Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,432 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Soyinka Asks Jonathan To Intervene In Ogun Crisis. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Asks Jonathan To Intervene In Ogun Crisis. (496 Views)

Cleric Asks Jonathan To Sign Anti-gay Bill Into Law / Buhari Asks Jonathan To Resign Over Insecurity / Senate Asks Jonathan To Revert Petrol Pump Price To N65 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Soyinka Asks Jonathan To Intervene In Ogun Crisis. by Gbawe: 11:13am On Dec 25, 2010
You need not have wasted your time sir. Your request goes into one "business as usual" ear and come out of another do-or-die" ear of a man determined to be President in 2011 by all means even if that includes ignoring open gangsterism and criminality.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5657023-146/soyinka_asks_jonathan_to_intervene_in.csp

Soyinka asks Jonathan to intervene in Ogun

By Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji

Nobel laureate, Wole Soyinka has announced plans to retire from public life soon, saying he is concluding arrangements towards this and the decision is final.

The 76-year-old literary giant told NEXT during the week in an exclusive interview which he said would be his last formal interview with any media organisation that, "Let me add this, I am withdrawing from public life. I have being announcing it serially. I am withdrawing from public life. I have to concentrate on a number of other things. It is something that has been going on in my mind for years."

Mr Soyinka, whose recent attempt to intervene in the political crisis rocking Ogun State was disrupted by thugs in Abeokuta, said that was also likely to be his last public political event. He, however, called on President Goodluck Jonathan, with whom he read books to school children at an event in Lagos last Monday, to intervene by facilitating the reopening of the state House of Assembly that was shut in September.

[b]"I sat with the President in camera, I said what is happening in Ogun State is a disgrace. It brings shame to any pretence to democratic governance. Get the House of Assembly to re-open and make sure those who go there are protected," he said.

Although he did not reveal the president's response, Mr Soyinka said he told Mr Jonathan that, "an individual or cabal cannot shut down House of Assembly, it means democracy had been terminated in Ogun State." [/b]He said the interview was another final opportunity for him to announce his semi-retirement to the world.

"When Desmond Tutu did that, I say I have people to point to, to say they have shown the way. So, my date to retire from public life is coming very soon. This interview will be my last interview," he said.

Open to all

Mr Soyinka also said he has nothing against religious people, so long as they don't oppress those who don't practice the same faith with them because he believes that religion is a personal thing.

"I have nothing against the churches, I have nothing against mosques, I have nothing against temples, against shrines. I am a very different person," he said. "I like to go deep inside myself and carry out certain, and that satisfies me. So, I don't worry myself going to church on Sundays, going to Mosque on Fridays or going to Seventh Day Adventist."

On the type of burial he wanted, Mr Soyinka said he would prefer to be buried in Abeokuta, but with a proviso that, "if I died before democracy is restored in Ogun State, I think I might add to my will that I should either be kept on ice or temporarily buried somewhere else in Nigeria".

(1) (Reply)

Grpc Green Revolutonary People's Council / Tinubu Endorses Fashola For Second Term / 2011: I’m Ready For Public Debate – Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.