Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years (40295 Views)

Nigeria’s FX Reserves Drop To $32bn — Lowest Level In Six Years / Gulf Of Guinea Piracy Falls To Lowest Since Q2 2019, NIMASA Reacts / Mele Kyari: Nigerians Should Prepare For 3 Months Trouble Over Oil Price Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by femarse: 11:19am On Mar 19, 2020
voltron14:

My initial response is the lack of creativity and productivity of the average Nigerian, however you seem more fixated on government.

I continue with my premise, Nigerians are unproductive and uninventive people.

Whatever shade you wish to colour it by, 60 years of nationhood underlines this fact.

Watch how he would swing it to politics.

I have not read the remainder of the thread to know if this your last statement has been answered

but here is my say

calm down very well
if a nation will be poverty ragged or developmentally ragged ...it will be solely decided by politics , I repeat it will be solely decided by politics

1 the type of people are the helms of government will decide how progressive the overall nation will be

when bill gate started working on window ...when all the Americans that works about most invention started back then ...when Europeans started their exploration of the other world ,they were all backed by government in one way or the other , (NASA is currently exploring Mars , backed massively by government , not individual)bill gate did not wake up to start thinking of electricity to try the new stuff he checked in the book yesterday , no , the light was there , he just went to his friend , power the system and start trying it ,(agreed bill gate was rich ) Steve thou went to an expensive University can not be said to be rich ....but trust me majority of certain things were just on ground made by the government chief among which is electricity to favour continued experiment that has now turn to a billion dollars industry today

the Chinese did not become industrialize overnight , it is a concise and intentional will of the government to make it so

the European did not become what it is today because Individual was inventive ...the government made an enabling environment to make individual inventive

Africa is wat it is because the people at the helm of government thinks been on government is the best way to become rich ....I mean which country is sound economically with a very poor and corrupt government officials ?

which country is succeeding economically with a president with O'level result packed with f9s or despicable subject like Arabic studies

it saddens that all the physics graduate are working in the bank when they should be fixing electricity ...how will they do that ? explain

many a times , I have read something and said when I get home , will try it on laptop ...guess what ?? when I get home , I only have three house on my battery before the laptop run down cos ? no electricity...yet the electricity bill at the end of the month is quite huge ...talk about useless people in government

until electricity is fixed , regardless of how inventive u want to be ...it will not succeed...or have u read anything in any real textbook where it was mentioned that a particular computer language or particular mechanized systems was developed by a Nigerian? no , no way , it's not possible , does it now mean all 200m of us are dull ? no way ...so what is the problem ?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by sam4noow(m): 11:20am On Mar 19, 2020
voltron14:

Subsidies would go this year.

The subsidies would go because a local alternative to imports, in the form of the Dangote refinery would come on stream. Of course, this may have to be reviewed based on how Covid-19 affects its take off.

I don't know how to communicate this, but as someone who travels quite a lot, the one thing I ask myself in every society i find myself is "why are these people so successful?" And I can only point to productivity as the reason.

We have cocoa but do not make chocolate.

We have hides and skin but we aren't known for leather works.

We must produce no matter the excuses.

Ohh Dammn Sh**tt niggggarrr

Sharrap dia my friend

you're just blabbing since...
I can see you support the motive that we re lazy and unproductive. I CAN SEE YOU'VE CONSTANT ELECTRICITY IN UR HOUSE... pls can you tell us what you've produced so far or what you've contributed to this Nation as a whole...

pls what do you even do for a living before I started blabbing too

3 Likes

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by wirelessmaster: 11:26am On Mar 19, 2020
Total Oil Lubricant LACTUCA MS 5000 for sale

Dear All,

We have large quantities of LACTUCA MS 5000 for sale.

The price is very negotiable.

Contact Systematic Ltd., Portharcourt Nigeria
08033046903, 09075467257, 08144690661

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by voltron14: 11:27am On Mar 19, 2020
Nairalandmonika:

You that's talking how much do u generate?
Let's start from there

Would you believe me if I told you?
Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Osidazz19: 11:30am On Mar 19, 2020
voltron14:

The populace is unimaginative, uneducated and highly unproductive.

This is the stark reality.

Take out this leader, bring in a new set, the situation would be the same until the people realise they aren't actually inventive.

May God bless you for the stating the obvious. Nigerians just like to lie to each other. They just want free this and that, no imagination, no inventions, no technological impact that the world can benefit from. Until you have a population like china where they are producing stuffs that have global or regional impact, you are doomed to your 3rd world existence. Bring in the brightest minds from Harvard, princeton and Yale combined to rule Nigeria and it will still be the Same. Bunch of religiously brainwashed none productive set of people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Nobody: 11:47am On Mar 19, 2020
voltron14:

How much is all of the Abacha loot from even when Obasanjo received it till date that you think it would balance our budget?

But Diezani stole up to $32billion dollars, an amount more than Abacha loot.

Let government use Diezani loot if Abacha loot has finished.

Remember, Osinbaj shared Abacha loot N10,000 per Nigerian. TraderMoni.
Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by xcabczyxabczzzz: 11:50am On Mar 19, 2020
ornicus:

I will say one thing though, the lack of imagination is partly due to environment. When your day to day life is consumed with basic survival and hustling for a meal, you cannot have the time to focus your imagination. If you have spent too much of your early years in poverty, you may never be able to develop a proper imagination
Lol, funny but very factual.
Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by AkupeMBANO(m): 11:51am On Mar 19, 2020
voltron14:

So it's the closure of borders of 6 months that rendered Nigerians unproductive for 60 years?
brilliant question.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Stephenomozzy(m): 11:54am On Mar 19, 2020
There was never a time Nigeria was known for making inventions!!

But there was a time when Nigeria was known for its great potentials and even the Naira was higher than the DOLLAR and equal to the pound!

It doesn't mean that we have to make technological inventions to have a viable economy. Year in year out, the government preaches ideas such as go back to agriculture and all that cheap talks, but what are the policies put on ground to make agriculture more viable and profitable to the people in its practice?

There is mining, tourism, human development that can be revamped by good policies that will not make venturing into these sectors a suicide mission.

We have a responsibility as a people to our nation, yes! But when the government has failed, it cannot even hold its people responsible because a mad man cannot cure another mad man!

Beyond the apocalyptic undertone of this corona virus thing, seeing economies crash, we just pray it doesn't hit us as hard as it is hitting other developed countries, na there you go see the true meaning of INEFFICIENCY OF OUR LEADERS. Thank God they have no where to run to. We LIVE OR DIE HERE!

2 Likes

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Westernlove: 12:02pm On Mar 19, 2020
vicdom:
embarassed
E don red now. This is the time our pseudo change and next level government should bring out all the audio recovered loots, trillions saved in TSA, customs and et al and fund our budget. I don't wanna hear story oooo. Because all these acclaimed monies are suffice for our budget funding. Very useless and clueless government with dimwitted zombies as apologists. undecided

Lol this guy dey Vex no be small....

1 Like

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by djon78(m): 12:02pm On Mar 19, 2020
michlins:
Until the masses get productive and pay enough tax, nothing is going to change. Our income is too minimal to effect the amount of change we desire. The opposition will make average person think the government on power are just sharing money. Give them power, and the reality will hit them. That's what happened to APC. Nigeria is poor. Quote me anywhere

Do you people even understand basic things.
So it's now the problem of the masses.
Creating wealth, creating enabling environment is the function of the government.

Then the masses can now be productive and pay tax.
But when government fails on its obligations, what do you expect the masses to do.

Anyway posterity will judge this present government.
Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by xcabczyxabczzzz: 12:07pm On Mar 19, 2020
Coldie:

In Nigeria if you are a young Nigerian into tech, Efcc would bust your house and brand you a yahoo boy without any reasonable proof. Then u would use the small money u are using to run the startup to bail yourself and get back to square one.

With confidence the govt doesn't give a fvck
Why can't you simply get a lawyer if you are legit. Why pay any useless bribe?

Register your company, pay your tax. And nobody would disturb you.
Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by isnovic(m): 12:22pm On Mar 19, 2020
kikero:

Actually,crude price has not favoured this government at all

Our Breakeven oil price, the price at which oil needs to be for us to earn a sufficient budget was 120 dollars per barrel in 2012, 122 dollars in 2015 and now 139 dollars in 2017.

Meanwhile oil under Buhari has been below 80 dollars since 2015, 75when he took over, 30 dollars in 2016, 80 dollars in 2018 and 27 dollars now.

We have a very large population above 150million which is why even though we produce as much as the UAE, we are not as rich as they are./(UAE has 12 million people max)

That's why Bubu takes loans by the way. The money we earn from oil is not enough and has never been for a while, even during GEJ time

That's why our future is being an industrial nation, and a nation that does not live by oil alone, and does not run on subsidies.

@Kekori you are actually not correct with the figures you quoted here here.
fact check:

It cost Nigeria approximately 14.10 USD to produce a barrel of crude oil.

see the following link:

https://knoema.com/rqaebad/cost-of-producing-a-barrel-of-crude-oil-by-country

Fig/:1

Additionally, fact check see the link below from OPEC

It cost about 30USD offshores and 15USD onshores.

https://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/data_graphs/40.htm

Quoting the GMD of NNPC
" Speaking at the CBN consultative roundtable forum, NNPC GMD, Abba Kyari had commented on how this could mean a disaster for Nigeria competing with countries which have low costs of production. At $23 per barrel, Nigeria has one of the highest oil production cost in the world."

So you see Nigeria has profited right from when the price crossed $35 per barrels howbeit differently based on the contracts signed with the oil operators viz JV, PSC and others.

And as per an Expat in this field, now working in Gulf, only Saudis breaks even at $10 per barrel cost since its cost of production is around 3-7 USD per barrels.

So let don let Bubu or any other deceive Nigerians, at this price Nigeria still profits from Onshore Fields.

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Nobody: 12:30pm On Mar 19, 2020
isnovic:

@Kekori you are actually not correct with the figures you quoted here here.
fact check:

It cost Nigeria approximately 14.10 USD to produce a barrel of crude oil.

see the following link:

https://knoema.com/rqaebad/cost-of-producing-a-barrel-of-crude-oil-by-country

Fig/:1

Additionally, fact check see the link below from OPEC

It cost about 30USD offshores and 15USD onshores.

https://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/data_graphs/40.htm

Quoting the GMD of NNPC
" Speaking at the CBN consultative roundtable forum, NNPC GMD, Abba Kyari had commented on how this could mean a disaster for Nigeria competing with countries which have low costs of production. At $23 per barrel, Nigeria has one of the highest oil production cost in the world."

So you see Nigeria has profited right from when the price crossed $35 per barrels howbeit differently based on the contracts signed with the oil operators viz JV, PSC and others.

And as per an Expat in this field, now working in Gulf, only Saudis breaks even at $10 per barrel cost since its cost of production is around 3-7 USD per barrels.

So let don let Bubu or any other deceive Nigerians, at this price Nigeria still profits from Onshore Fields.

You are right.

The problem is ,our population is too large and thus our Breakeven oil price is as high as 139 dollars per barrel.

Production price does not come into it. It is how much we can earn per barrel after the production costs have been paid that is important.

And the Breakeven price of oil is the amount at which we can sell oil, and make enough money to fund a balanced budget without need for loans or grants.

For Nigeria it is 139$,. Saudi 79, Russia 99. For more information see here https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.arabianbusiness.com/amp/article_listing/aben/kuwait-is-best-off-nigeria-worst-in-2017-oil-break-even-prices-669989.html

And by the way, my plan is not to defend Buhari but to tell Nigerians and their leaders that it is time to move from a oil dependent economy to a productive industrial economy. Hence my trotting out these stats

Nigeria needs to get off oil. Whether PDP or APC
Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by poiZon: 12:30pm On Mar 19, 2020
ProsperChild:

Source: https://punchng.com/breaking-oil-price-sinks-to-lowest-level-in-16-years/
Na to buy 50barrels keep so anytime e climb I Conor am sell.

Sense cannot kee me

1 Like

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by poiZon: 12:33pm On Mar 19, 2020
voltron14:

Nigerians generate an average of 2000 dollars annually.

What miracle are you expecting?

A man produces only 2 thousand dollars of wealth annually but believes he should be living like Jay-Z.

Get real.
So the billions they recovered from diezani, dasuki, etc nko
Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by poiZon: 12:36pm On Mar 19, 2020
voltron14:

Take out this leader, bring in a new set, the situation would be the same until the people realise they aren't actually inventive.
I disagree, just say my community is unimaginative, uneducated and highly unproductive.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by poiZon: 12:38pm On Mar 19, 2020
voltron14:

Let me tell you something.

When Abacha was president, Nigeria was under a choke hold, there was no electricity just like today but that was the period in which the Nigerian home video industry (Nollywood) became an African brand.

What of the Afro music that has gone global today, when did it germinate?
Same time as when Abacha was in power.

That is the kind of creativity we need in all spheres.

Today, we are talking of Coronavirus, how many protective Hazmat suits are being built in Nigeria?

How many masks are being built?

How many of the clothes in your closet are made in Nigeria?

Honestly, we lack productivity and it stems with the populace.
If u see one, u will criticise n tag it made In aba.

Some people r just so annoying n foolish

4 Likes

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Gerrard59(m): 12:40pm On Mar 19, 2020
kikero:

A big problem with power supply in this country for many years is that most Nigerians don't pay their bills.

Most Nigerians want power for free as well.

That's why NEPA failed and a big part of why the discos cannot function effectively

And the problem extends to government agencies.

The people that complain about the discos do so because they are regular payers and the pressure is on them.

Let's agree that residential Nigerians aren't willing to pay, what about Nigerians who operate commercial enterprises? How about electricity is only supplied to businesses instead of residents? Do you mean that businesses wouldn't want to pay electricity bills if provided with at least 18 hours of electricity daily?

1 Like

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Nobody: 12:42pm On Mar 19, 2020
Gerrard59:

Let's agree that residential Nigerians aren't willing to pay, what about Nigerians who operate commercial enterprises? How about electricity is only supplied to businesses instead of residents? Do you mean that businesses wouldn't want to pay electricity bills if provided with at least 18 hours of electricity daily?

The money generated won't be enough for the improvement needed,plus people would complain that they have been cutoff the main supply.

If we want light,we have to first accept it is expensive and not free of charge
Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Moukandjo: 12:42pm On Mar 19, 2020
voltron14:

How much is all of the Abacha loot from even when Obasanjo received it till date that you think it would balance our budget?
Bro, you dey mind these daft pdp sycophants?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Nobody: 12:51pm On Mar 19, 2020
kikero:

The money generated won't be enough for the improvement needed,plus people would complain that they have been cutoff the main supply.

If we want light,we have to first accept it is expensive and not free of charge
Let everyone be metered so they can monitor their consumption. we won’t pay estimated metering.
Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by PLAYBOX22: 12:56pm On Mar 19, 2020
voltron14:
B

We are not doing even close to enough.

Less than 1% of the population involved in a trade that brings in less than 2% of the total GDP isn't the yardstick you wish to measure with.

The common man should be in tangible production, be it of bathroom slippers or zippers.

The cost of labour is extremely low in Nigeria, which in itself should drive productivity as a significant factor of production but it doesn't.

We must produce.

Produce or perish
Have Aba not been productive enough to get effective sponsorship from the government?

How do you follow your dreams locked in a prison?

The government don't believe in the potentials of the people, non visionary, audio, clueless, selfish, corrupt, and slave to the western government is what we have as governance in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by ksstroud: 12:59pm On Mar 19, 2020
Let it go down to $5

2 Likes

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Moukandjo: 12:59pm On Mar 19, 2020
Yankee101:

Ebola was stopped in it's tracks

You see where your paucity of cerebellum shows?
See him mouth! "Ebola was stopped in its tracks"... By Adadevoh wey dey PDP or by the proactive Fashola wey dey PDP, ba?
And how transmissible was Ebola compared to Corona? Abi you get sense pass the many African & world powers wey dey struggle to contain this Corona that's bringing the world to a standstill, ba?

You wan use grammar wey you no understand cover your daftness..
Abeg wetin be "paucity of cerebellum"? grin

1 Like

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Emmaxx: 1:01pm On Mar 19, 2020
voltron14:

Sir, are you a Nigerian? If yes. Do you include yourself among the unproductive Nigerians? If your answer is no, then explain to us what productive way you've contributed to our ailing economy. Thanks. shocked
Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by InvertedHammer: 1:05pm On Mar 19, 2020
vicdom:
embarassed
E don red now. This is the time our pseudo change and next level government should bring out all the audio recovered loots, trillions saved in TSA, customs and et al and fund our budget. I don't wanna hear story oooo. Because all these acclaimed monies are suffice for our budget funding. Very useless and clueless government with dimwitted zombies as apologists. undecided
/
Nothing will change. The government was good at manufacturing excuses and propaganda for non performance when things were normal. Now that everyone knows that oil price is low, the excuse has delivered itself. It is going to be a bumpy ride. But who cares? Nigerians chose him.

\
Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Yankee101: 1:09pm On Mar 19, 2020
Moukandjo:

See him mouth! "Ebola was stopped in its tracks"... By Adadevoh wey dey PDP or by the proactive Fashola wey dey PDP, ba?
And how transmissible was Ebola compared to Corona? Abi you get sense pass the many African & world powers wey dey struggle to contain this Corona that's bringing the world to a standstill, ba?

You wan use grammar wey you no understand cover your daftness..
Abeg wetin be "paucity of cerebellum"? grin

Oga use your dictionary. My papa pay for school just like your papa too. If you no listen for class no be my fault.

Fatality rate for Ebola is 90%. COVID-19 is 4%. Kids are still partying in Miami. If you think Ebola was less virulent then awake from your APC sozzled charade.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Moukandjo: 1:31pm On Mar 19, 2020
Yankee101:

Oga use your dictionary. My papa pay for school just like your papa too. If you no listen for class no be my fault.

Fatality rate for Ebola is 90%. COVID-19 is 4%. Kids are still partying in Miami. If you think Ebola was less virulent then awake from your APC sozzled charade.
Your papa pay for school wey them dey teach you say there's anything like "paucity of cerebellum"? Nawa o! Nothing wey we no go see for Nairaland....
No dey use grammar wey you no sabi so that you won't seem dumber than you actually are. grin

And I'm talking about transmission rate, you're talking about fatality. Comprehension sef hard for you. No wonder you dey speak "paucity of cerebellum" grin
Many other diseases including Malaria & typhoid have more fatality than Corona but why is Corona causing the world to standstill? You no know wetin dey go on around you, ba?
US & the rest of the world powers wey don get thousands of Corona virus cases in just under 2 months no get sense, ba? Na only your PDP get sense because of Ebola wey na even Adadevoh & Fashola get glory for, ba?
Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by Yankee101: 1:51pm On Mar 19, 2020
Moukandjo:

Your papa pay for school wey them dey teach you say there's anything like "paucity of cerebellum"? Nawa o! Nothing wey we no go see for Nairaland....
No dey use grammar wey you no sabi so that you won't seem dumber than you actually are. grin

And I'm talking about transmission rate, you're talking about fatality. Comprehension sef hard for you. No wonder you dey speak "paucity of cerebellum" grin
Many other diseases including Malaria & typhoid have more fatality than Corona but why is Corona causing the world to standstill? You no know wetin dey go on around you, ba?
US & the rest of the world powers wey don get thousands of Corona virus cases in just under 2 months no get sense, ba? Na only your PDP get sense because of Ebola wey na even Adadevoh & Fashola get glory for, ba?

The world is at a standstill because
1. It's a new virus
2. Poor response time
3. No vaccines or cure
4. Pure and sheer panic

Incase you've not been reading the news all the countries you mentioned didn't take it serious when they should, including here in the US where I live. As at Monday some schools were still open. The UK wanted it to spread and thin out naturally. Trump said the hot weather will stop it.

Is your head buried in the sand like the ostrich or are you just interested in blind arguments not based on facts?

Plus, that you have never come across a word, phrase or adjective does not imply it's none existence. Up your game, go back to school oga

1 Like

Re: Oil Price Sinks To Lowest Level In 16 Years by PLAYBOX22: 1:52pm On Mar 19, 2020
voltron14:

So it's the closure of borders of 6 months that rendered Nigerians unproductive for 60 years?

Oga face reality!

How many Nigerian made products do you even patronize knowing they don't have good quality?

Money don't go round in this country, is the real problem!

Almost everything is imported and the government is not effectively doing anything to sponsor or assist (quality) productivity in the country, which is part of the causes of ineffective productivity in Nigeria. The gov will rather invest money on one audio rubbish!!

The little Nigerians produces is without quality because of the kind of self support the producers have. Meanwhile in a country like Nigeria, no good quality, no patronizing and the government knows this very well.

Even dangote was somehow assisted by the gov to make it big.

All the money brought in by Yahoo boys and others (like they say) still leaves the country in one way or the other (based on purchases)

We have Nigerians aiding know companies overseas make names. You think we don't have the same kind of persons living among us here in Nigeria?

The govt don't believe in what you can do! They belive in what they can achieve from you before their tenor runs out.

Nigeria is a Dream Killer (if you let it) ....Travel out if you can, then come back when you've made it (if you want) periodt!!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Ibori Sentencing: Live Updates / Underage Voters In Bayelsa Election (pics) / Checkout What APC Posted On Twitter (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.