunity to travel to Texas just back in the same 2015. I got an invite by a former estate neighbor Parent said No that I almost fought my Dad for rejecting me from going and also seizing my Passport but today I can only say Thank you to him for stopping me

Rule 1. Don't be tooooo desperate to travel abroad it atimes doesn't usually end well

Rule 2. Always have something you can bounce back on incase situation nosedives

Rule 3. Na who never meet the right people dey always talk say 9ja hard
The funny thing about naija is you can be billionaire overnight and if you belong to the minority extremely rich class, you find out that naija is the sweetest place on earth.

7 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by samuel19222(m): 9:55am On Mar 16, 2020
Obodo oyinbo
Re: My America Journey... by tyup(m): 10:01am On Mar 16, 2020
bligs:

The funny thing about naija is you can be billionaire overnight and if you belong to the minority extremely rich class, you find out that naija is the sweetest place on earth.

Ur not far from the Truth......over the years I've got to know the best way to succeed in this country is just meeting the right people or God sent helper

Bro many people out there got the key to riches but wount want to let it out......i knew this in 2017 when I had to travel in same bus to Kano with some guys who are into Legit business I had to cliq shap shap

11 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by opebiboy: 10:35am On Mar 16, 2020
This one is sounding like oga timesup or pidgin oh. mods where at thou?

2 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by Petyprincess(f): 10:53am On Mar 16, 2020
I love your sincerity! Yankee life isn't easy as people think bt they wnt listen,i have a close friend in Canada after spending millions in school for two years,he couldn't find a better job,the only job he could get is factory job,working as a factory worker nd earning 2,000CAD after subtracting bills,pay rent etc he is almost left with nothing!! Just imagine someone that did master doing petty job just to live this Canada life embarassed

8 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by EMEKUSBOY9(m): 11:45am On Mar 16, 2020
When u start thinking u can become rich over night in America

Hope dashed!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My America Journey... by uchman(m): 11:47am On Mar 16, 2020
alaborvik:
I am writing this to let people back home know the reality of living in America. Before I left Nigeria I was working with MTN in Lagos and earning over 125k before tax. Though traveling out has always been on my mind but I didn't take it that serious. A friend told me about a seminar a traveling agent was putting together and he convinced me to raise the 300,000 naira needed to "try my luck" as he puts it. I gave him an upfront payment of 50k with an agreement to pay the balance if I am issued a visa. To my greatest surprise I went for the interview and the whole thing took less than 5 minutes. I was issued the visa after about only three questions. I didn't even had time to tender my resignation as I boarded a flight less than 10 days after picking up my passport. I traveled to America in 2015 with very high expectation. Even from the minute I touched down in New Jersey I started having doubts. My friend who agreed to accommodate me starting showing a strange attitude towards me less than 24 hrs in his house. He made life hell for me and I was forced to leave. He helped me with the connection to rent my own apartment using another person's name. I did all kind of jobs using people's document. I started seeing the desperation of Nigerians living here, even those with green card. I ran into a friend who won the visa lottery around 2011 and to be greatest surprised he was asking me money. He was sharing an apartment with a guy who came here 11 years ago.

My people America is not easy. When I visited Atlanta I found out most of my friends we attended LASU together were mainly into fraud and act as pickers for people. I was tempted to join them but I can't live a life of crime as it never ends well. Things got so bad for me and I had no option but to get married to an akata girl so I can upgrade my status. I pay the rent without her contributing a dime. She even invites her family members to come eat my food and sleep in the house. I am now a slave to this girl because of green card. Most blacks in America are very lazy and unproductive. I have many begged me for money to pay for their phones. Everyday I regret ever coming here, most of my co-workers back in MTN have visited on vacation and gone back to continue their career in Nigeria. Anytime they inform me they are coming I change my whats app number. My life was far better back in Nigeria. If only MTN will agree to take me back I will be on the next available flight back home. The bills here in America is crazy, and most people are left with just 100 dollars at the end of the month. Americans are not rich, in America 20 dollars is God. I wanted to make this long but hopeful I will share more light soon as the comments starts coming in. Thanks my dear readers

Why dont you have a skill?
Ok, let's forget skill...

Why dont you want to go into Business?
You think money grows on tree?
No brother!
You must be doing something before money will come out from it...

While doing that petty job that pays $2000 or less,
Why not invest some part into business.
A lot of things are not expensive in US like
Used cars, used auto parts and others...
Move out and enquire from guys that send cars and car parts to Nigeria how they do it.

Maybe you want to carry big money at once or you are just lazy to move around and ask question.
50% or more of guys in US deals on used cars and auto parts...

You want to go back to MTN and be earning 125k... Hilarious

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: My America Journey... by Futuragetty: 12:29pm On Mar 16, 2020
Do you know how many people MTN Nig laid off last year?
Just dey your dey. Do not discourage young Nigerians.

8 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by bligs: 12:42pm On Mar 16, 2020
Petyprincess:
I love your sincerity! Yankee life isn't easy as people think bt they wnt listen,i have a close friend in Canada after spending millions in school for two years,he couldn't find a better job,the only job he could get is factory job,working as a factory worker nd earning 2,000CAD after subtracting bills,pay rent etc he is almost left with nothing!! Just imagine someone that did master doing petty job just to live this Canada life embarassed
Even with $100,000 as annual income, Las Vegas lifestyle as shown on TV is not achievable, haven said that, there is a different between quality of life and making money, the former is while most ppl are migrating.

1 Like

Re: My America Journey... by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:23pm On Mar 16, 2020
You are in the best country in the planet with a midst of opportunities and you are still complaining. Millions of Nigerians will die to be at your current level.

7 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by Cocao(f): 1:38pm On Mar 16, 2020
This is exactly what happens when you travel with the wrong intentions. If you have had the patience, and proper planning, you wont have to travel somewhere that you cannot be free.

It is not too late to turn your situation around though.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My America Journey... by jesmond3945: 2:25pm On Mar 16, 2020
alaborvik:

thats capitalism for you.

2 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by octavian(m): 2:26pm On Mar 16, 2020
This is exactly what happens when you travel with the wrong intentions. If you have had the patience, and proper planning, you wont have to travel somewhere that you cannot be free.

It is not too late to turn your situation around though.
Hmmm Sis, after wasting 4 years in obodo oyinbo... Where will he start from when comes back?
Re: My America Journey... by Gerrard59(m): 3:40pm On Mar 16, 2020
bligs:

This is a sufferhead mentality. So how many billionaires do you know who made it overnight through legal means? And why must everyone belong to a small elite before s/he enjoys his/her birthplace? Some of you should be realistic when writing here.

@OP: From the very moment ou mentioned "agent said pay this and that, I knew it won't end well". You did not go through the proper routes, how is that anyone's fault? You cannot hate a system that does not cater to your mode of entry.

15 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by bligs: 12:17am On Mar 17, 2020
Gerrard59:

This is a sufferhead mentality. So how many billionaires do you know who made it overnight through legal means? And why must everyone belong to a small elite before s/he enjoys his/her birthplace? Some of you should be realistic when writing here.

@OP: From the very moment ou mentioned "agent said pay this and that, I knew it won't end well". You did not go through the proper routes, how is that anyone's fault? You cannot hate a system that does not cater to your mode of entry.
Just because you haven't encountered any doesn't mean is not happening, you just have to come out of your cave and meet the right people.
* A distance cousin of mine was fortunate to meet someone during his NYSC days in PH and was given the opportunity to be servicing generators and supply of fuel to some branches of Intercontinental Banks (before they got problem) that was the genesis of his wealth.
* A family friend and we once live in same neighborhood met Fatgbems Petroleum children during his service year in South South and they show him all what it entails to be PMS and AGO supplier, dude is balling right now.
* A lot of guys i know that hit it big during GEJ era courtesy of Kinsley Kuku, same thing is happening in this Buhari era but everything is done codedly.
* I once work in an engineering firm before leaving naija providing services for FMCG, see how individuals are making it by providing services ranging from logistics, supply and others, i can go on and on.
All those buying properties and cars worth hundred of millions in naija, you think some are not legit or they got their money from yankee. Dude wake up from your slumber.

7 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by adigun98(m): 12:52am On Mar 17, 2020
@OP
NO one on here truly knows what you're going through there except yourself ,though you caused this on yourself because of desperation and proper planning but nonetheless mistakes happens and youve got to pull through it ..
Like someone suggested why not go into business and import some goods down here?

1 Like

Re: My America Journey... by Daverichie008: 2:37am On Mar 17, 2020
alaborvik:

This is one of them timesup and Co. Trust me.
Someone just created a new Nairaland account to push agenda. Obviously not everyone is having it rosy in the US but it's obvious this one is trying to push an agenda. Very obvious from the first paragraph.

If you're truly facing this then sorry you got yourself into this mess. Travelled with a visit visa, worked illegally with fake details then had to marry just for papers. Ask yourself, whose fault is all of that?

The other thing is, Nigerians in your kind of situation often move with the most useless sets of immigrants. So you'll believe every other immigrant is suffering or running things illegally like you.

6 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by shakol91(m): 3:00am On Mar 17, 2020
Daverichie008:

This is one of them timesup and Co. Trust me.
Someone just created a new Nairaland account to push agenda. Obviously not everyone is having it rosy in the US but it's obvious this one is trying to push an agenda. Very obvious from the first paragraph.

If you're truly facing this then sorry you got yourself into this mess. Travelled with a visit visa, worked illegally with fake details then had to marry just for papers. Ask yourself, whose fault is all of that?

The other thing is, Nigerians in your kind of situation often move with the most useless sets of immigrants. So you'll believe every other immigrant is suffering or running things illegally like you.
@ the bolded, everything he said sounds fake undecided
Re: My America Journey... by Nobody: 3:37am On Mar 17, 2020
uchman:

Why dont you have a skill?
Ok, let's forget skill...

Why dont you want to go into Business?
You think money grows on tree?
No brother!
You must be doing something before money will come out from it...

While doing that petty job that pays $2000 or less,
Why not invest some part into business.
A lot of things are not expensive in US like
Used cars, used auto parts and others...
Move out and enquire from guys that send cars and car parts to Nigeria how they do it.

Maybe you want to carry big money at once or you are just lazy to move around and ask question.
50% or more of guys in US deals on used cars and auto parts...

You want to go back to MTN and be earning 125k... Hilarious
My brother u know exactly what ure talking about. My friend stays in America hes from d east I got a car from him recently. He supplies cars to a lot of dealers here in anambra and imo state. He isn't doing badly at all on d average he sends down a minimum of 5 cars down to nigeria monthly. He has managed to build a good reputation for himself. He doesn't own a car stand so his cars are a bit cheaper than those sold by dealers if ure buying direct from him. Nigeria is d biggest Market for used cars in Africa. The Op should be open minded, there are challenges everywhere. If he could survive in nigeria ( a good training ground) I believe with honesty, hard work and God he should be able to break through in d states.

2 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by Nobody: 3:59am On Mar 17, 2020
alaborvik:

You still have friends in mtn don't worry they would take you back just go learn about fibre deployment.
Re: My America Journey... by chokey419(m): 6:34am On Mar 17, 2020
Op I understand what you going through I’ve heard the good the bad and the ugly. But you need to hold yourself accountable for your current predicament. Your Akata wife is probably ghetto in the first place and there’s a popular saying “as you lay your bed so you shall lay in it”. That been said you’re in the land of opportunity if you feel going back to Nigeria is your best bet good luck to you but personally I will advise you to calm down. Change your circle, move with like minds and most importantly try to upgrade your skills. Opportunities will eventually show up as you will have a reason to thank God. Unless you get sure connect for Naija no gawk yourself.

5 Likes

Re: My America Journey... by fergieboy: 7:29am On Mar 17, 2020
Open a thread on nairaland technology section and start offering a service of buying phones for people and shipping to Naija..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Relocating To Dubai: Advice Needed. / Nigeria On Google Maps /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.